Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Newbie Questions. CC and Bars/Drinking

Hey guys I've searched a few threads and could not find a definate answer to my question. I know that it is legal to carry into bars and places that serve alcohol. What are the rules for drinking while carrying. Say I want to go out to eat, CC, and have a beer or two at dinner. Is this illegal. I was under the impression that if you were under the legal limit to drive then you are under the legal limit to carry. I could be 100% wrong. Thanks for any help

(Berks County)

Default Re: Newbie Questions. CC and Bars/Drinking

There is no statute that says you cannot consume alcohol while carrying.

[let the debate begin!]

IANAL *runaway*

Not true in my state (Michigan):

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...0961--,00.html
    An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall not possess a concealed pistol on their person or motor vehicle while they have any bodily alcohol content (.02 bodily alcohol content [BAC] or above) or a controlled substance.
    Pistol free zones:
    http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123...0947--,00.html
    A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises
    Sorry, no help to you Pennsylvanians. This is what I have to comply with though.
    Looking to start homebrewing? Read my primers here and here

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1988 Olds View Post
    Hey guys I've searched a few threads and could not find a definate answer to my question. I know that it is legal to carry into bars and places that serve alcohol. What are the rules for drinking while carrying. Say I want to go out to eat, CC, and have a beer or two at dinner. Is this illegal. I was under the impression that if you were under the legal limit to drive then you are under the legal limit to carry. I could be 100% wrong. Thanks for any help
    This is a very sore subject for many. I'm a non-drinker so i can't really chime in on the subject.

(Bucks County)

Enjoy your meal. PA has no law restricting carry and drinking. Just use your own judgment as to how much you drink while carrying.

(Montgomery County)

Pennsylvania has no statute prohibiting any blood alcohol content and lawfully carrying a firearm. The BAC (blood alcohol content) limit for driving is just that, for driving. You could be 4 times the driving limit and open carry a short barreled rifle. Of course, you could be arrested for public intoxication, but that is whole different story.

In short, Pennsylvania does not prohibit in any way the carrying of firearms while consuming alcohol. Nor should they.

Drinking or not, you are responsible for everything you do.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Enjoy your meal. PA has no law restricting carry and drinking. Just use your own judgment as to how much you drink while carrying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Pennsylvania has no statute prohibiting any blood alcohol content and lawfully carrying a firearm. The BAC (blood alcohol content) limit for driving is just that, for driving. You could be 4 times the driving limit and open carry a short barreled rifle. Of course, you could be arrested for public intoxication, but that is whole different story.

In short, Pennsylvania does not prohibit in any way the carrying of firearms while consuming alcohol. Nor should they.

Drinking or not, you are responsible for everything you do.
    /thread

(Before the inevitable debate starts!)

Props to those who answered professionally.
    III%

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the help guys. If I know I'm going to a bar to party or what not of course the gun stays at home but sometimes I'll be over a buddies and we'll be bored and I'll have my gun on me and be worried if going and having a beer or two while watching a game could get my in trouble.

(York County)

Just be responsible as others had said. If you are drinking leave the gun in it's holster. Don't get it out to show anyone. Even a few drinks can blur your judgement and cause you to make a stupid life changing mistake. Safest place is always in the holster.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Philadelphia County)

And if you happen to have to use it, the fact that you were drinking could be used against you. Hopefully you only used it because you had to. But if your judgment was clouded due to the booze, and you could have otherwise avoided the need...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast