Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Need some help w/ statisics

Hey all, Its been awhile. On tues our first daughter was born On Fri, my wife and I took her into the doctors office for her first checkup. This was our first time at this doctors office as we have recently changed health care providers. Anyway thing were going fairly well, until the doctor started quizzing us about the safety of our home and if we keep any guns in our house!

Doc: How about guns, do you have any guns in your house?
    Me: Excuse me?
    Doc: Do you keep any guns in your house?
    Me: Yes.
    Doc: Are they kept locked up?
    Me: All my firearms are locked in cases except for the 1 I carry with me at all times
    Doc: Oh OK, "taken aback" do they all have trigger locks on them?
    Me: they are all locked in cases separate from there ammunition.
    Doc: You know you can get those trigger locks for free.

He continued to ramble on about even if you have taught you kids firearm safety there friends may not have been bla bla, I left him go for awhile then asked him

ME: Sir what does this have to do with the health of my newborn?
    Doc: well you want them to be safe dont you? Thats my job the safety of your children, you know gunshot wounds are the #1 cause of child related fatalities.
    At this point I am pissed and without the stats infront of me I let it go. But after we left the office I started to think
    #1 That statistic cant be right!
    #2 The safety of my children is first my job! Then his.

After a little Google work it appears he is wrong. From what I can tell the leading cause of child fatalities is drowning. With firearm related injuries being down the list aways below burning and trauma from falls. Wich leads me to believe that the question is politically motivated! The Doc never asked me if I have a fence around my pool!!??? OR if my kids wear helmets when they ride there bikes!!!??? Wich leads me to needing your help. I need a consice Study witch shows what I found, That I can print out and take to the doctors office and talk to them about changing their Questionare. So far I havent been able to find exactly what im looking for. If anybody finds something and could post the link it would be greatly apreceated.

Also, I really didnt like him recording my awnsers to the questions in the medical file. Do I have any recourse as to getting that information deleted from the records?
    Its Not that I take he safety of my children lightly its just none of his business!
    I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Need some help w/ statisics

I'm confused why you even answered him.

Should have turned the question back around on him.

Doctor, do you keep any guns in your home?
    Do you and your wife engage in anything other than missionary during love making
    Have you even taken any drugs?
    Are you in debt?
    What types of investments are in your portfolio?
    Are you upside down on your house?
    What is your 5, 15 and 50 year investment strategy?
    Are you registered as a Rep or Dem, etc?
    Who did you vote for?
    How do you feel about gay marriage?
    Can I pull a credit report on you and a carfax on your vehicle?

I mean, doc... I just need to know who I'm placing my childrens care in the hands of (take notes on your own piece of paper)

(Butler County)

I assume he asked if he could record you?

(Philadelphia County)

The guns and tobacco interrogation is something that doctors started a couple of years ago. It is ridiculous, and I am sure, some way for the insurance companies and/or AMA to press their agendas and to raise more money.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger402 View Post
    <snip>

After a little Google work it appears he is wrong. From what I can tell the leading cause of child fatalities is drowning. With firearm related injuries being down the list aways below burning and trauma from falls. Wich leads me to believe that the question is politically motivated! The Doc never asked me if I have a fence around my pool!!??? OR if my kids wear helmets when they ride there bikes!!!??? Wich leads me to needing your help. I need a consice Study witch shows what I found, That I can print out and take to the doctors office and talk to them about changing their Questionare. So far I havent been able to find exactly what im looking for. If anybody finds something and could post the link it would be greatly apreceated.

Also, I really didnt like him recording my awnsers to the questions in the medical file. Do I have any recourse as to getting that information deleted from the records?
    Its Not that I take he safety of my children lightly its just none of his business!
    Yes, drowning is the number one killer and has been for some time. Next time you see him, show him the stats and tell him you don't appreciate the BS.

They started asking about guns some years ago (my youngest is 27!). It's incredible the questions they ask. I finally told my doctor that my private life was none of his business unless/until it affected my daughter(s)' health.

Keep in mind, you can 'shop' around for doctors. And when you do, ask THEM all the questions you want and establish the ground-rules early. They do tend to take advantage of first-time parents and treat you like you're an idiot.

My suggestion: ask around and see if there is a pediatrician or internist (who will see children) who is also a gun owner. At the very least, educate yourself about infant/child health issues and go into an interview with a new doctor armed with questions to ask and parameters to establish. You need to be able to trust your child's doctor, and there are many good doctors who will not interfere in your business.

J...

(Philadelphia County)

CONGRATULATIONS! You now have a daughter; little girls adore their daddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger402 View Post
    Hey all, Its been awhile. On tues our first daughter was born <snip>

(Northampton County)

Congrats on the newborn!

According to a JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association) article from 2001, doctors are the third leading cause of death in the US. This is from a peer reviewed article by Dr. Barbara Starfield.

ALL THESE ARE DEATHS PER YEAR:

a. 12,000 -----unnecessary surgery 8
    b. 7,000 -----medication errors in hospitals 9

c. 20,000 ----other errors in hospitals 10

d. 80,000 ----infections in hospitals 10

e. 106,000 ---non-error, negative effects of drugs 2

It is estimated that sloppy physician handwriting causes 7,000 deaths per year.

When I cited these facts and the referenced article, we moved onto more appropriate subjects about my son's health. :-)

BTW - I never did answer whether I owned guns - although it was obvious that I do - or how I stored them.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Monroe County)

^ yea doc's mess up all the time-
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-buttocks.html
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Way to go! Rep to you for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    Congrats on the newborn!

According to a JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association) article from 2001, doctors are the third leading cause of death in the US. This is from a peer reviewed article by Dr. Barbara Starfield.

ALL THESE ARE DEATHS PER YEAR:

a. 12,000 -----unnecessary surgery 8
    b. 7,000 -----medication errors in hospitals 9

c. 20,000 ----other errors in hospitals 10

d. 80,000 ----infections in hospitals 10

e. 106,000 ---non-error, negative effects of drugs 2

It is estimated that sloppy physician handwriting causes 7,000 deaths per year.

When I cited these facts and the referenced article, we moved onto more appropriate subjects about my son's health. :-)

BTW - I never did answer whether I owned guns - although it was obvious that I do - or how I stored them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast