Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Finally Pulling the Trigger On My First AR Build

Well, over the past few months I have had several threads posted with questions gathering information for my first AR-15 build. I've decided to finally pull the trigger on getting this build underway. I've decided that I'm going to go with one of the Del-Ton kits, as I'm a college student and don't have a ton of extra cash to throw into this build, especially considering I plan on studying abroad next spring...gotta have some money to blow in Australia Here are the options I'm thinking of going with, I'd love some input as to if these components will be adequate for my purposes (hunting varmints/coyotes, target shooting, plinking).

-Del-Ton 20" Rifle Kit
    -20" DTI lightweight barrel (non-chrome lined, 1x9 twist)
    -Standard gas tube
    -Standard handguards
    -Standard (non-chrome) bolt and carrier
    -A2 buttstock
    -A2 grip
    -Detachable carry handle
    -Phantom aggressive comp/brake
    -Standard A2 front sight (but no bayonet lug)
    -Lower parts kit with RRA 2 stage trigger
    -Standard charging handle
    -Flat top upper with M4 feed ramps

Keep in mind that I live in NY, hence the Phantom comp/brake instead of a flash hider, a bayonet lug-less FSB, and a non-collapsible stock. Is the Phantom comp/brake a decent thing to have, or would I be better off getting the rifle without a flash hider or brake and adding a different one and getting it pinned/welded? Thanks for your input, I can't wait to finally get this build underway!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Finally Pulling the Trigger On My First AR Build

I'm not a big fan of delton
    I'm not a big fan of non chrome lined.
    I'm not a big fan of 1/9 twist.
    I'm not a big fan of 2 stage triggers.

Other than that.....

Good luck with your build. It is not what I would build but it's you who needs to be happy with it.

There are plenty of people with delton kits that are happy. I just had a bad experience one time. It was with customer service - it never got to the point that I actually bought something from them.

I'd really suggest Bravo Co. but they are more expensive than delton. But like most things in life, you need to pay to play.

Thanks for your input. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what is the issue that you have with Del-Ton as a company? The only contact I have had directly with them was a couple of emails, which they replied promptly enough to and answered the questions I had. I'm just wondering if there is anything about them I should watch out for.

As far as chrome-lined, I feel that for my purposes I would not really see the benefits of it. Since I plan to use it to hunt at medium ranges (out to around 300 yards), and not really abuse the rifle, that it isn't something that is necessary for me. If I am overlooking something, please share. I'm here to learn!

The 1x9 twist is the only one that Del-Ton offers in the lightweight profile 20" configuration. Since I plan on using varmint loads, and working up my own handloads, I thought this would be a good place to start. I plan on eventually upgrading the barrel, likely to a White Oak SPR barrel.

Why do you recommend not getting a two stage trigger? Just curious. Thanks again for your comments, I'm eager to learn as much as I can about this platform.

(Montgomery County)

My issue was i was asking a question via email. They never replied. I emaild them 3 times. This was well before the obama run on AR's. I called them. They said they'd call me back. I have never gotten the call back.

If this is how they treat people looking to give them money, i can only guess how it would be after they have my money.

I like chrome lined because it is much easier to clean. I own 1 non chrome lined and it is much harder to get clean than my other chrome lined.

I like 1/7 twist because i like the 75g bullets. I own mostly 16" rifles. For your purpose 1/9 will be fine. Like i said, it isn't what i'd build. We cant hunt with semis in PA.

I'm not sure what i don't like about 2 stage triggers???? I just prefer the standard trigger. I've only shot 2 stage twice and it just felt odd.

Thanks for the info. They have always responded to my emails within 24 hours, although I've only contacted them a handful of times. This has been within the past two months, though, so maybe they've pulled things together a bit as of late in the CS department. We'll see, I plan on asking them a couple more questions before I go through with my build.

Have you noticed much of a difference in accuracy between the chromed and non-chromed barrels? When I asked about that particular feature awhile ago on these boards, most people said that for hunting non-chrome lined would be better for me because of the loss of accuracy inherent in chrome lined barrels. The ease of cleaning really appeals to me, but not at the expense of a substantial accuracy loss.

I find it funny that here in NY we can hunt with semi's, but can't own have a pistol grip along with a flash hider, collapsible stock, or bayonet lug. And anything above a 10 round mag is a huge no-no. Makes so much sense...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TWC View Post
    Thanks for the info. They have always responded to my emails within 24 hours, although I've only contacted them a handful of times. This has been within the past two months, though, so maybe they've pulled things together a bit as of late in the CS department. We'll see, I plan on asking them a couple more questions before I go through with my build.

Have you noticed much of a difference in accuracy between the chromed and non-chromed barrels? When I asked about that particular feature awhile ago on these boards, most people said that for hunting non-chrome lined would be better for me because of the loss of accuracy inherent in chrome lined barrels. The ease of cleaning really appeals to me, but not at the expense of a substantial accuracy loss.

I find it funny that here in NY we can hunt with semi's, but can't own have a pistol grip along with a flash hider, collapsible stock, or bayonet lug. And anything above a 10 round mag is a huge no-no. Makes so much sense...

If you get a good chrome lined barrel, it will hold 1 MOA all day long. I dont know about you, but if I want to shoot better, I grab a different gun. You need to consider where the loss of accuracy is coming from. Most of us run 1/7 CL cold hammer forged barrels with ammo that is good enough to hit a paper plate at 100 yards. The red dot on most optics is 4" at that range, so hits are good, precision is not.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by TWC View Post

Non-chromed barrels shoot about .5 moa better....on average. The quality of the chrome lining can vary greatly and some guns can barely get to 2" groups. I like all my rifles to shoot sub MOA, but I admit to having high expectations.

The lightwight barrel may lose some accuracy as it heats up. The lighter barrels tend to shoot well, but can string shots after a few fast shots.

I have chrome and non chromed bolts and they take about the same to clean. Chromed pistols, however, are a wonderful thing.....

All my 1:9 guns love the 69gr Sierra Match King over Varget. They will also all stabilize the 77gr Nosler Custom Competition, but accuracy is not on par with the 69gr. (My WOA barrel behaves just the opposite due to the 1:7 twist).

Tha Phantom does a decent job as a brake without being too loud. If you want to see hits in the scope then spend another $20 and get a Miculek comp.

Lycanotherperspectivethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Thanks for the information everyone. As far as the Phantom brake, I brought it up because it is the only brake in the options available with the kit and is only an additional $20. I'd rather stick with just the A2 flash hider, but I'd also rather not have the BATFE on my case.

ETA: I now see that I can get a Miculek compensator for about $35 shipped from another site. This is the comp your referencing, correct? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR535-7.html

It makes sense then to just order my kit without any muzzle device and add the Miculek and pin it myself, if it's worth the extra $15.
    Last edited by TWC; June 19th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Non-chromed barrels shoot about .5 moa better....on average. The quality of the chrome lining can vary greatly and some guns can barely get to 2" groups. I like all my rifles to shoot sub MOA, but I admit to having high expectations.
    Non chrome barrels as in a target-varmint-accurate barrel I assume? I wouldnt think an unchromed "battle barrel" would be much better regardless of coating.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

what is this "cleaning" that you speak of ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast