Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default talk to me about good ol' Mosin Nagant

I'm thinking about getting one - cheap gun, cheap ammo, and belches fireball halfway down on the range is hard to beat.

I'm thinking about Russian M44 with permanant bayanet. Possibly add scope to it.

what you guys think?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Default Re: talk to me about good ol' Mosin Nagant

Do yourself a gigantic favor and take the time to apply for and get the 03 Federal Firearms License. It will cost you thirty dollars for three years. Your thirty will be absorbed when you buy your Mosin online and have it shipped to your front door in plain brown packaging. Your license will get you dealer pricing at MidwayUSA and Brownells just to name the big two. Mosins in common variations are really cheap. Check out the link below. No store or gun show can touch these prices.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_M44.html

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/R...54R_Rifle.html

I hope this helps, and by the way, the guns are cool to shoot and collect.
    Jules

This question pops up frequently. Do a PAFOA search for term "Mosin". (results)

The receiver design limits telescopic sights to two basic choices: a "scout" style the replaces the rear sight leaf, or an original sniper. Click here to ID fake snipers.

They're habit forming, a *lot* of people collect them. M38s balance a little better that M44s since they don't have the bayonet mechanism hanging off the side.

Yes, they make fireballs. And they're both cheap and fun.

Be sure to check headspace (details). It's very rarely a problem, but still should be checked.

Other posts (linked) of relevance:
    W.W.II Guns
    Mosin Nagant Russian M44 question
    How important is it to check the headspace in a Milsurplus rifle?

funny you made this.. i just got one today... 85 bucks for what i feel is a little piece of workng history cant be beat. has the folding bayo, and from what i can tell so far all matching numbers i'm happy with it i mean any gun is woth 85smackers..

+1 on the c&r

(Centre County)

Well, one i'm thinking about pickin up is $90 - So called "Excellent grade A". So i'm not too concerned about price. Ammo is $2.99 for 20...

But this headspace thing is new. I didn't realise there are some guns outthere that still needed to check headspace in this modern day, but then Mosin Nagant is... well you know.

I have to look in to this. Can gunsmith be able to check Headspace?

(Philadelphia County)

You should also try out www.classicarms.us

They also have good prices and is a outstanding place to do business with. Their items are described very well. The guy's name is Ben, and you can tell he's a standup guy when visiting his site. Should you decide to call them, don't be discouraged if you get a woman on the phone, that is crabby and less helpful, but you still get the goods the same. I've ordered three rifles from them so far, all just as described on their site.

On Mosins, I have a 91/30, M38, M44, and T53 (though I'm thinking about getting rid of this one).

Here are some very good links to Mosin dedicated sites

http://www.7.62x54r.net/

http://mosinnagant.net/default.asp

and www.surplusrifle.com forums

Most people would just fire it to check it but I think it is better to err on the side of caution regarding headspace checking on milsurps. PA Rifleman provided a link. Gun shops can do it, if they have the right gauges. Nowhere near me had any so I bought some myself.
    Last edited by Garpman; October 12th, 2007 at 01:23 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Most people would just fire it to check it but I think it is better to err on the side of caution regarding head space
    I never did have the head space checked on my 91/30 or M44.
    I guess I just took a chance? Most likely not the smartest thing to do but Gander Mt. Greensburg wanted to charge me $20 bucks each rifle to check???? Didn't purchase them there?

I think I read somewhere you look at the spent brass and see if there are any cracks or mis- shapen ones? If you see this your head space may be off? Anyone agree?

Eric

NRA

American Infidel

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig... You dig.
    Clint Eastwood - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

(Philadelphia County)

That is a way to check for headspace issues, but you already took the chance and fired it. What if it was real bad and the bolt flew back in your face? Fortunately, I have never had a KB! or headspace malfunction, so I don't really know what happens and I'm taking the most dramatic event from what I've read about it.

Maybe the worst that will happen is a burn. Either way, firearm physics deal with tremendous pressures, so if something goes wrong, I'm thinking it will be bad, I'd rather not take the chance. Some bolts like in the Mauser K98k are designed with vent holes to help alleviate this problem if it happens.

I think the importers test fire them prior to selling them off. If they have been rearsenaled, I'm guessing that is even more likely.

Some people say checking the headspace isn't even necessary for regular functioning and it's really only for rechambering.

Then there's the whole SAAMI versus military specs thing. Your milsurp may not pass SAAMI specs but may pass mil specs and will be fine to fire. Military rifles were specifically designed this way to be more tolerant of ammunition.

$20 is way too much, most gauges just drop in and you check it by closing the bolt. Some require the removal of the extractor, either way it's not a lot of work.

GO and NO GO gauges are expensive at about $25-$30 but you have it forever. Some people just buy a field gauge and ignore the GO and NO GO. If it fails the field gauge, I would recommend to NOT fire it.

went and shot mine for the first time after work today didn't blow up, but they said they check them at the store when they get them in.. kicks like a mule thanks to the metal recoil pad, but grouped at about 3in at 50yards..

can't beat it for the price, any working gun is worth those prices.

(Centre County)

Everyone tells me that M44 is gonna kick like muel. Because your shooting basicaly 30-06 (30-06: 2910 ft/s, 2820 ft·lbf Vs. 7.62 Russian: 2953 ft/s, 2905 ft·lbf Both 150gr spitzer) out of gun that weigh 9.62lbs(where as M1903: just shy of 9lb).

But i'm used to shooting my Type 99 Arisaka which shoots 7.7x58mm (which is slightly less on power, falls somewhere between 30-06 and 303british), but Type 99 weigh 8lb. So after shooting 5 rds, i get slight what appears to be a bruise on my sholder.
    So i would assume kick can't be that much more due to M44's heavier weight.

Either way, i can't weight to pick it up!(I order one. Should be in sometime this week)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast