Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1

I saw a sporterized 1944 No. 4 Mk. 1 Long Branch at a gun shop today. Looked like it hadn't been cleaned or taken care of in a long time. It looked to be in some pretty rough shape. A lot of the blueing was gone and I couldn't tell if it was all matching parts or not. Didn't see a serial # on the mag or the bolt.

The gun shop wanted $85 for it. I've heard that Long Branch Enfields are slightly rarer than other models so I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to buy and try to clean it up and put a correct stock on it? The action seemed to work ok. I couldn't get a good look at the bore though. The sporter stock on it is complete garbage btw. so I would mainly be buying it for the receiver and barrel.

I love my No. 1 Mk. 3 and would like to expand on my Enfield collection, but not sure if this one is worth it.

(York County)

Default Re: Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1

Gunslinger:

You've correctly identified one of the main issues with getting a No.4 Enfield. You need to check the bore to see its condition. Restoring a No. 4 to original military condition would make it a valuable rifle if it proves worth the trouble.

Many Enfields do have swapped out bolts. Sometimes they are forced match (electripenciled serial match), other times they don't match. It really doesn't matter as long as the gun is in headspace. Now, there is the big issue you need to address. With surplus .303 ammo now scarce, you are forced to shoot expensive factory ammo, and likely would want to reload it to make your shootin' more affordable. The rifle will have a number on the bolt head. If it is a "0" or "1" it is likely the gun is out of headspace. You can buy a "2" or even a "3" bolt head (they are meant to be easily swapped out), but it will be hard to find those higher number bolt heads... and can be expensive. Try Springfield Sporters or Numrich to see what they'll cost you.

The magazine serial number is a non issue. Sometimes the Brits and Commonwealth made an effort to match (you can sometimes see several sets of numbers crossed out), other times they didn't bother. In any case so long as the spring tension is good and the feed lips are okay it will work fine.

A bigger issue is the stock. Getting a full set of wood for the No. 4 can be expensive. Sportsmans Guide does have them from time to time. Last time they did the wood was $60 for a new set. Springfield Sporters also had wood last time I checked (not sure of price).

Anyway, so long as the receiver bridge or barrel hasn't been cut, all this is do-able. Question is: is it worth it? If you can get this gun for a cheap price, you'd still have to spend about a $100 (at least) to restore it to military trim. Your decision of course, but at least you know your options. With No. 4 Enfields now hovering in the low $300 range it at least is a viable option if you're willing to do the work.

Good luck

Ecclectic Collector

(Monroe County)

If the bolt has a SN it would be on the "rear" face if the handle.

If the bore and headspace is good I'd say get it. Enfieds in fair to good are going for 200+
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

If your looking to make a buck by returning it back to stock than pass on it.
    you will have more into it than it will be worth.
    But if your the kind of person that likes to tinker and scavenge parts, buy it.
    It will probably be one of your favorite rifles when your through and you'll show it off with lots of pride if done correct.

I did it with a Type 99 Arisaka. It took a while to chase the parts down and it's still only 95% but I love pulling it out of the safe to show people.

I also bought a 1942 Savage No.4 mk1 that needs its stock stripped and re-finished. I love the bolt on an Enfield and they are quite accurate too.

(Perry County)

Once a mil-surp has been sporterized I can't see the practicality of returning it to original. The Enfield is an excellent rifle, this might make a good truck gun at that price. Then get yourself a good example of an original.

i have a no4 mk1 that has been shortened. serial no. is no4 mk1rof(f)3/44 it looks like a good factory job. the stock has been sporterized. i was just reading something about these rifles. does anybody have anything on this ? restless123

(Montgomery County)

[QUOTE=Ecclectic Collector;1248211]Gunslinger:

The rifle will have a number on the bolt head. If it is a "0" or "1" it is likely the gun is out of headspace.

Is this typical of all Enfields or particular to the No.4? I see no such numbers on my Australian No.1 or No.5

(Lancaster County)

I have a Longbranch No.4 that had been sporterized.
    The barrel is crap (and was cut), and the stock had been shortened to be more like a hunting rifle.
    I paid $75 for it.

I have decided not to restore it, as it would require a rebarrel and many "new" parts.
    I believe in keeping a shooter shooting.
    Instead of restoring I am going to install a 7.62x39 conversion kit from Special Interest Arms in NV, and a scount scop mount from XS.
    It will make a neat brush gun and breathe new life into a tired old rifle.

I am a believer in keeping battle rifles original when possible.
    Sometimes it just makes more sense to do something fun