Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Hand gun registery wtf.

So tonight while having a talk with an off duty police officer. We were talking and he said "if someone is carrying, and we stop them for something, they have to show proof of owner ship or we'll get it in the system..."

I said:"What registry? Handguns dont have to be registered, only a record of sale when you buy it."
    Him:"No there is a registry I can take your serial number, and it will tell me who owns that gun. I've done it for cases with stolen guns and whatnot."

So I doubted him and got told

"Come to the station I will show you its there"

So wtf is that? Is there one I dont know about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

Default Re: Hand gun registery wtf.

wait, you mean the cops violate the law and use the sales database as a registry? never! cops would never violate the law

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    "Come to the station I will show you its there"
    DO IT, make him show you and write everything down that you see. I am willing to bet that if you call him on it that he will weasel out of it some way.

That said, there is a registry of a sort, it is the stolen firearms registry at NCIC and police can query it if they recover or take into evidence a gun. But it will not show a gun that has not been entered into this database.

Again, I would call him out on showing you the database.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Dauphin County)

I sure hope you take him up on the offer. Maybe take a voice recorder with you (if legal).
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    DO IT, make him show you and write everything down that you see. I am willing to bet that if you call him on it that he will weasel out of it some way.

That said, there is a registry of a sort, it is the stolen firearms registry at NCIC and police can query it if they recover or take into evidence a gun. But it will not show a gun that has not been entered into this database.

Again, I would call him out on showing you the database.
    That's what I was saying it's only good for lost or stolen. However I got told no.

Atleast he knows open carry is legal ha. I'll wait and find out what happens. I'm sure we'll talk again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

(Northampton County)

So I would have to prove something I own is not stolen?? I would have to prove I'm not guilty?? Would this also apply to my cell phone or the cash in my wallet or just a firearm?? Where did this guy get his cop training.....N.Korea.....Iran....perhaps the former Soviet Union.....??

(Monroe County)

This exact bullshit happened to snakeman21 when he was illegally detained for open carrying. The trooper said his gun wasn't in the registry, and he wanted to know who snakeman stole it from.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, and the situation, many handguns aren't updated into the PSP's "registry" for up to 6 months after purchase, if at all (paperwork lost by the psp).
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

I'd assume he was talking about the sales database, and not the lost/stolen one as it probably has the majority of legally owned firearms in PA in it and they(cops) do have access to it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    This exact bullshit happened to snakeman21 when he was illegally detained for open carrying. The trooper said his gun wasn't in the registry, and he wanted to know who snakeman stole it from.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, and the situation, many handguns aren't updated into the PSP's "registry" for up to 6 months after purchase, if at all (paperwork lost by the psp).
    and that's IF you bought it in PA. Folks who move in after having purchased in another state...their firearm would never show up in this database. That's why they should NOT have access to the database.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    and that's IF you bought it in PA. Folks who move in after having purchased in another state...their firearm would never show up in this database. That's why they should NOT have access to the database.
    Don't forget FTF sales, and gifting in PA is also legal so there are many reasons it's incomplete.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast