Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Talking Benchrest at 100, 200, and 300 yard

I would like to find someone that would be willing to give me a few beginner lessons in short range benchrest. I have most of the equipment, including a rifle that will shoot sub .5 moa. I guess what I'm looking for is a range lesson in setting up the rest and rear bag, aligning the rifle with the target, and follow up shots. I live in Williamsport, and as you know most of the benchrest guys here shoot 1000 yard. On the weekend I don't often have time to drive to the 1000 yard range and would like to meet someone that shoots at the Muncy, or at the Consolidated Sportsmans range.

David

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Benchrest at 100, 200, and 300 yard

If you can already shoot .5 MOA, why do you need lessons? How much better do you think you will get?
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    If you can already shoot .5 MOA, why do you need lessons? How much better do you think you will get?
    +1 And make sure your comfortable & your bag's & rifle is in the exact same place for every shot. What's the rifle your using now for sub .5 & scope? This & your trigger pull is basicly it unless you want to do your own reloading for a custom load? But like recon said, sound's like you got it allready. Those who shoot smaller group's would only measure in the thousand's less.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 22nd, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Lycoming County)

Well, I guess you guys are right about already shooting 0.5. The best I have been able to do is 0.48 at 100 yards. As for the equipment, here comes the comments..... Believe it or not, out of the box Remington XCR tactical Long Range 26" heavy barrel, full bedding all from the factory. The scope is a Barris 8x32x50 Black diamond, and I'm using 168 gr Federal Match ammo.

I broken the barrel in as per Larry Potterfields advise, and then bought a Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest. You could have knocked me over with a feather. The rifle will shoot 0.7, 0.6, 0.5 all five shot groups. Well, I guess the rest is just up to practice, practice.

Thanks for your comments guys