Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default We need to pick up the pace...

Gun sales are falling, according to USAToday.

Saw this on the front cover this morning.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: We need to pick up the pace...

and more ammo too.

(Monroe County)

If I was working I would definitely be doing my part.

Just ask any gun or ammo dealer how bad it has become. Shows are turning into losing propositions over the last month or so, with some dealers not covering their expenses. Shops are slower than death too, heard it from no less than 10 different dealers I know.

Why? Well I think it's simple economics.

a. People rushed out and bought everything they could before and right after the election. Many of them buying on credit or with money they really shouldn't have spent. Now many of them are trying to dump the guns and ammo they bought to pay the bills and many of them are losing money when they sell.

b. People are freaking broke now, and those that aren't broke realize they could be in a heartbeat in this economy so they aren't spending money they don't have to.

Lastly, comparing gun sales on a 'normal' year to the 'panic year' the numbers will always be down so it's not a fair comparison.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Just ask any gun or ammo dealer how bad it has become. Shows are turning into losing propositions over the last month or so, with some dealers not covering their expenses. Shops are slower than death too, heard it from no less than 10 different dealers I know.

Why? Well I think it's simple economics.

a. People rushed out and bought everything they could before and right after the election. Many of them buying on credit or with money they really shouldn't have spent. Now many of them are trying to dump the guns and ammo they bought to pay the bills and many of them are losing money when they sell.

b. People are freaking broke now, and those that aren't broke realize they could be in a heartbeat in this economy so they aren't spending money they don't have to.

Lastly, comparing gun sales on a 'normal' year to the 'panic year' the numbers will always be down so it's not a fair comparison.
    I would have to agree with that. There was no article to go with the "snapshot" so I just posted that. I'm sure that if I went to their source IBISWorld, I could find out more.

(Schuylkill County)

It doesn't help most(not all) of the tables at a gunshow want 1.5-2 times what the item is worth either. A gunshow is a place to get your name out there, move some inventory, etc. Instead, many dealers have destroyed the venue with their overpriced items. Why should I pay $1100 for that AR at the gunshow when I can get the same exact thing any other day for $900 at my dealer? I have literally seen dealers who had item A in their shop for X amount of money. At the gun show, that exact same dealer with that exact same item has it tagged at $100+ over the X price.

Possible. It wouldn't surprise me, people spending beyond their means.

Also possible, which is why moderation is important, as well as regulation. If you can't afford it, you probably don't need it. But if someone spends in smaller increments, instead of large sums, it's a good practice.

Yup.
    III%

(Allegheny County)

if you ask me, this is great news.

the demand last year was entirely artificial...and caused artificially high prices and artificially low availability--meaning i could not frickin' find any 9mm practice ammo or, when i did find a box here or there, it was absurdly expensive.

with the chicken little bubble being over, demand is coming back down to natural levels. and, thus, prices are coming back down to something more like reasonable and availability is much better. personally, i am quite happy about that and do not want to see artificially high demand come back again.
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    It doesn't help most(not all) of the tables at a gunshow want 1.5-2 times what the item is worth either. A gunshow is a place to get your name out there, move some inventory, etc. Instead, many dealers have destroyed the venue with their overpriced items. Why should I pay $1100 for that AR at the gunshow when I can get the same exact thing any other day for $900 at my dealer? I have literally seen dealers who had item A in their shop for X amount of money. At the gun show, that exact same dealer with that exact same item has it tagged at $100+ over the X price.
    Well a few stories that got back to me from the Lebanon show this past weekend. Warner was trying to blow out the rest of his gun stock (if you remember he is going ammo only) ... soooo, How about an Egyptian Maadi for $250 and no one cared (and I'm pissed he didn't tell me because I would have bought it), or a perfect Yugo SKS for $150 and no one cared. The list went on and on but plain and simple people just didn't have the money.

He ended up selling the above to another dealer but he also talked to a bunch of dealers about buying them and they all said the same thing "We didn't sell shit this weekend and have no money to buy them"

Going to be an ugly summer for gun shows and dealers, UGLY

(Mercer County)

As an "old fart" I've seen the panic buying happen a time or two; the panic buying of Y-2K & Brady (people who claimed they would never buy firearms went out, bought, and stock piled ammo. The primer crisis when it ended I bought so many primers at bargain basement prices I'll probably never have to buy another primer.

It all Economics 101 Supply & Demand. When people panic buy prices sky rocket and that's when I sell guns, firearms, primers, etc. at a huge profit.
    When the balloon brusts and prices come down to the point the panic buyers are selling their nearly new items for 50 cents or less on the $1.00 I will buy.

oracle
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; June 22nd, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Schuylkill County)

Well a few stories that got back to me from the Lebanon show this past weekend. Warner was trying to blow out the rest of his gun stock (if you remember he is going ammo only) ... soooo, How about an Egyptian Maadi for $250 and no one cared (and I'm pissed he didn't tell me because I would have bought it), or a perfect Yugo SKS for $150 and no one cared. The list went on and on but plain and simple people just didn't have the money.

He ended up selling the above to another dealer but he also talked to a bunch of dealers about buying them and they all said the same thing "We didn't sell shit this weekend and have no money to buy them"

Going to be an ugly summer for gun shows and dealers, UGLY
    I probably would have given them a second glance if I was there. But I've pretty much given up on gunshows any more. It's more a waste of time than it's worth. But occasionally, you find that dealer who is straight up...
    III%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast