Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default PA DMV's is it legal to carry?

I have to go to the DMV tomorrow and I can't seem to find online if its legal or not to carry in one.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: PA DMV's is it legal to carry?

thanks, i know this is going to turn into a bad day tomorrow at that place if i OC so i'm probably just gonna CC. I just don't like leaving my gun in the car.

You're welcome, I knew I had seen it discussed here before. As always, if you're not comfortable OCing then don't. If CC feels good for you there then go for it.

Although both ways would be perfectly legal according to the other threads.
    A PENNDot building is not statutorily off-limits.

(Adams County)

When I moved here from Maryland I was still CC'ing with Virginia non-resident CCW. I looked through the off limits lists posted here and could not find anything specifically prohibiting carry into the DMV center. So, I CC'd to the one in Gettysburg, there were no signs on the door or anywhere near the entrance forbidding any type of carry. Went back a second time with my son to get his and same thing. Was a rather pleasant and uneventful trip both times (MD DMV is horrible).
    Porsche, there is no substitute

(Lackawanna County)

I was a little concerned carrying in there because those guys at the DMV have a god complex, they tell people No and to go home and get the SS card or we don't take cash, they just love being dicks at times.

I was carrying the new G17 gen4 and I had to be printing pretty bad and not to mention i had a double mag carrier on my belt in the open. I was there getting my little brother a photo ID for his up coming trip to ocean city. I told him i'm not letting him go unless he gets one because it's senior week down there i think and you have a good chance of being arrested, kicked out of your condo or hotel, or running out of money. All of those things you need an ID for and the passport he has already went through the washer once and survived, so i told him losing or mucking up a 12 dollar id isn't as bad as losing or destroying a 150 dollar document.

Other than long long long waits on my way out I was standing up near all of the stations and some fat guy got excited, pointed and said he's got clips lol i looked at him and said What? in a grr manner lol and hes like oh i didn't know what that was and then i realized it was clips. I waited for lil brother to walk over to me and i said Thier Mags not clips, and the guys like oh well yeah same thing whatever....i walked a closer to the door and said no thiers a huge difference and left.

Could the DMV people have told me to leave? and would i have had to, at this DMV the state police barracks are less than 50 feet away.

(Indiana County)

First, seeing as how there is not such thing as a "DMV" in Pennsylvania, it would be extremely difficult to carry there. Wouldn't be illegal, but it would be impossible.

Second, they could always ask you to leave, but they wouldn't have an statutory authority to do so, resulting in your filing of a private criminal complaint for official oppression against the individual asking you to leave, as long as you weren't doing anything illegal to begin with.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    First, seeing as how there is not such thing as a "DMV" in Pennsylvania, it would be extremely difficult to carry there. Wouldn't be illegal, but it would be impossible.

Second, they could always ask you to leave, but they wouldn't have an statutory authority to do so, resulting in your filing of a private criminal complaint for official oppression against the individual asking you to leave, as long as you weren't doing anything illegal to begin with.
    hmm thats interesting, what do we call PA's "dmv's"?

I was just making sure that it's not a privatized in someway. How does it play out tho.

Jane spots john carrying
    Jane confronts john and says you can't have that in here you have to leave
    John says no its legal to carry in here and its a public property i don't ahve to leave
    Jane calls the police............................................ . how does that end

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    hmm thats interesting, what do we call PA's "dmv's"?
    It is called Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) Driver & Vehicle Services.

(Franklin County)

I thought the PA DMV was where one could acquire the rarely seen PA CCW.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast