Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun in car

(Bucks County)

Default Gun in car

Before I get ripped to shreds for leaving a gun in my car i do have a gun vault lock box in my truck.

Can your employer tell you that you can not have a firearm on there property even if its in your car which is your personal property?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Gun in car

Technically yep. Could even fire you if he found out.

(Chester County)

Yep. Some states have laws that allow you to carry to/from work if you leave it in your vehicle at work. However, PA doesn't have that law. If your employer does not want you to have a weapon on their property (parking lot included), they can do that. As has been said, you can be fired for that and possibly even have charges brought against you by your employer...

(Montgomery County)

Private property rights will apply. The employer can set any policies he chooses with regard to firearms and other weapons. For that matter, since PA is an at will employment state, they can fire you for almost any reason at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bigworm40 View Post
    Before I get ripped to shreds for leaving a gun in my car i do have a gun vault lock box in my truck.

Can your employer tell you that you can not have a firearm on there property even if its in your car which is your personal property?
    Your employer can tell you that you must wear pink underwear on Tuesdays if he or she chooses to. Whether or not you comply is up to you. As PA Traveler mentioned above, Pennsylvania is an "at-will employment" state, and your employer can legally fire you if he or she doesn't like your eye color.

In all seriousness, your "personal property", the truck, is parked on your employer's "personal property". They can set the conditions for entry onto that property - such as the prohibition of firearms. There are no protections or exemptions in Pennsylvania for owners of firearms who choose to leave said firearms locked in vehicles on employers' property. Other states have recently passed such protections, but alas, not in the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (yet).

Basically, feel free to leave your firearm locked in your vehicle, as there are no laws prohibiting it, but be fully aware of the fact that it may cost you your job.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
    Yep. Some states have laws that allow you to carry to/from work if you leave it in your vehicle at work. However, PA doesn't have that law. If your employer does not want you to have a weapon on their property (parking lot included), they can do that. As has been said, you can be fired for that and possibly even have charges brought against you by your employer...
    Unless you work at a prohibited place to carry firearms like an airport, federal building, school, etc. The worst any private property owner could possibly do to you is call the police and have you charged with a summary offense of trespassing if they had signs posted and could prove you had a firearm. This is assuming that you left the property when asked to.

Obviously they could fire you.

They do not have the right to search you or your car, but they can still fire you for refusing.

Rule #1 about carrying and work, DON'T TALK ABOUT IT.
    Rule #2 about carrying and work, DON'T TALK ABOUT IT.

One of the reasons I never got a permit in Ohio (aside from some of there early and still current restrictions) was I worked at a military base.
    Last edited by QuackXP; June 22nd, 2010 at 08:56 PM.

(Delaware County)

What if you park on the street, and not in a parking lot, and therefore your car is on public property? Can your employer still tell you that you can't have it in the car, even when it's never on his property?

I know your employer can fire you for any reason at any time, with a few exceptions...

If your car is on public property, you can do as you wish (legally, mind you). Employer can't/shouldn't be able to punish your for your ongoingings outside of work (even though it does happen). I'd assume you could sue for some reason or another if something came of you doing so.

(Don't look tooo far into this. I'm just saying that an employer shouldn't be able to fire you because you like pizza on Tuesday nights. Obviously if you bad-mouth your company/boss and such publicly, and it gets publicity, that changes things).

Edit: Btw, IANAL, plumber, wholesale marketer, etc....

(Chester County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Removed ~Staff
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; June 22nd, 2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Dumb & illegal. Keep that childish garbage on ZRT, not here

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    Your employer can tell you that you must wear pink underwear on Tuesdays if he or she chooses to. Whether or not you comply is up to you.

Basically, feel free to leave your firearm locked in your vehicle, as there are no laws prohibiting it, but be fully aware of the fact that it may cost you your job.
    Just be sure no one spots your camo undies when you're supposed to be wearing pink. I also have to assume underwear checks are rare...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast