Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Gunsmith for Beretta 96G

Hello all. I purchased a used Beretta 96G (.40 S&W with decock only) at a gun show back in 2008. I've shot it only once since then and found that it seems to be very inaccurate even at modest ranges. My experience with Berettas is that they are very accurate, so I checked the barrel and with the slide in battery I am able to wiggle the barrel in the slide a fair amount. I am thinking I should replace the barrel (it may be pretty shot out), but am I going to need a new slide as well? Or should I just send it out to a gunsmith? If so, who knows their way around Berettas with accuracy issues? Thanks in advance.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Gunsmith for Beretta 96G

locking block on it might be worn or the area in the slide that the locking block mates with might also be worn. Ditto on the locking block plunger and spring, they may be worn.

Inpsect those areas first as they are key in locking the barrel in place.

use this as a guide from numrich arms:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=9296

you might also want to call Beretta and see if they will repair these items under their warrany.

Assuming that this Beretta was NOT a police trade in...............

You are the original owner right????
    gotta love her ;)

(Berks County)

I purchased a used, police turn in Model 96. Found it had a cut recoil spring and a bulged barrel. Cheaper Than Dirt was selling 96 Slide/ Barrel groups so I picked a set up and now am good to go.
    Last edited by Berks_Iraq_Vet; June 17th, 2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Centre County)

Thanks guys. I think mine is probably an ex police gun. There is a marking on the frame above the trigger guard on the left side that reads "FWPD", which I'm assuming is Fort Worth Police Department. I don't want to buy a slide on cheaper than dirt because I have the G model and don't want to lose the decocker-only feature. Manual safeties are for amateurs

I may try getting a new barrel and locking block and see how that works out. I can always get a new slide later if it doesn't help.

(Centre County)

If you want (or can make it), a bunch of people will be going to Scotia on Sunday around noon. I'll be introducing some people to the shooting sports (at least one is a person from a country that restricts guns). If you would like, bring it out and I can take a look at it before you spend a bunch of money. Other wise you can contact me via PM or email and we can set up a time for you to bring it by the shop for me to look at it. I can provide references to my work if you want.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

That sounds good. I will check with some friends and see if they would want to come along for Sunday (I'm staying with them, so they might have other plans). I have experience teaching friends to shoot, so if I can lend a hand with your group I would be glad to.

I've never been to Sciota, but I should be able to find it. Anything I need to know about the place? I know that is where the IDPA state championship is being held, so I guess its a gun club? Do I need to be a member?

(Centre County)

[QUOTE=Longbow79;1253305I've never been to Sciota, but I should be able to find it. Anything I need to know about the place? I know that is where the IDPA state championship is being held, so I guess its a gun club? Do I need to be a member?[/QUOTE]

It is a PGC Shooting Range so other than certain types of competitions you are restricted to 3 rounds in a rifle and 6 in a handgun, no matter what. Hope to see you there.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member