Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Reporter Wants Recent 'New' Gun Owners

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=230110

Have you recently purchased a gun for the first time? If so, we'd like to speak with you. Please call reporter Mike Urban at 610-371-5023 or e-mail him at murban@readingeagle.com. Please leave contact information.
    I don't know what this is about, don't know if this reporter is pro or anti.
    In any event if there are any members here who are recent 'new' gun owners it would probably be good if someone who is a familiar with much of the info available on this site got involved instead of him talking to a one ofthe far too many "Guns are only for hunting" people that he might find.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Reporter Wants Recent 'New' Gun Owners

like the adage "Dont talk to cops".... "dont talk to reporters"... they cannot be trusted in any way.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

I admit - I'm curious. I called and left this person a message. I purchased my first weapon this past February and I would like to see what it is that he is up to. I left him a message - we'll see what comes of it, if he wants to talk to me. Stay tuned.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    like the adage "Dont talk to cops".... "dont talk to reporters"... they cannot be trusted in any way.
    I can't think of any examples of where you would be wrong about this. But, it's probably better if they twist good information instead of twist bad information.

"The only thing regarded worse than a Yank around here are coppers and journalists.
    What d'you got against journalists?
    How long have you got? They're lying fucking scum who'll write anything just to fill papers."

Thank you Green Street Hooligans.

I actually probably trust cops more than I trust talking to a journo.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

Probably because he just wrote this -

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=228555

One other thing -

If everyone who is pro-2A shies away from talking to reporters, that by default leaves the battlefield to the Antis.

No fight. You just hand it over to 'them'.

For some folks, not talking to the press is the right answer. For many more, it's not. If you're leery about talking to the press by yourself, go with someone else from the PAFOA who is more experienced.

At the very least, take a voice-activated tape recorder with you and use it - just so that you have an accurate record of what was said.

So maybe what we need are regional classes on "Talking to the press : how to get our message across".

(Schuylkill County)

Any bets on whether Mr Urban is a member here? Lurker perhaps?

"Don't talk to reporters" is an adage that General McChrystal might be wishing he adhered to.

(Delaware County)

Mr. Urban called me back this afternoon.

"Well, perhaps I should have been more clear in the ad I wrote. I'm from the Reading Eagle and I was more looking for people from Berks Country, something more local. However, do you have a few minutes to answer a couple of questions I have?
    What made you decide to buy a gun?"

"Well, I've wanted a gun ever since I was young - but as I grew up and started to understand the real world, and how dangerous it could be, I decided to buy one not because I wanted it, but for protection."
    "So you bought it for self-defense?"
    "Yes I did."
    "What model is it?"
    "Ruger P85."
    "And what kind of gun is that?"
    "Nine millimeter semi-automatic."
    "What made you decide to buy that particular gun?"
    "Price, and the fact that it was ambidextrous - I'm a leftie."
    "How much did it cost?"
    "$300."
    "I see. How long have you had your gun?"
    "Since February."
    "And did you need to get a Concealed Carry Permit for it?"
    "There's no such thing as a CCP in Pennsylvania - it's called a License to Carry Firearms, and yes, I got mine before I purchased the weapon."
    "Oh. Was there anything about that process that surprised you or was particularly difficult?"
    "Well, I got the License in a timely manner, but I was overcharged significantly - I only found this out after I got my LTCF, but there's a big probe starting about how each county in PA is overcharging most license applicants, each of which is a summary offense according to the UFA."
    "Are you happy with the gun?"
    "I'm very unhappy with the fact that I live in a world where I may need it - but considering the circumstance, yes, I am very satisfied with this gun. I've put several hundred rounds through it at the range and I am very comfortable with it.
    If you don't mind my asking, what's your take in this? Do you have any experience with firearms or the related state laws?"
    "Oh, I'm only just starting to get indoctrinated into this whole thing - I'm factfinding."
    "Well, if you have any other questions, feel free to let me know. The worst person to ask would be a police officer because you end up being told their opinion, rather than the actual written laws that matter."
    "I'll keep that in mind! Thanks."

And that was that. Seems pretty innocent to me.
    Junior

(Luzerne County)

"And did you need to get a Concealed Carry Permit for it?"
    "There's no such thing as a CCP in Pennsylvania - it's called a License to Carry Firearms, and yes, I got mine before I purchased the weapon."
    I might add that you did not need the LTCF to get the gun. If the gun was purchased just as a range gun or for home defense the LTCF is not needed.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast