Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Outdoor Federal Property in a City

I'm going to be doing some work on a city block where some of the property may be owned by the Federal Government but there are no buildings conducting federal business.

OK to carry outside on Federal property? OK inside a building owned by the Federal government if the building does not conduct federal business and has no Federal employees posted there?

Thanks.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Outdoor Federal Property in a City

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I'm going to be doing some work on a city block where some of the property may be owned by the Federal Government but there are no buildings conducting federal business.

OK to carry outside on Federal property? OK inside a building owned by the Federal government if the building does not conduct federal business and has no Federal employees posted there?

Thanks.
    I can tell you this much... I work in a federal Prison we CANT carry to and from work even though we are covered under LEOSA ebcause its federal property..we cant even have it in our car in the trunk locked up or tiehrwise OUTSIDE in the parking lot.. anywhere on the property outside or what ever. so im guessing NO is the answer.

(Chester County)

Thanks.
    From what you describe the place does not qualify as a 'Federal facility" defined as:
    18 USC 930(g) As used in this section:
    (1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    so that particular Federal law does not apply.

Do you know what Federal agency controls the location? Many Federal departments have regulations (CFRs) that prohibit firearms possession on 'their' property - for example Veterans Affairs. Army Corps of Engineering, etc.
    IANAL

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    I can tell you this much... I work in a federal Prison we CANT carry to and from work even though we are covered under LEOSA ebcause its federal property..we cant even have it in our car in the trunk locked up or tiehrwise OUTSIDE in the parking lot.. anywhere on the property outside or what ever. so im guessing NO is the answer.
    Guessing doesn't cut the mustard. A statute or a regulation applies, otherwise there's no issue. Concerning your "federal" prison, regulations apply, plus terms of employment. Yes, you can carry to and from work, you just can't have your car (with firearm secured inside) parked on prison property.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    From what you describe the place does not qualify as a 'Federal facility" defined as:

so that particular Federal law does not apply.

Do you know what Federal agency controls the location? Many Federal departments have regulations (CFRs) that prohibit firearms possession on 'their' property - for example Veterans Affairs. Army Corps of Engineering, etc.
    That's a very good question, as I don't know how "ownership" works with them. The government owned properties have been purchase by GSA as far as I know. They are managing them (and own them?).

It's a future construction project. There is no government office onsite. I could walk out of a convenience store or somebody's house and walk right onto government property and then back off onto city or private property.

(Chester County)

That's a very good question, as I don't know how "ownership" works with them. The government owned properties have been purchase by GSA as far as I know. They are managing them (and own them?).

It's a future construction project. There is no government office onsite. I could walk out of a convenience store or somebody's house and walk right onto government property and then back off onto city or private property.
    My cursory research only turned up a Federal Management Regulation (41CFR102-74.440):

TITLE 41--PUBLIC CONTRACTS AND PROPERTY MANAGEMENT

CHAPTER 102--FEDERAL MANAGEMENT REGULATION

PART 102-74_FACILITY MANAGEMENT--Table of Contents

Subpart C_Conduct on Federal Property

Sec. 102-74.440 What is the policy concerning weapons on Federal property?

Federal law prohibits the possession of firearms or other dangerous
    weapons in Federal facilities and Federal court facilities by all
    persons not specifically authorized by 18 U.S.C. 930. Violators will be
    subject to fine and/or imprisonment for periods up to five (5) years.
    This would seem to be applicable to GSA property. There is no GSA specific regulatiion under CHAPTER 105--GENERAL SERVICES ADMINISTRATION of said CFR that deals with weapons.

I wish I could be more definitive but since its unclear exactly what agency(ies) is/are possibly involved there's no assurance that you won't run afoul of some obscure CFR.
    IANAL

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Guessing doesn't cut the mustard. A statute or a regulation applies, otherwise there's no issue. Concerning your "federal" prison, regulations apply, plus terms of employment. Yes, you can carry to and from work, you just can't have your car (with firearm secured inside) parked on prison property.
    come on like im gonna park and walk a MILE lol give me a break. And I sure can guess because I know I cant have it im just guessing to the OP question..HE is the one that needs to know so I took a guess..thats why I stated it was a guess...I know I cant have mine even on the grounds..I go fishing a mile away from the institution and I cant even see the complex when im fishing back at the ponds..but since its still on federal "grounds" I still cant carry there. Fed law is VERY funky so id not carry unless I specifically asked and got the ok...they always have some kind of goofy loophole to try to nail you.
    Last edited by CBennett; June 18th, 2010 at 10:50 PM.

(Indiana County)

Sorry, no slam-em-to-the-ground-and-kick-em-in-the-face intended, but in your case, you do have the option of parking off-site. Whether you choose to travel to and from work unarmed is your choice, but the option is available.

Concerning the OP, guessing is not an option. Not on this forum. People get chewed up and spit out for such. You know that.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Sorry, no slam-em-to-the-ground-and-kick-em-in-the-face intended, but in your case, you do have the option of parking off-site. Whether you choose to travel to and from work unarmed is your choice, but the option is available.

Concerning the OP, guessing is not an option. Not on this forum. People get chewed up and spit out for such. You know that.
    ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz