Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Timney trigger in a Tactical savage 308 is it worth it?

Timney trigger in a Tactical savage .308 is it worth it? I'm thinking about trying to put a Timney trigger in my rifle a gunsmith has quoted me $65 + $99/$105 trigger nearly $170 for a trigger job. How hard is it to put in DIY? And what is the best price you have heard of?

I have no problem with 1" MOA out to 300 yards but past that I need that 2lb or 1.5lb trigger over the 5 to 6lb trigger I'm firing. I hear the Rem700 can be adjusted to these lighter weights and lighter advantage Rem700 but that's a $700-$900 rifle without the scope and rings. I'm already in deep with savage now should I do a trigger job?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Timney trigger in a Tactical savage 308 is it worth it?

Don't see why not. You said that you need a lighter trigger than the stock trigger in your rifle. Sounds like you answered your own question.

Now as far as you doing it yourself ... Can't help you there. I would probably have a pro do it because I would mess it up some how.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Years ago I my father built me a 308 out of an israeli barrel and Mauser bolt action receiver. And for a trigger, we considered a Timney, but we found an alternative from a manufacturer named Bold that was just as good, effective, and cheaper. You might consider a Bold trigger in your rifle

Timney triggers are nice. Although they are a little expensive, a quality trigger that breaks like glass and is reliable, is worth it. With a Savage you don't quite have as many options for triggers as a Remington 700, but there are starting to be more options, and they are good. I don't care what people tell you, the new Remington triggers can be adjusted down lower, but they eventually screw up or start getting inconsistent. If you want one that's worth a dang, it usually means you have to respring them, polish them, and adjust them. For all taht much trouble, lots of peopl would just rather buy an aftermarket one, put it in and be done with it.

Along with Timney triggers, some other options that you might check out are Rifle Basix, SSS triggers, and some people like Jard. I have no experience with most of those, but people I know and trust have had good experience with Rifle Basix and the SSS triggers, I personally have felt the Timney, and it feels good. I hear from some places that the Jard is nice, but I have never used one. I don't believe that Bold makes a trigger for Savage.

Do you not have an accu-trigger in your Savage? If you do, it's also adjustable down to a pretty low weight. I'm not as familiar with the specifics of smithing on the Savages as I am the Remington 700, but I know that there ARE some differences in the trigger group and the way it functions between the NON accu-trigger, and accu-trigger models. They sometimes need some modifications, although I don't know specifically what they are. I know that different designers will make different triggers to replace the accumark or non accumark triggers. If you buy the right one, I imagine that you won't have to do any real modifications. Just some things to look at, and some instructions to help you know what you're getting into, you can look here.

http://www.switchbarrel.com/Savage%2...SSSInstall.htm << SSS trigger

http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?...nsp72joenbmeh2 <<Rifle Basix

http://www.jardinc.com/index.php?opt...d=16&Itemid=38 << Jard

From the looks of it, you would be able to do it yourself, but you have to at least be slightly mechanically proficient. It's not something an idiot can do, but someone that can follow directions, and pays attention CAN do. Hope this helps you out a little bit, the video on the Rifle Basix page may help you out a little more, and I'm pretty sure the DVD comes with their trigger. Good luck.

I take it that your Savage is a pre accutrigger model? I am not a fan of the accutrigger myself. I had one on my rifle and opted to have it replaced with the SSS trigger.

Timney's are suppose to be pretty good..I've never owned one, so I cannot comment.

Remington triggers can be reworked, which is why gunsmiths like working on Remingtons so much.

You should be able to install the Timney yourself and save some money from paying a smith to install it for you.

I'm at work so I can't view the install videos but thanks for the information I'll see if I can't E-mail the videos to my home Inbox.

I really like this rifle so I think when I save some money for this purpose I'll try to get a Timney, SSS or Bastix trigger, if I try to do it myself. I asked about other triggers and this gunsmith said that he would guarantee the Timney trigger saying that is the one he has the most experience installing. I'd think a trigger is a trigger anyway all I want is a trigger that break like glass.

Should I go lower then 2lb or 1.5lb? I'm doing fine with the 5-6lb trigger inside 250-300 yards, What's the difference besides wind shear at ranges outside 250 yards?