Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Thumbs down Carrying with out practicing.

No one would debate the importance of regular practice if you are going to carry a firearm. I try to get to the range every other week at minimum. However due to life’s pressures regular practice is not always possible. 3 weeks ago it dawned on me that I had not had any range time for over 2 months and I got to the range ASAP.

The less than stellar first shoots got me thinking that maybe there should be a period of time that if someone doesn’t practice they should stop carrying.

Are there any 24X7 carriers that would stop carrying if they went a period of time without practice and how long would that time have to be?
    If you are gong through Hell, keep going.--Winston Churchill

(Venango County)

Default Re: Carrying with out practicing.

It is good to practice. It is great to be in tip-top physical shape.

But they are not excuses for not carrying if you fail your criterion.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayInPa View Post
    No one would debate the importance of regular practice if you are going to carry a firearm. I try to get to the range every other week at minimum. However due to life’s pressures regular practice is not always possible. 3 weeks ago it dawned on me that I had not had any range time for over 2 months and I got to the range ASAP.

The less than stellar first shoots got me thinking that maybe there should be a period of time that if someone doesn’t practice they should stop carrying.

Are there any 24X7 carriers that would stop carrying if they went a period of time without practice and how long would that time have to be?
    LOL just because my skills may not be at max performance doesn't mean a junkie isn't going to try and hold me up with a blade. Just because you can't hit the bullseye every time doesn't mean you should give up your best shot at staying alive in an encounter. When i don't shoot for a month I can pick up right where I left off most times, I'm nothing special, I don't shoot competition and I’m not a prodigy either.

How about the people who just have weapons in their home for home defense? Do they have to lock them up and not have access to them because they haven't gotten to the range? What about the guy who lives in an area where all the doors are unlocked, everyone knows everyone, a 1950s leave it to beaver area but has to travel to a bad area for work or to pick up the kid from college a few times year and needs to be armed?

I understand where your coming from on this and I’m not jumping on ya. But going to the range and hitting targets is a small part of carrying and self defense, if you don't on the other skills like situational awareness, retention, how to position yourself, grip, when faced with 2 armed attackers hit target 1 take a step away and hit target 2, controlling yourself in a stressful situation, acting quickly and intelligent during an attack, knowing how not to get stabbed by an attacker with a knife and figuring out when to draw and fire along with the where, how, why and what to heed.

That's just a few and most if not all can and need to be practiced on dry runs before putting it in action.

If you don't use it you'll lose it, my point being hit targets is the last thing you have to worry about. I think it's most self defense situation happen a few yards away. Even novice shooters I know can hit targets pretty consistently at those distances. Also what are you worried about with not being able to hit the attacker? You know that you are 1000000% responsible for everything that comes out of your gun. But you’re not going to fire on someone if there’s a bus full of infants behind him. lol

I wouldn't worry about it to much, tons of people on here didn't shoot, didn't shoot as much, didn't shoot their carry gun which maybe a .45 because ammo wasn't available or cost to much. So either no shooting, a box here and there, or the ar15, 1911, glock, sigs an others were converted to a .22.

(Allegheny County)

I'm a big proponent of training and practice, but I don't think it should be a prerequisite to carrying for protection.

The reality is that a self defense encounter is likely to occur within contact distance and maybe a little further out, so your ability to consistently hit a bulls-eye at 15-20 yards isn't all that important.

Part of the utility of a firearm is that it puts a relatively weak and untrained and person on level ground with a younger and strong aggressor. If a grandmother who may not have shot a gun in years can pull a gun from a purse and defend herself against an attacker, I'm sure you'll be okay with a short lapse in practice. Consider that your lapse of a couple of months between practice sessions is still more often than law enforcement officers are required to do.

If you really want to practice and find it that difficult to get out to the range regularly, you'd probably be best served with practicing your draw and dry-firing. Both of which you can do safely at home with an unloaded gun. The reality is that in a deadly force encounter your ability to produce the gun quickly is probably a lot more important than your ability to put an accurate shot at 15-20 yards.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Lackawanna County)

There are many people that believe only the police should have guns.

There are many cops who only practice right before their annual or biennial qualifications.

In general, I'd say that most of us practice a lot more than the police.

Forget the bullseye. Put up a nine or ten inch paper plate, about 40 to 44 inches above the ground.

Can you put all your shots on the plate from a clean draw from 7 yards? Then you're good to go.

You are saving your life, not participating in a scored competition.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Monroe County)

Here is a great example -

After my shoulder got screwed up, I could not shoot for almost a year because the felt recoil was enough to damn near put me in tears and sometimes it did when I, out of stupidity tried going to the range. After I was able to shoot actual defense calibers again (anything above a 22 basically) and my shoulder was almost 100% (though it never will be 100% because of the injury) I wasnt putting 5-7shots in a quarter at 7 yards anymore, but on a man size target at 7 yards I could still put every shot where I wanted it to go, be it COM or head.

Shooting may be a learned skill, and some people just have a knack for it. HOWEVER, you may forget some things like taking apart a certain handgun but you never lose your whole skill set. After almost a year of not shooting, I realized I wasnt as "good" as I was before, but I can still effectively shoot for the purpose of defense. Honestly, we arent trying to split a playing card at 30 feet, we are trying to save our own life or the life of someone we love.

(Monroe County)

I think one should re-qual semi monthly. Or at least hit the range with some sort of handgun. Basics are basics. But still I've been busy so finally last week I did my version of carry requal. Torso targets at 7&10yrds with drawing with 1st shot being dbl action. Also I would try to stand calm and then suddenly tenseing up as to react to a threat and drawing and taking 2 shots.

Shot story is I needed the range time. 100 rds later all shots were ctr mass in 2-3" of each other.

You should give yourself honest eval of your shooting skills and go when needed.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Shooting and riding a bike are perishable skills. They diminish if you don't use them. But only to a certain point.

There is no reason to stop carrying if you can't get to the range in a month and doing so would be irresponsible if you honestly care about your personal protection and that of your family.

Practice often. But don't sacrifice your safety. If you get to the range a couple times a year you're going as good as some cops.

(Lehigh County)

i dont believe that because you havnt been to the range in a month says you cant hit the target your aiming at... if you are not confident in your shot mentally THEN maybe you shouldnt carry... the only thing that bothers me is i have encountered police and armed security officers that have straight up told me they havent been out at the range since qualifications and they need to get out cause they have to requalify in a month... that worries me sometimes but again if they know they can shoot and they feel they can hit their target who am i to question that...

(Bucks County)

I started carrying about 15 yrs ago...then about 10 yrs ago it got stored away due to frequent NJ visits. Registered here just over a yr ago and started carrying again...but hadn't been to a range in that 10 yr period. With exception of a PAFOA get together 9-ish months ago, 1st real range visit was 2 weeks ago.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast