Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default For you military guys out there

Wasn't sure where to put this so training seemed to work. I am currently looking at getting into the military, still undecided on where to go. I was talking to the recruit center and I can pass the small test the military gives, push ups sit ups and 2 mile run, but, im 6'3 and 275lbs and need to be at 220 to be in they said. Im not fat lol but def have a big build and it may be difficult to lose those lbs but least i can do is try.

So, any former or active military members have any recommendations on how to lose it the quickest way? Yes, i know to exercise but what will help me the most? Is there a special workout military does that would help me achieve the 220 goal?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: For you military guys out there

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    Wasn't sure where to put this so training seemed to work. I am currently looking at getting into the military, still undecided on where to go. I was talking to the recruit center and I can pass the small test the military gives, push ups sit ups and 2 mile run, but, im 6'3 and 275lbs and need to be at 220 to be in they said. Im not fat lol but def have a big build and it may be difficult to lose those lbs but least i can do is try.

So, any former or active military members have any recommendations on how to lose it the quickest way? Yes, i know to exercise but what will help me the most? Is there a special workout military does that would help me achieve the 220 goal?
    Sounds like your recruiter is being lazy. Rather than him telling you that you are too big, which means very little if you are not fat, he should have checked your body fat. At MEPS, they used to take height and weight, and then if you exceeded the weight, they would tape you to measure body fat. Plenty of "fatbodies" go into the military, and then by the end of basic, they either make weight or they make tape.

I would ask your recruiter to tape you according to the branch's standard, and see where you fall, rather than being focused on the weight.

By the way, what branch?

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    Sounds like your recruiter is being lazy. Rather than him telling you that you are too big, which means very little if you are not fat, he should have checked your body fat. At MEPS, they used to take height and weight, and then if you exceeded the weight, they would tape you to measure body fat. Plenty of "fatbodies" go into the military, and then by the end of basic, they either make weight or they make tape.

I would ask your recruiter to tape you according to the branch's standard, and see where you fall, rather than being focused on the weight.

By the way, what branch?
    if i had to absoltuly choose a branch right now it would be marines, my grandpa would turn in the grave if i went navy haha but also looking at army and maybe coast guard ... the one i went to was for national guard but they said all branches require the same height/weight stats.

are you looking at making the military a career or just a few years?

if you're looking at just a few years, pick a job in the service that will get you a sweet job on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by higher4hockey View Post
    are you looking at making the military a career or just a few years?

if you're looking at just a few years, pick a job in the service that will get you a sweet job on the outside.
    i disagree.

do what you think will be what you want to do. military life can adequately suck at times, you might as well be doing what made you want to join, in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    i disagree.

do what you think will be what you want to do. military life can adequately suck at times, you might as well be doing what made you want to join, in the first place
    Listen to this advice. Use your GI Bill to pay for education when you are done...

And here are some words of advice for you, My worst days in SOF are 10 times better then my best days were in a conventional army unit. Don't "settle" for some crappy mos the recruiter sold you on.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lackawanna County)

if i had to absoltuly choose a branch right now it would be marines, my grandpa would turn in the grave if i went navy haha but also looking at army and maybe coast guard ... the one i went to was for national guard but they said all branches require the same height/weight stats.
    You do realize that the Marines is "owned" by the Navy, the marines are like the sister group

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    You do realize that the Marines is "owned" by the Navy, the marines are like the sister group
    them's fightin' words

the Navy is a support organization for giving the Marines a ride

(Philadelphia County)

well another reason i was thinking of joining was because of the job ive wanted to do since grade school and im sure you'll have input on this one, always wanted to join the police. Always wanted to join until the 1-2 years i went from good guy to the crazy party teen and ive been wanting to get back to focusing on my future. I have many PA state trooper friends and a few local PD friends that also agree the military would help me the the PD career .
    I have never done the Municipal LEO job, but many of the guys that I went into the Army with have. To open the most doors for yourself, whether you are in the military or not, education is still the key. In the Army, civilian education is paramount to your progression up the ranks anyway. For some Federal LE jobs, 2 years of college plus military experience, will be treated like a 4 year degree.

I am sure this is going to cause some arguments, but I am going to say it anyway. If you are interested in doing police work while in the military, go into the Army.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    them's fightin' words

the Navy is a support organization for giving the Marines a ride
    Yeah i know but the guy is about to make a dumb decision for not knowing the marines are part of the navy, its like saying i'd never be a cop but sheriff is ok?

Oh yeah and if your thinking about getting in the state police after you get done with military and you were a party animal and did questionable things. You won't get in because you won't be able to pass the polygraph. Unless your family has 50 million that you might miss out on tell them fuck off. You want them to like you again, move out of your parents house, get a job, apartment or house. I got buddies who tell me all the time the worst thing i ever did was sign that fucking papers.

*The military has never wronged me directly i have no gripe with the service and i think serving your country is good thing*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast