Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default For you military guys out there

Wasn't sure where to put this so training seemed to work. I am currently looking at getting into the military, still undecided on where to go. I was talking to the recruit center and I can pass the small test the military gives, push ups sit ups and 2 mile run, but, im 6'3 and 275lbs and need to be at 220 to be in they said. Im not fat lol but def have a big build and it may be difficult to lose those lbs but least i can do is try.

So, any former or active military members have any recommendations on how to lose it the quickest way? Yes, i know to exercise but what will help me the most? Is there a special workout military does that would help me achieve the 220 goal?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: For you military guys out there

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    Wasn't sure where to put this so training seemed to work. I am currently looking at getting into the military, still undecided on where to go. I was talking to the recruit center and I can pass the small test the military gives, push ups sit ups and 2 mile run, but, im 6'3 and 275lbs and need to be at 220 to be in they said. Im not fat lol but def have a big build and it may be difficult to lose those lbs but least i can do is try.

So, any former or active military members have any recommendations on how to lose it the quickest way? Yes, i know to exercise but what will help me the most? Is there a special workout military does that would help me achieve the 220 goal?
    Sounds like your recruiter is being lazy. Rather than him telling you that you are too big, which means very little if you are not fat, he should have checked your body fat. At MEPS, they used to take height and weight, and then if you exceeded the weight, they would tape you to measure body fat. Plenty of "fatbodies" go into the military, and then by the end of basic, they either make weight or they make tape.

I would ask your recruiter to tape you according to the branch's standard, and see where you fall, rather than being focused on the weight.

By the way, what branch?

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    Sounds like your recruiter is being lazy. Rather than him telling you that you are too big, which means very little if you are not fat, he should have checked your body fat. At MEPS, they used to take height and weight, and then if you exceeded the weight, they would tape you to measure body fat. Plenty of "fatbodies" go into the military, and then by the end of basic, they either make weight or they make tape.

I would ask your recruiter to tape you according to the branch's standard, and see where you fall, rather than being focused on the weight.

By the way, what branch?
    if i had to absoltuly choose a branch right now it would be marines, my grandpa would turn in the grave if i went navy haha but also looking at army and maybe coast guard ... the one i went to was for national guard but they said all branches require the same height/weight stats.

are you looking at making the military a career or just a few years?

if you're looking at just a few years, pick a job in the service that will get you a sweet job on the outside.

(Lackawanna County)

Is there a special workout military does that would help me achieve the 220 goal?

Yes, there is; it's called AFBMT in the Air Force; if they determine that you BMI is too high, they put you into a 'fit flight' (a basic training group is called a flight), where you will pretty much do PT until you puke six days a week before you are rotated back into a regular flight. In an FF, you'll eat about 5000-6000 calories a day, and burn off close to 10K. Weight loss is not the goal; tightening up the body is.

The standard Basic is 8½ weeks now, plus the time in the fit flight.

If you decide to go Air Force, take one of the winter entry dates, because all of their training is done at Lackland AFB outside of San Antonio...the weather is much more suited to heavy PT then than in the summer.

A warning: AFBMT isn't like it was in the 'old' days; you'll get more weapons training than some of the other branches, and a hellish exercise called 'The BEAST' that will get you thinking combat roles...especially recognizing and neutralizing IEDs and fending off unexpected 'terrorist' attacks.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

I'm not a Dr or fitness nut but eating a well balanced diet will help. EAT five or six small meals, cut out alot of the starch and up the protien and RUN!!!
    I don't mean run like a mile or two, I mean run like 4-6 miles three days a week. Also, short sprints. Short meaning up to an 1/8 mile. Give it all you got for that 1/8, muliple times of ten or so sprints on short run days.

What do you want to get out of the Service? Cause the SERVICE will get everything out of you and then some!!!!

Post military time? Educational opportunities during service and after? Married? Kids? other dependants? Ill sick sibling or parent?

I don't push one service over the other but I like to know what you want to get out of serving, you're goals, plans, ideas and from that point, I willl guide you as best I can.

CL

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    What do you want to get out of the Service? Cause the SERVICE will get everything out of you and then some!!!!

Post military time? Educational opportunities during service and after? Married? Kids? other dependants? Ill sick sibling or parent?

I don't push one service over the other but I like to know what you want to get out of serving, you're goals, plans, ideas and from that point, I willl guide you as best I can.

CL
    well some of the big things i want to accomplish is school, debating on full time service of school during service and job training. Umm other things, ive been to a couple of military camps from age 13-20 and loved every minute of the way the military works and id like to be part of something bigger than myself and work as a team (i know sounds like i stole it from the tv commercial lol) and i guess the last thing is ive screwed up a lot in the past and lost respect from some of my family members and want to show them i know i screwed up and im growing up and changing from how i used to live my life for better

well some of the big things i want to accomplish is school, debating on full time service of school during service and job training. Umm other things, ive been to a couple of military camps from age 13-20 and loved every minute of the way the military works and id like to be part of something bigger than myself and work as a team (i know sounds like i stole it from the tv commercial lol) and i guess the last thing is ive screwed up a lot in the past and lost respect from some of my family members and want to show them i know i screwed up and im growing up and changing from how i used to live my life for better
    Fair enough, too easy. Would you please PM me and we'll go from there.

CL

(Philadelphia County)

Military camp is nothing like the military, but the formality is a great start.

I am glad to hear that you have fixed the issues from your past, and are maturing, very glad. However, you cannot go into the military for anyone else, or to prove anything to anyone else, it has to be a decision that you make for you, no compromise on that one.

If you want a place that will provide you with maturity, discipline, a sense of pride, and a feeling of being part of the "more", there are very few places that will beat the military, but you get out what you put in. If you go in with the idea that you are there to prove something to someone else, then the first time things go "bad", then you will question your decision, and even if the people you are trying to prove things to are worth the effort. Search your heart, and make sure you are doing this for the right reasons, because the military can be great or feel like jail.

I applaud you for working to find your way, many wait until it is too late to even start looking for themselves, let alone to find themselves.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    Military camp is nothing like the military, but the formality is a great start.

I am glad to hear that you have fixed the issues from your past, and are maturing, very glad. However, you cannot go into the military for anyone else, or to prove anything to anyone else, it has to be a decision that you make for you, no compromise on that one.

If you want a place that will provide you with maturity, discipline, a sense of pride, and a feeling of being part of the "more", there are very few places that will beat the military, but you get out what you put in. If you go in with the idea that you are there to prove something to someone else, then the first time things go "bad", then you will question your decision, and even if the people you are trying to prove things to are worth the effort. Search your heart, and make sure you are doing this for the right reasons, because the military can be great or feel like jail.

I applaud you for working to find your way, many wait until it is too late to even start looking for themselves, let alone to find themselves.
    well another reason i was thinking of joining was because of the job ive wanted to do since grade school and im sure you'll have input on this one, always wanted to join the police. Always wanted to join until the 1-2 years i went from good guy to the crazy party teen and ive been wanting to get back to focusing on my future. I have many PA state trooper friends and a few local PD friends that also agree the military would help me the the PD career .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast