Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Drew on a toad last night

Just wanted to share a humorous situation.

It 3 AM and my wife and I are asleep. We sleep in a finished basement because it is very cool down there in the summer without the need for air conditioning. I wake up to hear our dog huffing. He sleeps on a blanket on the floor at the foot of the bed. He gets up and walks slowly towards the open door growling, then he runs up the stairs so fast he wipes out on the wood floor and runs to the back door barking. This is unusual behavior, so I grab my Beretta Px4 and cautiously follow him. I turn on the outdoor lights but don't see anything so I let him out. He jumps out the door and right to a dry well at the back of the house where the chimney for the pellet stove exits the house. It turns out there is a toad trying to jump out of the 1 foot deep semicircular well. He heard this thing through 10 inches of cement block, drywall and ceramic tile from 20 feet away and thought it was important enough to trigger an all out attack.

At least I got to see that my glow-in-the-dark sights work, and it turned out to be a good live drill HD practice run. Also, got to calibrate the dog's hearing so I know he can hear a leaf drop outside. Dog, toad, wife and me are all fine.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Drew on a toad last night

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post

Dog, toad, wife and me are all fine.
    Glad to hear all are ok. I was afraid the toad may have 'croaked' on you.

My doberman loves to go on frog hunts by the pool. Frogs and toads just love to park on the cement and occasionally drown in the pool. It is a nightly ritual to find and shew them away. He doesn't bark at them though!

The little tree frogs with the suckers get on my house in July/August and are very noisy chirpers.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Well this is as silly as what happened to me a little while ago. I walk outside and see 2 red eyes glowing and am startled, thinking for a moment it is a fox and what is a fox doing this close to the house? But then as my night vision gets better I see it is our black cat Benny and the lights from the porch are hitting his eyes. I didn't draw down on my cat though. I didn't know Benny has evil black cat red glowing eyes! The other cats' eyeshine always shows up as white/yellowish.

For the record there was once a red fox nearby where Benny was, but it was daylight and the fox had worn a path going back and forth along the fine mesh fence. This was back in the days before I started carrying, so the fox spooked and found a way out after a minute or so. The fox may have been involved in the massacre of 7-8 mostly grown guineas that I discovered had happened the evening before.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Philadelphia County)

Animal's senses are amazing. My cat was sleeping on the window sill the other day, then jumped up, ran around the corner and down the stairs. Thought he might have heard a mouse because one occassionally and foolishly wanders in until he snags it. But no, what got his attention out of line of sight and half way down the carpeted stairs was a ladybug.

I didn't draw on it.