Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Benefits of Chrome BCG

I posted awhile ago asking about the benefits of numerous things regarding an AR build that I am in the progress of doing. As far as the bolt and carrier, is what are the benefits of a chrome bolt and carrier? Should I be looking to spend the extra money on this? This rifle's use will be hunting and plinking. Thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Benefits of Chrome BCG

Quote Originally Posted by TWC View Post
    I posted awhile ago asking about the benefits of numerous things regarding an AR build that I am in the progress of doing. As far as the bolt and carrier, is what are the benefits of a chrome bolt and carrier? Should I be looking to spend the extra money on this? This rifle's use will be hunting and plinking. Thanks in advance.
    IMO, nah. I have heard that they are only a little lighter and easier to clean so are mainly used in competitions.

(Lawrence County)

They aren't lighter....they are just coated in hard chrome.

Hard chrome is more resistent to corrosion and IS easier to clean....although I still have to scrape carbon off my chrome and non chormed bolts and I'd say they are the same in this case (hard chromed pistols, however, are wonderful).

What they don't tell you is that hard chrome is well.....HARD. That means it takes a bit longer to lap in and smooth up and can be kinda tight until they break in.

If you aren't shooting in harsh environments, I'd skip it on the bolt and carrier. If you want to make carbon removal easier, smooth up the rear of the bolt with 1000 grit paper. Carbon will adhere to any burrs or rough spots. After that, 0000 steel wool takes it off easily.

LycanYMMVthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Thanks guys.

(Allegheny County)

I have not been agonizing too terribly much over cleaning the carbon off of the tail on my BCM, per the advice of others, and life has been much better since I stopped doing so.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I have not been agonizing too terribly much over cleaning the carbon off of the tail on my BCM, per the advice of others, and life has been much better since I stopped doing so.
    ^This! On a rifle that is up for inspection, storage or just isn't used very often go ahead and clean it off. However on a rifle that is used and shot regularly there is no need to worry about getting it all off, it will not affect operation.
    The main difference a chromed bolt will make is that it will make it a little easier to clean, if the additional cost to chrome a consumable part is worth it to you then go for it.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Bucks County)

There is another option; look into getting a chrome bolt. It's available at Spike's Tactical. It was an affordable upgrade without the total cost of a full chrome BCG.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by X - Man View Post
    There is another option; look into getting a chrome bolt. It's available at Spike's Tactical. It was an affordable upgrade without the total cost of a full chrome BCG.
    The problem is if people seek the reliability of an HPT-MPI tested bolt, that doesnt work. There are some coatings out there that might be worthwhile, but I think you are working too hard for no reason.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lawrence County)

You can get any bolt magnetic particle tested at a local machine shop for less than $10. It's not a firearms specific thing. When gun companies quote a big increase in cost for MPI testing it makes my eyes bleed.

Racers have had parts MPI'd for years. Last I checked, you could get a whole rod set for a small block V8 shot peened and fluxed for under $60.........

The downside to chrome carriers and bolts is the thickness it adds (small as it may be)

Chrome chambers can have a special reamer that compensates for the thickness of the chrome. To my knowledge, I don't know of many undersize bolts and carriers that are made specifically for chrome. As a result, some can be TIGHT and I've seen some short stroke on break in unless they were run sopping wet.

Not a problem in my book where you can sit around an cycle the gun to break it in smooth, but some people expect perfection out of the box.

Lycanforewarnedisforearmedthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    You can get any bolt magnetic particle tested at a local machine shop for less than $10. It's not a firearms specific thing. When gun companies quote a big increase in cost for MPI testing it makes my eyes bleed.
    I was referring more so to the HPT end of it, I know a local guy who is willing to non destructive exam parts for next to nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast