Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Thunder in the Valley

This weekend was Thunder in the Valley, Johnstown’s large, city wide motorcycle rally, which usually caters to the Harley type. On Saturday I realized my tube buggy needed a brake caliper so I had to run to the Advance Auto parts in downtown Johnstown in the Moxam area (Central Ave), because, naturally the only store that has the part I need requires I ride through a huge congested motorcycle rally. I had intentions of going to the rally later while OCing so I thought might as well start early. I rode through town on my Ninja with my XD on my right side in a Serpa Level 2 retention holster without a single issue.

The only conversation I had with anyone about carry was with the manager at Advance Auto parts. I was being waited on by a guy behind the counter and as I kneeled down to put a part in my backpack the manager approached me on my strong side.

Manager: “At least you’re smart enough to carry out there haha”

Me: “Ya, it can get pretty wild sometimes haha”

Manager to the guy behind the counter: “See that is just like the XD we were shooting last weekend…*Insert small talk about XD’s*”

Me: “So are you a member of PAFOA?”

Manager: “No, just the NRA.”

Me: “*Hands him a pamphlet* Here have a look at this and check out the website it’s a great site”

Manager: “Oh interesting, thanks”.

And that was that. The ride back was uneventful. I rode right through lots of people and right by some law enforcement officers that didn’t even bat an eye. They might not have noticed me OCing though. I was wearing a dark blue t-shirt and pants, like a mechanic wears.

That was all before noon. That evening I went back up with a pretty little blond hanging onto the back of the bike and once again, my XD on my right side with no intentions of covering it up. I had on brighter colors so you could definitely notice it.

We rode up to Windber, saw the stunt team perform, hung out by the Big Rubbers 4x4 club demo awhile and talked with some people I knew. Even ate food at the firemen's tent. Not even the people I ran into that I knew said anything.

I was kind of disappointed I didn’t get to enlighten anyone on gun carry rights in PA, but on the other hand I was also please that I wasn’t approached by any of the security or LEO’s that were walking around the event and I was right in some big tight crowds and no one shied away or anything. I did notice one older guy eyeballing me for awhile but he eventually gave it up when he realized I wasn’t a bad guy or something.

So I had a good first OC experience. I have OCed a few times before at the local gas station but this was what I would consider “the real deal” and it went perfectly. I can only hope the next time goes just as smooth.

Look out Johnstown Walmart, here I come!
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; June 27th, 2010 at 08:40 PM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Default Re: Thunder in the Valley

fun rally didnt get to go this time dad wouldn't let me borrow the bike lol ... anyway sounds like a good experience hopefully we get a new member!
    Attached Images Attached Images

GJ on havin the pamphlet! If you caught my recent thread (and other ppl's as well), there will be bad encounters. Just gotta make the best of it!

(Bucks County)

It is a great rally. I hope to attend next year.

(Westmoreland County)

I was wondering where all the bikes were going on Rt 30. Glad you had a good time. Stay safe.

(Clinton County)

Did you stop by the Wheels and Wings in my old town?

(Washington County)

Not familiar with wheels and wings. I didn't hang around downtown much, just in Windber I was on foot.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    Not familiar with wheels and wings. I didn't hang around downtown much, just in Windber I was on foot.
    Its the night before the event on Thursday. They have a huge wing off in Ebensburg PA.