Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Training Class for the women????

Me and mine may be interested. I guess it would depend on what we dont have that we would need etc... but its possible

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    Me and mine may be interested. I guess it would depend on what we dont have that we would need etc... but its possible
    We make some of our personal gear available for students but please understand we can't outfit an entire class.

(Allegheny County)

You can add two more for the couples class if you decide to do it.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    We make some of our personal gear available for students but please understand we can't outfit an entire class.
    I have my own guns to bring, but how about a house stock of supplied girlfriends?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    That is why the question was put out there. Want imput on which class would be prefered.

My betterhalf would be more comfortable with me there. Bit shy at first.

But I wanted to see what the rest of you thought. I am signing my betterhalf up for a class this spring. Just thought it might be neat to do one for PAFOA members if we can get enough interest.
    When I have taken classes with couples, the instructor generally seperates the couples, which in my opinion is a good idea. It removes the pressure from the less experienced and lessens the distraction of checking how your partner is doing.

Those of you who choose a handgun for your partner should make sure the gun fits the partner's hand and that partner is capable of working the action (pulling the slide back to check the chamber--able to reach the mag release without changing grip---loading mags). You should also make sure your partner can shoot the pistol and manage the recoil.

You may want to clarify with Tony as far as minimal caliber size, have an open topped holster which won't require 2 hands to reholster, have a belt mounted mag holder.

When everything is set up right, it minimizes time spent with equipment issues and maximizes training time.

It will also make the attendees aware of what doesn't work with their equipment selection.

Just a few hints. You have until spring to work out the details.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

If/When this happens, add another couple to the list.

(Lancaster County)

I think we need a class just for bald men. I am not really comfortable around people with full head of hair.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bubba23 View Post
    I think we need a class just for bald men. I am not really comfortable around people with full head of hair.

I never was either but with a requirement of having to don a ballcap, it relieved some of the anxiety.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Cambria County)

Wow, we are up to 4 couples. OH, and some one looking for a partner. Hey, if you don't have one. Show up anyway. This was just a way to entice the women to show up that were hesitant. I know my better half was a bit hesitant to take the class by herself. But she likes this idea.

So, good job everyone. Looks like we are well on our way to setting up PAFOA Handgun Clinic.

I will be buying the better half a pistol this winter. Thanks for the tips 27hand. All of them are welcomed.

She did shoot my XD and felt it was a bit thick for her hands. Right now I'm leaning toward an M&P. I'm taking her to the gun shop and trying out the M&P to see how it fits her hand.

Buddy I shoot IDPA has one, so does his girlfriend, so she may be able to shoot one. Really wish I had made the PAFOA shoot so she could have tried some different pistols. We still may try to make one before the snow flies.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Lehigh County)

The Lehigh Valley Police Revolver League (It's a Bullseye shooting league- nothing to do with revolvers or police, but they keep the name to honor the fact that they're the longest continuing league in the land) always devotes the first couple of sessions to newbies- women or men. They teach range safety, target acquisition, more range safety, timing, more range safety....you get the idea. They are located at the Hellertown Sportsman's Club just south of Hellertown. I believe HSA has a website, too.
    It's very inexpensive to join the league, and classes are free...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast