Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default AK POSP 4x scope 400m reticle

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-s...k-version.html

So. This is the AK specific POSP scope for the AK. Anyone have it? This reticle is the 7.62x39 specific range finding reticle. I'm thinking about picking it up to toss on my fixed stock AK. I'd do the ultimak/RDS on it but it has a scope rail, and that is probably what is going on the AMD. Since it does not.

Something to play around with.

However... I have a PSL too. So I could also snag the 54r POSP from it, buy the bottom AK mount from kalinka and pop that on the AK just as easy. But then I'm down an optic for the PSL. Now that rifle probably deserves better glass anyway. Maybe something 8x or better. But I'd hate to mess around with ballistic cams not dialed for x39 and fight with it if the other would be easier/better.

I'd also hate to waste money on the AK specific scope if it's all pretty much the same anyway?

Thoughts?

(Berks County)

Default Re: AK POSP 4x scope 400m reticle

Well, I can't answer your specific question, however I came across what just may be a VERY good deal on a Romanian AK 4x26 scope....check out "davids collectibles" or "tickbite supply (same place). He has these scopes for $59.99 & $69.99 for the lighted version! I just ordered one yesterday morning. They are listed under the "scratch & dent" menu.

I ordered an AMD muzzle brake from the same guy earlier this year. A little slow on the shipping, but it was the best deal I could find.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-s...k-version.html

So. This is the AK specific POSP scope for the AK. Anyone have it? This reticle is the 7.62x39 specific range finding reticle. I'm thinking about picking it up to toss on my fixed stock AK. I'd do the ultimak/RDS on it but it has a scope rail, and that is probably what is going on the AMD. Since it does not.

Something to play around with.

However... I have a PSL too. So I could also snag the 54r POSP from it, buy the bottom AK mount from kalinka and pop that on the AK just as easy. But then I'm down an optic for the PSL. Now that rifle probably deserves better glass anyway. Maybe something 8x or better. But I'd hate to mess around with ballistic cams not dialed for x39 and fight with it if the other would be easier/better.

I'd also hate to waste money on the AK specific scope if it's all pretty much the same anyway?

Thoughts?

JG Sales has Romy PSOP 4x PSL scopes for $99. I just got two.

Also, may be old news to long time AK hands...but they're adjustable. What I mean is that if it doesn't fit your rail, you can depress the lever for the attaching portion of the rail, push down on the spring and adjust the retaining nut.

I have a Vepr in 5.45 and did this, because it wouldn't fit at first. Now it's on rock solid. No problem with eye relief at all.

Anyway, $99 for the romy version of the POSP that'll cost you $169 on Kalinka.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    Well, I can't answer your specific question, however I came across what just may be a VERY good deal on a Romanian AK 4x26 scope....check out "davids collectibles" or "tickbite supply (same place). He has these scopes for $59.99 & $69.99 for the lighted version! I just ordered one yesterday morning. They are listed under the "scratch & dent" menu.

I ordered an AMD muzzle brake from the same guy earlier this year. A little slow on the shipping, but it was the best deal I could find.
    Assuming these are functional, that is a really good deal. I've ordered from there a couple of time and have no complaints.

These are the same ones I just got from JG for $99. Damn.

Doesn't say why they're scratch and dent though.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ToeCutter View Post
    JG Sales has Romy PSOP 4x PSL scopes for $99. I just got two.

Also, may be old news to long time AK hands...but they're adjustable. What I mean is that if it doesn't fit your rail, you can depress the lever for the attaching portion of the rail, push down on the spring and adjust the retaining nut.

I have a Vepr in 5.45 and did this, because it wouldn't fit at first. Now it's on rock solid. No problem with eye relief at all.

Anyway, $99 for the romy version of the POSP that'll cost you $169 on Kalinka.
    The LPS TIP2 on my PSL will not, repeat NOT, go on my AK. There is a physical situation that makes that impossible. The side rail does not fit in the scope groove period. So as far as them being adjustable, negative. There is no way I can get that on there. So I have no idea what they are talking about. It's not the lever, it's the rail itself.

Secondly the other detail, and I guess would be secondary to it actually going on the weapon, is the reticle is specific to 7.62x39mm. Not 54r. Graduated to 400m. With ballistic cams that obviously match.

See what I'm saying? It's not the same.

(Lebanon County)

yea, the two mounts are not the same.
    there is an ak mount, and there is an fpk/psl/svd/sks mount.

there was a time when i was thinking about getting an 8x or something like that posp on an ak mount.....then taking my psl 4x off it's lower mount, swapping glass on the lowers and calling it good....but i lost interest in the whole deal.
    Last edited by brian; June 27th, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

That's a good idea actually. Buying the second scope for an AK so I get a free bottom mount.

(Lebanon County)

but it goes back to having an 762x39 scope on a x54r rifle and vs versus.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Delaware County)

The LPS TIP2 on my PSL will not, repeat NOT, go on my AK. There is a physical situation that makes that impossible. The side rail does not fit in the scope groove period. So as far as them being adjustable, negative. There is no way I can get that on there. So I have no idea what they are talking about. It's not the lever, it's the rail itself.

Secondly the other detail, and I guess would be secondary to it actually going on the weapon, is the reticle is specific to 7.62x39mm. Not 54r. Graduated to 400m. With ballistic cams that obviously match.

Do the PSOPs have ballistic cams? I scanned over one on Kalinka that says you can use with any caliber. I looked at the ones I got from JG, and I didn't see anything but turrets that look like they adjust elevation and windage. Nothing indicating caliber.

Anyway not sure what mount the LPS TIP2 is, but both Romy ones I got went on the PSL no problem. I tried putting it on the Vepr, and it wouldn't go on at first, so I adjusted as described above and it's on there fine.

Sounds like it's not going to work for you.

(Allegheny County)

See the (arrow) numbers that correspond to meters? Yeah, those are meters. (in hundreds) See the reticle in the scope? That little choke range finder? That's all calibrated for 7.62x54r. So are the turrets. In fact... it even compensates for it's offset position over distance too. Because it's for that specific rifle and bullet.

See that (red box) little identification plate on the side of the scope that says LPS TIP2? That's because that is what scope it is.

So... I'd venture a guess you probably can't tell me what it was like to shoot it on an AK with 7.62x39mm at various distances and how the turrets worked (or didn't) when using it...

Because that question still remains unanswered.

As do the rest.

FYI: Regardless of what Kalinka says in their handy cut and paste descriptions, these are not universal scopes. The "dragunov" reticle is for 54r, the "simonov" (400m) reticle is for x39mm. Which is the entire draw of using these particular scopes... they are BDC scopes for the corresponding calibers. Why else would anyone want to buy an offset scope...

Which is exactly what I was trying to contrast in the beginning of the thread when I asked if anyone had used a Romanian PSOP (LPS TIP2) on an AK. Or, if it would be worth spending the money on an AK specific scope. Instead of just using that money to put towards something better for the PSL, and then just switch the bottom mount on the LPS to an AK mount and use the original PSL scope on an AK.

Again. All of which still unanswered.

I thought that was an extremely straight forward question.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 28th, 2010 at 01:46 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast