Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Training Class for the women????

Quote Originally Posted by Ladi View Post
    For people on the other side of the state, my husband and I are NRA-certified pistol instructors in the Philly area and have taught several couples how to shoot or given refreshers to one person and taught their partners how to shoot. In fact, our preference is to teach couples together. We'd be happy to discuss doing something similar for PAFOA members.
    Where do you teach at? My wife is waiting for her LTCF and has been shown how to shoot by me and has taken a 1hr basic handgun course at FCO but she is always up for more practice with me. She's been shooting off and on for about 16 years now.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    The weather should have broken up here by then.

I'm interested. No spouse though.
    Michele,

Attend with your son. I'm not going to restrict anyone from attending. The only issue is you'd need to find someone to pair up with you. Maybe someone from down this way would be interested?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Michele,

Attend with your son. I'm not going to restrict anyone from attending. The only issue is you'd need to find someone to pair up with you. Maybe someone from down this way would be interested?
    Humm. I thought about my son.
    The guns would be the issue. Right now the only guns I have available is the .9mm and .38. Its not really in my budget at this time to purchase another handgun, being I just completed the AR build.

Lets see how this thread goes. Maybe someone else might be interested in being my S/O for a day.

My son and me will be taking the Apr 27th class! His background check is all done, so, we are good to go!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    My son and me will be taking the Apr 27th class! His background check is all done, so, we are good to go!
    Don't forget to print out that page and include it with his enrollment form. If you didn't I think it's just a matter of logging back on to the PATCH web page. It should let you view and print the results page.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Don't forget to print out that page and include it with his enrollment form. If you didn't I think it's just a matter of logging back on to the PATCH web page. It should let you view and print the results page.
    Way ahead of ya' Tony!
    I fortunately wasn't having a senior moment when I did it. I printed 3 copies of....everything!

(Butler County)

My wife and I will be signing up to attend this class. The enrollment form will be in the mail Tuesday since Monday is Holiday.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    Where do you teach at? My wife is waiting for her LTCF and has been shown how to shoot by me and has taken a 1hr basic handgun course at FCO but she is always up for more practice with me. She's been shooting off and on for about 16 years now.
    Our 'home' range is Targetmaster in Chadds Ford. We also shoot at Delaware County Field & Stream. Our teaching sessions are rarely formal or much bigger than a handful of people.

Note, though that NRA Basic is *very* basic and probably won't be particularly useful for people who are have basic handling skills, but it will cover a bit more terminology/fundamentals than one might pick up just from range time.

(Allegheny County)

In my limited experience, couples should not attend training together. At the very least, if they do, they should be at opposite ends of the line. Women in general are very receptive to instruction but not instruction from their husband.

FWIW, Vicki Farnam I believe will be in Coraopolis in May, and she sort of specializes in teaching women.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    In my limited experience, couples should not attend training together. At the very least, if they do, they should be at opposite ends of the line. Women in general are very receptive to instruction but not instruction from their husband.
    That's why we separate couples and don't have them teach or supervise each other. We do, however, encourage them to learn how to shoot together respectfully. It rarely hurts to point out how the women are picking up on the fundamentals faster (as is nearly inevitable - they often pay closer attention!) and give the men some exposure to shooting with women who aren't their partners and who are competent shooters.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast