Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interesting situation I'm in...

Okay, so I'm a MD transplant and have been living in York county for the past 2 years or so. I avoided letting go of my MD license for a while but when I purchased my Savage MKII and had it shipped to PA I realized I needed to get my driver's license switched over. That was about 4 months ago. Had no trouble with my transfer even with my 3 day-old PA DL.

I mailed in my application and check for my LTCF early last week.

I purchased a Sig Sauer P238 and it arrived at my transfer dealer this past Friday. I stopped in, filled out the paperwork and they came back saying that I needed further investigation. Okay...? I assume that the process for a regulated vs non-regulated firearm is different, chalked it up to me only having my license for a few months. No big deal.

Got an email this morning from my local Sheriff's office saying my LTCF ready to be picked up. So, I can have my LTCF but no gun?

My question is, does anyone know if the police would have locked my records while they were in the process of investigating me for my LTCF? I thought maybe that was why they had to put me on hold.

I'm going to call my transfer dealer when he opens today and ask him to call back, and will also ask the people at my local law enforcement office tomorrow when I go pick it up-- Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation before or can shed some light.

Thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Interesting situation I'm in...

There is no mechanism to "lock" your records or any such things.

What is most likely is that the PSP PICS system has flagged you for some reason other then a new drivers license or being a new resident to PA. I am not sure of the amount of time that the PSP is allowed to take for "further investigation." However, with your PA LTCF you can borrow a firearm from another person, if they are willing to lend it to you.

Feel free to contact the PSP:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

I must warn you, they are not advocates of your rights and they are not the most adept at the law.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Adams County)

Do you have your (somewhat) permanent PA D/L ? or the two week version they hand out until they finish checking your picture to make sure you are not someone else ? I assume process is the same in other counties for new D/L's.

Not saying this is the cause in your situation, just a thought...

Even long time gun buyers/LTCF holders sometimes get put into research when buying a gun.

The system could be very busy, your name may be similar to a bad guy and they are making sure that you're OK, the PICS operator doesn't feel like dealing with your info right then... all could be possible causes for the delay.

Did you provide your soc. sec. number on the form to buy the gun (optional, but sometimes makes things go smoother)?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    There is no mechanism to "lock" your records or any such things.

What is most likely is that the PSP PICS system has flagged you for some reason other then a new drivers license or being a new resident to PA. I am not sure of the amount of time that the PSP is allowed to take for "further investigation." However, with your PA LTCF you can borrow a firearm from another person, if they are willing to lend it to you.

Feel free to contact the PSP:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

I must warn you, they are not advocates of your rights and they are not the most adept at the law.
    Fortunately I have other firearms I can carry in the meantime, but I'd really like to get my Sig so I can put a bunch of rounds through it and prepare it for daily use.

My transfer dealer said it could be up to 3 weeks. Thanks for the contact info, I may try contacting them.

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    Do you have your (somewhat) permanent PA D/L ? or the two week version they hand out until they finish checking your picture to make sure you are not someone else ? I assume process is the same in other counties for new D/L's.

Not saying this is the cause in your situation, just a thought...
    I got my permanent DL a few days after I got the temp one. It's been somewhere around 4 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Even long time gun buyers/LTCF holders sometimes get put into research when buying a gun.

The system could be very busy, your name may be similar to a bad guy and they are making sure that you're OK, the PICS operator doesn't feel like dealing with your info right then... all could be possible causes for the delay.

Did you provide your soc. sec. number on the form to buy the gun (optional, but sometimes makes things go smoother)?
    Gotcha-- My transfer dealer said something about my name being similar to a bad guy... It was after 9pm on a Friday night, so the lazy operator may have just not felt like dealing with it. I did provde my SSN cause I really wanted to take the gun home! Haha..
    Last edited by littlebr4d; June 28th, 2010 at 11:28 AM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by littlebr4d View Post
    I did provde my SSN cause I really wanted to take the gun home! Haha..
    It doesn't matter one bit. PICS (illegally) queries the PennDOT driver license DB to acquire it even if you don't provide it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

... My transfer dealer said something about my name being similar to a bad guy...
    See what happens when your name is Alphonse Capone?

Seriously, hope it comes thru quickly for you

(Montgomery County)

It was after 9pm on a Friday night, so the lazy operator may have just not felt like dealing with it.
    ^^^ I'm leaning toward this.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    It doesn't matter one bit. PICS (illegally) queries the PennDOT driver license DB to acquire it even if you don't provide it.
    Wow, nice to know... I was just providing it because the form said it would help the process.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    See what happens when your name is Alphonse Capone?

Seriously, hope it comes thru quickly for you
    Haha, yeah-- thanks a lot, DAD! :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Devrbd View Post
    ^^^ I'm leaning toward this.
    Me too. I'm going to call my dealer today and see if he'll call again.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Yeah. I had a FFL tell me that if I didn't write it on the form, PICS gave it to them on the phone and the FFL would write it in.

I'm confused on how it can be "optional" if they are going to require it be on the form anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast