Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Re: For you military guys out there

Don't really have a weight loss suggestion other than high fat, low carb living....worked awesome for me....

biggest recommendation, or maybe warning, is take care of YOURSELF..if the recruiter does not put it in writing on an official form.....IT AIN"T

they are there to get you into the military with as little strings attached as possible.....

If he tells you just pick 10 jobs, your scores are high enough you will get your first one anyway..............He's Lying.......(f-16 Crew Chief....F-15 Crew Chief, C-130 Loadmaster, C-141 Loadmaster, C-5 Loadmaster, F-111 Crew Chief, A-10 Crew Chief, etc.......BING Construction Equipment Operator....WTF??????)

If he tells you you'll get to pic your duty station, errmmm....Nope again, LOL

If you can score well enough on the ASVABS...they can get you in guaranteed job...other wise they will put you where they think you will be best for them, depending on slots available, and what your ASVABS tell them you would be best at.

I really enjoyed my time in, but I wish I had found the low carb thing when I was in, I'd probably still be in.....

Good Luck!

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    i disagree.

do what you think will be what you want to do. military life can adequately suck at times, you might as well be doing what made you want to join, in the first place
    Listen to this advice. Use your GI Bill to pay for education when you are done...

And here are some words of advice for you, My worst days in SOF are 10 times better then my best days were in a conventional army unit. Don't "settle" for some crappy mos the recruiter sold you on.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Listen to this advice. Use your GI Bill to pay for education when you are done...

And here are some words of advice for you, My worst days in SOF are 10 times better then my best days were in a conventional army unit. Don't "settle" for some crappy mos the recruiter sold you on.
    this concurs with everything i have heard and know. the more "elite" you get the less you get "messed" with. also, Army soldiers always seemed a lot more happy while they were in the Army, Marines a lot happier when they get out!

this concurs with everything i have heard and know. the more "elite" you get the less you get "messed" with. also, Army soldiers always seemed a lot more happy while they were in the Army, Marines a lot happier when they get out!

I'm plenty happy where I'm at (relatively speaking), in 7 days I start growing my beard...

I'm plenty happy where I'm at (relatively speaking), in 7 days I start growing my beard...
    if you are SF, that doesn't identify which way you are going!

happy hunting, or, happy drinking!

(Montgomery County)

Mike from York

If you are young and haven't done college yet, you might want to look at ECP (Early Commissioning Program). It would be a free education and you actually get your LT rank within two years (vs four). Something to think about, not everyone knows about ECP and the recruiter sure as hell wouldn't tell you.

And during the process you'd trim down that 275 lb frame.

PM me for more details.

if you are SF, that doesn't identify which way you are going!

happy hunting, or, happy drinking!
    I could be one of these contractor poser wanna-be types that wears merrill shoes, 5.11 pants, polo t shirts and grows out a crazy goat-t...

there is someone on this forum that knows me and can vouch for what I do. His user name is ReconLdr.

(York County)

I could be one of these contractor poser wanna-be types that wears merrill shoes, 5.11 pants, polo t shirts and grows out a crazy goat-t...

there is someone on this forum that knows me and can vouch for what I do. His user name is ReconLdr.
    Woah, woah, I wear merrill shoes, 5.11 pants....come on now, don't be bashing a wanna-be.

To the OP...cut down on your calories and get used to eating less, consume more non-alcoholic liquids and run regularly during the week. Cut down/out the beer and pizza and you'll slim down. If it's what you really want to do you'll have to work harder for it. One of the first thing that your unit will look at when you arrive is your PT score, keep that high and you have a short boost from the start.

I'm an ex Marine. My advice is, if you want to join the Marines....start running. Run everywhere you go for 3 months, because that's what you're going to be doing at Paris Island. You'll lose weight in the process.

Plus, it's a good self defense tool. I won my last fight by two miles.
    Last edited by IronButt; July 9th, 2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: addition
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I would recommend joining the Army. But like everyone has said, you have to have your mind clear about why you are joining and you should be making this type of commitment because it's right for you. The military, regardless of what branch, can be a hard life and it will take a lot out of you if you aren't straight about why you joined up.

NEVER trust the Recruiter! He is not your friend and he will do or say anything to get you in with the least amount of benefit to you. There's been some great advice here, but, hopefully, you have some family members that can help you review what the recruiter is saying to ensure that you get everything IN WRITING that is promised. Don't go to only one recruiter go to several different ones and go back to them as many times as you want with as many questions as you can possibly come up with..... that's their job, but you have to make them do it to your benefit. Take the ASVAB before you sign anything. Here is a site where you can take a practice exam: http://www.military.com/ASVAB Try to get the very highest score so that you have the most options in choosing your Military Occupational Skill (MOS).

You need to start working out. Yes, weight may be an issue, but your physical fitness needs to be up there so that you are ready for the rigors of PT. You need to be running 2-3 miles regularly and at good pace before you join up.... otherwise, you will have a much harder time in basic training.

The military, without a doubt, is a life changing experience and I am proud to have served my country. I wish you well in making this decision. Keep asking questions. Also don't be afraid to contact the VFW and talk with some vets in your local area about their experiences. I know that would they would definitely help you and would also be able to give you a lot of insight.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast