Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Question Need a little help with an M4 upper

I had made a thread earlier about getting a EO-Tech scope for my M4. The problem is that I have a fixed handle on my upper. I had looked at attachments so I could mount the scope on the handle, or even on the forward grip, but it looked tacky. Someone suggested getting a new upper... but I really don't need all that, nor do I want to spend $400 to buy the exact same thing I already have, just with a flat top. I already have the barrel, the bolt, bolt carrier etc... all I really need is a stripped upper housing with the flat top.

Then I found this on Brownells.

It looks promising. It seems all I'd have to do is swap out my current barrel, bolt and bolt carrier, then pop it on my lower and I am all set. One thing I have learned about guns though, is if it seems easy, it probably isn't.

Is there anything in that above scenario that could go wrong before I commit and buy this stripped upper?

Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need a little help with an M4 upper

WOW, I would use that as an excuse to buy a new gun...

yeah, I think all you would have to do is just swap out the upper receiver and resight everything and you should be good to go.

What you described is not a hard job by any means and I think it's the best solution for your situation. There is some information you need to be aware of however before you make the decision. You're gonna need some tools.. An AR15 armorers wrench and a torque wrench to remove and reinstall the barrel nut and an upper receiver vice block to hold everything while you do it. Thats the bare minimum. You will need some punches as well if you have the ejection port cover and forward assist to swap.

I have a no name wrench from M&A:
    http://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=781

A DPMS "Panther Claw":
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-...law%20ar15.htm

Think about this upper from Bravo Co, much cheaper than that one from brownells and it comes with the ejection port cover and forward assist installed.

Any other questions, just ask.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I had made a thread earlier about getting a EO-Tech scope for my M4. The problem is that I have a fixed handle on my upper. I had looked at attachments so I could mount the scope on the handle, or even on the forward grip, but it looked tacky. Someone suggested getting a new upper... but I really don't need all that, nor do I want to spend $400 to buy the exact same thing I already have, just with a flat top. I already have the barrel, the bolt, bolt carrier etc... all I really need is a stripped upper housing with the flat top.

Then I found this on Brownells.

It looks promising. It seems all I'd have to do is swap out my current barrel, bolt and bolt carrier, then pop it on my lower and I am all set. One thing I have learned about guns though, is if it seems easy, it probably isn't.

Is there anything in that above scenario that could go wrong before I commit and buy this stripped upper?

Thanks.
    I believe that the person in the other thread was suggesting exactly what you posted here. I believe that they also said that an upper receiver was $90 or so. I do not believe that the other person was suggesting that you buy a new complete $400 upper assembly.

Yes, an upper receiver can be swapped out to give you the flat top. Yes they are about $90. I think you'd want to get a complete upper receiver and not a stripped one like linked. A complete upper receiver has the forward assist and trap door already installed. You will need tools to do it yourself or you'll need to pay a gunsmith to take your barrel off and put it into the new upper receiver.

Here is a link to a bravo co upper - only a little over $90 for the m4 cut feed ramps. Make sure your barrel extension is m4 cut before you buy the m4 upper receiver.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper...%20-m4%202.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post

Here is a link to a bravo co upper - only a little over $90 for the m4 cut feed ramps. Make sure your barrel extension is m4 cut before you buy the m4 upper receiver.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper...%20-m4%202.htm
    To the OP, the upper guns4fun posted should ONLY be used if your barrel extension has the deep M4 cuts. Chances are it doesn't and in that case, follow the link that I provided. It is for a standard extension.

(Montgomery County)

hertz, thanks for posting that picture for him. Great idea.

While i did say in my post to make sure he had m4 cuts before he bought - showing the photo is probably a big help to him.

Sometimes (because i'm used to it) i just assume that people know the difference.

However, since he is just learning it was great that you added it.

Rep sent for passing along great / helpful info.

(Franklin County)

Yeah, I'm a noob when it comes to M4's... I bought a no frills version with then intention of fixing it up some.

While its obvious that I know what a feed ramp is, please explain a little more what I am looking at.

Edit: Mine looks like the one on the top right.
    Last edited by Pro2A; June 13th, 2010 at 07:47 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Yeah, I'm a noob when it comes to M4's... I bought a no frills version with then intention of fixing it up some.

While its obvious that I know what a feed ramp is, please explain a little more what I am looking at.

Edit: Mine looks like the one on the top right.
    You are looking to see how far the feed ramps are cut itno the barrel extensinon.

In this picture you can see how far the extension is cut for m4 and standard cuts.

(Franklin County)

I get what you are getting at now, but now that I have determined mine looks like the one on the top right, how do I go about picking the right upper?

(Montgomery County)

I get what you are getting at now, but now that I have determined mine looks like the one on the top right, how do I go about picking the right upper?

You buy the one in my link with the m4 cuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast