Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default what happens after 45 days... ltcf

hey all i was just wondering, i've read in threads that the sheriff has 45 days by law to approve or deny an aplication for ltcf.
    what happens if the 45 days lapse?
    Last edited by tacticalG23; April 12th, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
    كافر

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: what happens after 45 days... ltcf

I think some can also use the excuse 45 business days which obiously extends it out much longer. i just went today for the intervirew and they told me 8-10 weeks i would receive a response which is more that 45 days even on the low side of the spectrum there.

(Berks County)

Hey tacticalG23,

You probably should be receiving yours soon. Almost everyone I know got theirs in 3 weeks. I don't know about the 45 days lapse, but perhaps someone can chime in with the answer.

rand
    Last edited by dnar; October 10th, 2007 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo

(Cambria County)

Well, I hope you get yours soon. I'm waiting to find out if I can even get one in the state of PA. They too told me something was broken so I'd have to call tomorrow. We'll see...As for the 45 days lapsing...I couldn't tell you, my husband filled out the application, went into the sheriff's office and was out with his CCW (or LTCF, whatever PA calls it) after about 15 minutes.
    Semper Gumby,
    Kimberly

Shoot Like A Girl.....If You Can!

(Northampton County)

Mine took 31 days exactly (Northampton County).

I know it's hard .. but you just have to wait it out. I hated the wait... but when it came I forgot all about it

(Indiana County)

The law reads as follows:

18 Pa.C.S. 6109(g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons. The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application.

You will note that the law does not state 45 business days, but rather 45 days, period. If the term "45 days" is not further defined, then, by state law, it must be presumed to mean 45 calendar days - from receipt of application, not personal interview following x number of days following application submission, nor x number of days following the next full moon or any other such act dreamt up by the county sheriff.

If, following 45 days, a license is not issued, visit the Clerk of Court office and find out how to file to get the county sheriff to comply with the law.

(Chester County)

I thought that I read if it is not approved or denied within 45 days it was considered approved to stop any prejudice in the system. That may have been another state though...

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by FubijamsWife View Post
    Well, I hope you get yours soon. I'm waiting to find out if I can even get one in the state of PA. They too told me something was broken so I'd have to call tomorrow. We'll see...As for the 45 days lapsing...I couldn't tell you, my husband filled out the application, went into the sheriff's office and was out with his CCW (or LTCF, whatever PA calls it) after about 15 minutes.
    Curious from your other post, does your husband have a PA drivers license or do they accept military ID?

(Indiana County)

sure you can file to get them to comply with law but then they would probably just get pissed and deny you for not dotting an i or crossing a t in your name or something...
    If the license is denied, it has to be for one of the reasons enumerated in 18 Pa.C.S. 6109(e)(1) or 18 Pa.C.S. 6105(h). Embarrassing the sheriff before the court is not one of the reasons so listed.