Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default A Great Day Shooting with New Shooters

Went out today to SGL range at Scotia (State College) to meet up with some fellow PAFOAers and some PSU students that wanted to learn to shoot. One girl was from Malaysia, so she probably will not get a chance to shoot anymore when she returns home in mid July. None had ever fired a gun before.

I took a Ruger Single Six for them to shoot. Went over all the safety aspects, safety equipment, what a sight picture was, determining eye dominance, how to properly grip the gun, etc., etc. and took them to the pistol range. We started out at about 7 yards. All shot very well for the first time and had a great time, taking pictures of their targets and them holding and aiming the gun, etc.

They took a break from me and were shooting a S&W 22A that belonged to one of the other guys out shooting with his grandson. Then they got to shoot another persons XD (9mm I think). I got my new Ruger SBH (.44 Mag) out. It SHOT MAGNIFICANTLY. Started with some mid range lead handloads and at 15 yds shot they to POA. Switched to 240 gr JHP's in front of 24 grs of 296 and they shot higher at 15 (duh!). Hell of a bang with those. Since I'll be carrying this during the PA deer season, I'm going back out and adjust everything for 50 yds.

The kids came back to me and I let them each shoot (with the requisite picture taking) a cylinderful of the mid range lead handloads. Compared to the .22 this opened their eyes. Then we switched back to a .22 auto, a bit different because it was a Ruger MarkIII with a red dot and a suppressor. They all went gaga over being able to shoot a gun with a "silencer". Jackie, the girl from Malaysia said she was just thrilled to be able to do this (she heads home the middle of July). She'll have some stories to tell (and the pictures to prove it).

We had a real good time, the "newbies" got to shoot a lot of different guns. We had about 10-12 people in the group basically all PAFOAers. The two that will be hanging around (pandamoose and his friend) (they haven't graduated yet) are all excited about participating in any more shoots we have.

Thanks to all that came out and let some new shooters take a turn with their guns.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Blair County)

Default Re: A Great Day Shooting with New Shooters

Glad to hear you guys had a good time. Would of liked to come up to show the new shooters a couple more variations
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Northampton County)

I have a good friend who is not a Permanent Resident of the US and I posted more than one thread here about taking him to shoot. The people I respect most on this forum told me it was not legal and provided citations of statute. I read the citations and I am not certain how they apply to handing someone a firearm in my presence but I decided that discretion is the better part of valor.

Sounds like you had a wonderful shoot.

(Centre County)

Ron, Glad you guys had a good time. It was after 3 before I got off the mtn and must have missed everyone out at scotia.

Ungawa you don't by chance remember the statue? I am curious and would be interested in reading it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Northampton County)

It would take me as long to find it as it would you. It's federal. The forum discussions would be hard to search as well, unless the search function allowed a search for a two-letter word - "No."

(Centre County)

Everything I looked up previously dealt with buying, possessing, renting, etc., etc., but I couldn't find anything about them shooting a gun of mine when I am physically with them. I just don't know. I will do some more investigation to see if I can find out anything else. If I do, I'll note it here on the forum.

(Philadelphia County)

Here is the applicable Federal law

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...Cite:+18USC922

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Centre County)

The federal law states the conditions for sales to the nonimmigrant alien of both firearms and ammunition but it does not make any specific statement about discharge of said items. Additionally there are exceptions provided for firearms owner ship if certain requirements are met (and they appear extremely stringent).

So after reading that, I am still of the understanding that as long as I, a lawful US citizen own the gun and have purchased the ammunition that I can allow a Nonimmigrant alien to shoot my gun.

Does anyone else read it differently?

This subsection provides for purchase and ownership but there are no provisions made for discharge.

Subsections (d)

(5) who, being an alien--
    (B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been
    admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that
    term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and
    Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)));
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

That's the way I've always interpreted it. It was explained to me by a BATFE enforcement agent (some time ago) that in this section the word possession did not mean the simple handling of a gun, but the ownership of a gun. I had asked because many times when the company I work has some of our distributors in for training/sales meetings, they wanted to see if they could shoot a gun because they are illegal (or it's so restricted that it is not worth jumping through the hoops) in their countries. I will try to give the BATFE a call tomorrow to see if that still how to read it.

(Huntingdon County)

Nice work Ron, sounds like it was a great time!

Hope to see some pictures of the shoot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast