Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 22 auto

(Elk County)

Question 22 auto

I'm considering a walther P22. Apparently they used to jam allot. Several reviews said they recently fixed that. Any info?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 22 auto

What do you want to use the 22 for?
    If you want a "good, reliable, accurate" target/plinker I would consider a Ruger or a Buckmark. If you want a great inexpensive 22 you couldn't go wrong with the Beretta U22 NEOS. JM2C!

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Westmoreland County)

I have a P22 and it is a nice little gun! Shoots good, never jams and is fairly accurate. I think most of the problems have been corrected. Rimfirecentral.com has a P22 'Bible' that you can refer to for more info on that. If you want a highly accurate model...Ruger or Buckmark would be better...but for an inexpensive plinker, you can't go wrong with the P22.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Adams County)

If I were to get a 22 pistol, I would want something that could be easily suppressed. The Walther fits that bill, do the rest?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Centre County)

my P22 never jammed. its not picky about ammo. its been 100% reliable fun plinker.

AFTER you perform few simple fix on several short comming, that is....

http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

Otherwise sitck with Ruger
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I have a P22, Ruger MKIII Hunter, Ruger MKIII 22/45, Buck Mark Standard and S&W22A. The P22 is a notch or two below the others in quality, workmanship and accuracy.

My P22 went back to S&W at less than 1k rounds because the trigger bar ears were eating the cheap zinc slide. S&W said the wear was normal, but did replace the barrel (?????). They also replaced the slide with a used slide from another pistol. I did the polishing routine in the P22 Bible, which seems to have fixed the wear. Now all I have to fix is the extractor problem. I'm waiting for another extractor (screw up insurance) so I can peen one to see if that fixes the fact that the extractor on the returned slide will stop ejecting brass into my face and down my shirt. After a lot of practice, I may have wrung out shooter problems to the point that I'm now happy with groups that would send me to despair with my other pistols, but "we" are getting better.

The P22 has the small and cool all wrapped up. It is too bad that Walther didn't put some of the esteemed German engineering and manufacturing expertise into making this pistol. Shooting the P22 is fun. Walther really missed implementing a great idea. I like the size. I've been determined to not let this pistol beat me.

I paid $60 more for the P22 than I did for my MKIII 22/45, $90 more than the 22A and about the same as my BM Standard. All these are superior in accuracy and quality to the P22. They have better sights, grips and are superior in overall quality.

I can see why two-thirds of the folks who have P22's like them. If it were me, I'd buy the P22 only if I had a couple of good .22lr's in the stable already.

I have shot a few and they seemed to be OK. I don't know about reliablity because I don't own one. I do enjoy my MKIII and MKII.
    Jules

(York County)

The only time I ever had a failure with my P22 is when I loaded a mag full of ammo that wasn't jacketed.

Using JHP ammo (Federal Premium which comes in a box of 550 rounds) it has never failed me and I lost count of the # of rounds through it long ago, but it's probably near 2000 rounds. Great little pistol. I have read comments about it not being made to last and the slide being cheap... I have kept mine clean and lubricated and it does not show any signs of wearing prematurely.

This is what my slide looked like at less than 1k rounds. I called S&W to verify the note in the return that this was "normal" wear. When I said I don't see anything like that on my 22A at 15k rounds the response was something like "Whaddya expect, its a P22, the 22A is a much better pistol."

Stopped with wear with some polishing. Fun to shoot, but not in the same league as my other .22 pistols.