Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Good Inexpensive Car Insurance?

Hello everybody,
    since moving here, i had not had the time to shop around for car insurance and need to do so in order to register my car in these upcoming days (apparently i only have 20 days from when i moved here to do so). I was wondering if any of you have some recommendations as to what companies are inexpensive around here. The car i will be registering is not the greatest and am only looking for liability coverage (the minimum legal req's). Any suggestions or service u use and are happy with?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Good Inexpensive Car Insurance?

We have ours through AAA and they're rates are better than Geico's. They saved us almost half of what we were paying. So if you're a member of AAA, their auto insurance is good too.

(Luzerne County)

I sold insurance for 8 years before becoming a stay at home mom. IMHO, I worked for GEICO for a few years down in TX and their coverage is really 2nd to none. Then after moving up here I worked for an smaller agency with several office's. Right now I have Travelers for my auto and home and can't really complain. Rates all pretty much depend on your credit, your car, and your driving record. This may just be the "agent" in me talking but, if you just want the minimum liability required by the state (15000 per person liability/30000 max per occurance/5000 property damage) your gonna be screwed if you ever have an accident. that 5000 property damage coverage wont get you too far if you total someone's Lexus and your at fault. So, really the difference in price between those minimum limits and a higher coverage is nominal - i'd go with 25/50/25 to be on the safe side. thats just my .02 and take it for what it's worth.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyedbyrd View Post
    I sold insurance for 8 years before becoming a stay at home mom. IMHO, I worked for GEICO for a few years down in TX and their coverage is really 2nd to none. Then after moving up here I worked for an smaller agency with several office's. Right now I have Travelers for my auto and home and can't really complain. Rates all pretty much depend on your credit, your car, and your driving record. This may just be the "agent" in me talking but, if you just want the minimum liability required by the state (15000 per person liability/30000 max per occurance/5000 property damage) your gonna be screwed if you ever have an accident. that 5000 property damage coverage wont get you too far if you total someone's Lexus and your at fault. So, really the difference in price between those minimum limits and a higher coverage is nominal - i'd go with 25/50/25 to be on the safe side. thats just my .02 and take it for what it's worth.
    you bring up some very interesting points. Im going to have to reconsider my options here..thank you very much!

(Allegheny County)

I agree with blueeyedbird up to a point. If your young and don't have anything to lose why not go with the state minimum? I had a guy hit me who only had the state minimum (he was 18). The damages exceeded his insurance coverage and it would of been a waste of time for me to go to court for the rest.
    Another story, a under age driver in a stolen car totaled my wifes and brothers cars in my driveway - they took him to court and were awarded $160.00 each which they never got from this punk-ass 15 year old.

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; October 11th, 2007 at 01:24 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Luzerne County)

yw, another thing I forgot to mention that goes into determining rates is where ya live....IE Philly drivers are gonna pay more than I do because I live in the sticks. But Berks co. shouldn't be all that terrible. Good luck

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I agree with blueeyedbird up to a point. If your young and don't have anything to lose why not go with the state minimum? I had a guy hit me who only had the state minimum (he was 18). The damages exceeded his insurance coverage and it would of been a waste of time for me to go to court for the rest.
    Another story, a under age driver in a stolen car totaled my wifes and brothers cars in my driveway - they took him to court and were awarded $160.00 each which they never got from this punk-ass 15 year old.

Hawk,
    True, if you have nothing lose state min. might be fine. However for a different of roughly + $20-$50ish per year having a higher amount of coverage to cover yer butt seems like an ok idea to me. Ya just never know who your gonna bump into (literally).