Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Carry inside Natl Parks

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    How can they if it's federally owned property? I understand about state's rights and all, but that is assuming the property is theirs... in this case, it isn't.. That would kinda be like me having a house, and you telling me I can't put wallpaper in it.. wouldn't it?

Federal law says that a National Park will follow the same standard as the state in which it is located. If the state says that all public parks and recreational areas are off-limits, then federal law for that park follows the same path. A prime example is Illinois. All carrying for protection is effectively illegal in IL, so any federal park within IL is off-limits for protective carry.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Carry inside Natl Parks

Interesting the Maine bill [LD 1737] actually directed itself to National Parks exclusively:

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:

Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §756 is enacted to read:
    § 756. National parks
    1. Definitions. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise indicates, the following terms have the following meanings.
    A. "Firearm" has the same meaning as in section 10001, subsection 21.
    B. "Residential dwelling" means a fixed housing structure that either is the principal residence of its occupants or is occupied on a regular and recurring basis by its occupants as an alternate residence or vacation home.
    2. Possession of firearms. A person may not possess a firearm in any unit of the United States National Park System located in the State except:
    A. Within a residential dwelling;
    B. To the extent the firearm is used in connection with hunting when and where authorized by state or federal law;
    C. Within a mechanical mode of conveyance as long as the firearm is rendered temporarily inoperable or is packed, cased or stored in a manner that prevents its ready use; or
    D. When the firearm is carried by an authorized federal, state or local law enforcement officer in the performance of the officer's official duties.
    It was later amended to include:
    G. When the firearm is a concealed firearm carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued as provided in Title 25, chapter 252. The person must have in that person's possession the permit as required in Title 25, section 2003.
    IANAL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12