Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default travling with a gun...

yes I know this has been beaten to death but I need to settle my own mind so just bear with me please. Driving though maryland in a few days no way around it. The car has a trunk, in the truck i have my range bag with the hard side pistol case with the pistol in it, are 3 empty mags and 3 boxes of range ammo...is this legal? if not should I remove the pistol case and place it in another spot in the trunk?
    Last edited by cigarmanpa; June 13th, 2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling error

(Bucks County)

Default Re: travling with a gun...

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    You're good.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    yes I know this has been beaten to death but I need to settle my own mind so just bear with me please. Driving though maryland in a few days no way around it. The car has a truck, in the truck i have my range bag with the hard side pistol case with the pistol in it, are 3 empty mags and 3 boxes of range ammo...is this legal? if not should I remove the pistol case and place it in another spot in the trunk?
    I assume you meant 'trunk' instead of 'truck'?

I presume that you have a Pa LTCF and your destination for this leg of the trip is a state where you can legally possess and carry vehicularly. If so then the Federal transport laws will protect you in all intervening states between your origin state and destination state...

18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    What you describe, IMO, is compliant (using the previous presumptions above). You are protected from MD laws during the transport.

ETA: once again too slow in composing msg. Darn you mrjam2jab!
    Last edited by tl_3237; June 13th, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I assume you meant 'trunk' instead of 'truck'?

I presume that you have a Pa LTCF and your destination for this leg of the trip is a state where you can legally possess and carry vehicularly. If so then the Federal transport laws will protect you in all intervening states between your origin state and destination state...

What you describe, IMO, is compliant (using the previous presumptions above). You are protected from MD laws during the transport.

ETA: once again too slow in composing msg. Darn you mrjam2jab!
    yes I did, sorry had a typo. thanks for pointing that out i'm gona go fix that

(Franklin County)

While your plans are enough to comply with the law, I personally place my firearm in a locked box as an extra protection against a search (even though I would not consent to one). It's my understanding that a locked container requires a warrant to open, and I'm not sure if the trunk itself would qualify for that legal protection. I already have the locking boxes, so for me, it's just extra peace of mind that doesn't cost me anything or really take any extra time to use.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Butler County)

I believe your only stops in Maryland can be for gas or an emergency.

(Monroe County)

Ammunition in a separate locked container in the trunk or if no trunk away from the passenger compartment. Not to put too fine a point on it but, I recommend the gun be unloaded and locked in a separate box and if possible that box is bolted or welded to the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    I believe your only stops in Maryland can be for gas or an emergency.
    i have absolutely no plans to stop in maryland for any reason

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoguns View Post
    Ammunition in a separate locked container in the trunk or if no trunk away from the passenger compartment. Not to put too fine a point on it but, I recommend the gun be unloaded and locked in a separate box and if possible that box is bolted or welded to the vehicle.
    Not necessary per 18 ss926A...

(Monroe County)

Perhaps it is not "necessary" but I prefer to err on the side of my own personal security from over-zealous cops.

It is easier to prevent a situation from escalating into an arrest or seizure of property by being prepared for the worst, than to be forced to deal with it in court.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast