Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default is carrying at an amtrack station legal?

since it's owned by the feds, would cc/oc be legal at the station or is that a no go? I should have been more clear, I'm just picking up someone, not boarding a train.
    Last edited by cigarmanpa; June 29th, 2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: additional info

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: is carrying at an amtrack station legal?

Having just taken a trip on Amtrak and read through their FAQs before hand, I know the following:

After December 2010 Amtrak must provide storage facilities in stations and on trains for the secure placement of Firearms.

To quote their website:
    "Firearms in Checked Baggage

The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010, enacted into law on December 16, 2009, requires Amtrak to implement the procedures necessary to provide storage and carriage of firearms in checked baggage cars and at Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage, within one year of the bill’s enactment. This requirement applies solely to checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Amtrak’s current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearm carriage service by December 2010."

The only specification I see made is on trains, however since this IS the Fed. Gov't I won't advise you that stations are okay, simply because it doesn't specifically disallow them, I'm just dropping the information I know.

EDIT:

In a PDF File outlining the upcoming Checked Firearms Planning it states the following:
    "Amtrak will also work closely with owners/landlords of the stations where Amtrak is a tenant, as well as local law enforcement, first responders and stakeholders to ensure that all parties are aware of the enhanced baggage services that Amtrak will be providing."

Again the article I'm referencing is in notice of the new policy for Transporting Firearms, however the wording in the PDF File seems to be making note that at least some Amtrak Stations are not Federal Property, so this brings us to research phase where it becomes necessary to determine which station you'll be at and it's stance with ownership.
    Last edited by TheFue; June 29th, 2010 at 03:20 PM.
    Man its one thing to suffer for your country, Its another to do so because of it...

I thought Obama signed a bill into law to either allow or continue to allow carry on mass transits and then another bill to allow or reinstate the carry of firearms in national parks?

(Berks County)

i should have been more clear, I'm just picking up someone at the station not getting on a train

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    I thought Obama signed a bill into law to either allow or continue to allow carry on mass transits and then another bill to allow or reinstate the carry of firearms in national parks?
    The National Park and Amtrak thing were on two different bills. Both passed.

With the Amtrak bill, transporting will be much like flying. No on-person carry, but you can check the firearm in luggage when traveling on Amtrak rails.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The National Park and Amtrak thing were on two different bills. Both passed.

With the Amtrak bill, transporting will be much like flying. No on-person carry, but you can check the firearm in luggage when traveling on Amtrak rails.
    Ah gotchya thank you sir

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFue View Post
    Again the article I'm referencing is in notice of the new policy for Transporting Firearms, however the wording in the PDF File seems to be making note that at least some Amtrak Stations are not Federal Property...
    It is correct. My colleagues are working on this thing now with feds and local transit agencies. I'll keep PAFOA posted once I'll hear anything from them regarding either particular measures or the timeline.

(Pike County)

As of the OP:

It is not legal to carry any firearms at Amtrak facilities. Period.

BTW, just got an update about the date. After December 18th you can bring unloaded firearms in hard sided cases and present them for carriage in Amtrak checked baggage, similar to the way you would on an airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    As of the OP:

It is not legal to carry any firearms at Amtrak facilities. Period.

BTW, just got an update about the date. After December 18th you can bring unloaded firearms in hard sided cases and present them for carriage in Amtrak checked baggage, similar to the way you would on an airplane.
    thanks for the info, but do you have a citation for this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast