Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Qualify a Shotgun for Defense?

Just bought Mossy 500 for HD. For my handguns, I put about 300 flawless of practice ammo through, then about 100 of HD stuff, BEFORE I carry or load it up and trust it with my life. Any issues, I start over.

I have no clue how to think about a semi-auto shot gun. Is there a rule of thumb for these guys?

Default Re: Qualify a Shotgun for Defense?

I'd like to see this semi-automatic Mossberg 500...

At any rate, I've shot a couple boxes through my 500 and feel confident using it should the need arise. I'm sure someone will chime in and call me an idiot, though.

I used a Mossy 500 for years trap shooting. When it was dirty I would get a soft primer strike say, 1 out 200 but never when it was clean. It is set up for home defense right now.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Philadelphia County)

You're sure its a semi-auto? If yes, you sure its a Mossberg 500?

Assuming there's been some confusion and you're talking about a pump-action Mossy 500 I'd say buy yourself a box or 2 of 00 buck and pattern it at 5-10-15-25yds and see what she can do. That'll give you an idea of how she patterns in case you ever need to use that firearm for HD.

As for reliability, its a pump-action shotgun. Not much you can do to break them, however some that I've handled have problems if you rack the slide too fast. Double-feeds are a big pain in the ass and rather hard to unjam. Also had a remington 870 with a sticky mag at one point; tube wouldn't feed shells reliably and I'd often find myself ejecting an empty without a new shell being chambered. Turned out to be a little stuck piece of a twig wrapped up in the mag tube spring :S

Past that craziness though, an M500 shouldn't give you too much trouble. Just practice.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Mumit View Post
    You're sure its a semi-auto? If yes, you sure its a Mossberg 500?

Assuming there's been some confusion and you're talking about a pump-action Mossy 500 I'd say buy yourself a box or 2 of 00 buck and pattern it at 5-10-15-25yds and see what she can do. That'll give you an idea of how she patterns in case you ever need to use that firearm for HD.

As for reliability, its a pump-action shotgun. Not much you can do to break them, however some that I've handled have problems if you rack the slide too fast. Double-feeds are a big pain in the ass and rather hard to unjam. Also had a remington 870 with a sticky mag at one point; tube wouldn't feed shells reliably and I'd often find myself ejecting an empty without a new shell being chambered. Turned out to be a little stuck piece of a twig wrapped up in the mag tube spring :S

Past that craziness though, an M500 shouldn't give you too much trouble. Just practice.
    00 Buck is great for shooting thru car doors or walls. Why would you use it for defense in a home ?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Fierro View Post
    00 Buck is great for shooting thru car doors or walls. Why would you use it for defense in a home ?
    Because he wants to stop the person not lightly season their hide.
    Great job!

(Lancaster County)

Cant go wrong with a mossburg 500...tried and true
    Gott mit uns

As for reliability, its a pump-action shotgun.

I don't agree. Many pump shotguns intended for HD are in the hands of less experienced shooters. The possibility that, under duress, the gun will be
    "short stroked" by the operator are considerably higher than having a semi jam.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockedAndLoaded View Post
    Because he wants to stop the person not lightly season their hide.
    Exactly. I use slugs in my HD shotgun. I also live in the middle of the woods with nobody else. Until you understand a little about someone's situation, don't decry their choices.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Alvah View Post
    I don't agree. Many pump shotguns intended for HD are in the hands of less experienced shooters. The possibility that, under duress, the gun will be
    "short stroked" by the operator are considerably higher than having a semi jam.
    True, nothing is a substitute for training.
    Great job!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast