Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Morons at SGL #91

Friday was nice so I decided to head to the range. I've been doing a lot of handgun shooting at a friends range, but haven't been shooting my rifles much this year. Plus I had some 75gr .223 loads worked up that I wanted to run through my rifles.

Took my Bushmaster and Savage 12FV and headed up to the range on SGL #91. I usually make the drive out to SGL #206, but decided shooting under cover would be more comfortable.

Couple of people already there when I showed up. Set up my stuff and began shooting. Another guy showed up and the others left, so there was just two of us. About a hald hour later I hear a car pull up and three people get out, 2 makes and 1 female. In between shots I hear one of the guys say;

"Oh, those guys are shooting scoped rifles and I won't mind..............."

Never heard the rest of the sentence because the other guy sent a round down range. So while I'm shooting and checking groups through my spotting scope I can hear these latest shooters getting there gear ready. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, better pay attention to these characters.

So I'm firing 3-shot strings through my Savage when out of the corner of my eye I see the two males walking down to the 50 yard targets. No one called and all clear or mentioned they wanted to go down range. These two IDIOTS just decided to walk down range while me and the other guy were shooting. I saw the other guy, who was to my right waving his hand to get my attention and I gestured that I had seen them.

So I clear my rifle and wait. Watch them hang their targets and begin to walk back. They looked surprised that we stopped shooting. I watch them walk back and decide to say something. I get up, walk over and tell them what a bone-head stunt they just pulled. The one idiot looked like he was ready to give me some lip so before get said or did something he was going to regret I pulled my wallet out and showed him my ID. I told him that safety rules (and common sense) are in place to ensure everyone's safety. Plus the fact that they cannot go foward of the firing point anyway.

So I walked back to my gear and we continued to shoot. About 20 minnutes later two more people show up and I could hear them talking about wanting to go down closer and shoot their handguns. I pointed out to them that this is a rifle range and pointed to the sign they just walked by. I went back to shooting and in between rounds I heard them say they were going to drive down the road and walk into the woods to shoot. I was going to point out that this was also illegal, however they left before I got the chance.

The other three finally left and I asked the guy to my right, I wonder how many people they have walked down range on????

These idiots are the reason why these free, public ranges are going to get shut down one of these days.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Morons at SGL #91

I've run into boneheads like that at my local SGL range. I usually say something once and if they don't listen, I pack up and leave.

(Allegheny County)

Good on you for at least confronting them and trying to correct their behavior. It's too bad that they are just ignorant idiots, as opposed to uninformed ignorant guys willing to learn. I've had too many similar stories at an SGL range near Pittsburgh, leading me to NEVER use an SGL range again.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Friday was nice so I decided to head to the range. I've been doing a lot of handgun shooting at a friends range, but haven't been shooting my rifles much this year. Plus I had some 75gr .223 loads worked up that I wanted to run through my rifles.

Took my Bushmaster and Savage 12FV and headed up to the range on SGL #91. I usually make the drive out to SGL #206, but decided shooting under cover would be more comfortable.

Couple of people already there when I showed up. Set up my stuff and began shooting. Another guy showed up and the others left, so there was just two of us. About a hald hour later I hear a car pull up and three people get out, 2 makes and 1 female. In between shots I hear one of the guys say;

"Oh, those guys are shooting scoped rifles and I won't mind..............."

Never heard the rest of the sentence because the other guy sent a round down range. So while I'm shooting and checking groups through my spotting scope I can hear these latest shooters getting there gear ready. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, better pay attention to these characters.

So I'm firing 3-shot strings through my Savage when out of the corner of my eye I see the two males walking down to the 50 yard targets. No one called and all clear or mentioned they wanted to go down range. These two IDIOTS just decided to walk down range while me and the other guy were shooting. I saw the other guy, who was to my right waving his hand to get my attention and I gestured that I had seen them.

So I clear my rifle and wait. Watch them hang their targets and begin to walk back. They looked surprised that we stopped shooting. I watch them walk back and decide to say something. I get up, walk over and tell them what a bone-head stunt they just pulled. The one idiot looked like he was ready to give me some lip so before get said or did something he was going to regret I pulled my wallet out and showed him my ID. I told him that safety rules (and common sense) are in place to ensure everyone's safety. Plus the fact that they cannot go foward of the firing point anyway.

So I walked back to my gear and we continued to shoot. About 20 minnutes later two more people show up and I could hear them talking about wanting to go down closer and shoot their handguns. I pointed out to them that this is a rifle range and pointed to the sign they just walked by. I went back to shooting and in between rounds I heard them say they were going to drive down the road and walk into the woods to shoot. I was going to point out that this was also illegal, however they left before I got the chance.

The other three finally left and I asked the guy to my right, I wonder how many people they have walked down range on????

These idiots are the reason why these free, public ranges are going to get shut down one of these days.
    Indeed. Stupid people always ruin it for the rest of us. I can see someone getting shot on a public range someday and suing the state for injuries even though they were the idiot that walked out onto the range. Or even worse, they get shot and die, and the shooter (who was just minding his or her own business) gets charged with manslaughter for shooting someone who was dumb enough to walk onto the range.

People need to understand that firearms are not toys (although they cetainly feel like they are ), and act accordingly. They can be a lot of fun if enjoyed responsibly.

BTW, is it illegal period to shoot pistols on the public rifle ranges, or is it okay as long as you stay where you're supposed to (with the only disadvantage being the long distance one has to shoot)?

(Jefferson County)

This is why I only shoot at my sportsmans club range or at two of the family farms.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    This is why I only shoot at my sportsmans club range or at two of the family farms.
    Exactly, I will never shoot at a state gamelands range, I'd rather pay the money to be safe.

(Lackawanna County)

I'd like to find out who the dumbasses are who go to the SGL in Archbald and shoot in the pistol section with shotguns, ruining the backstops.

(Luzerne County)

There is nothing that I have ever read that says you can't, so can shoot pistols, but the regs say you have to shoot from the firing points, which in this case means from the 50 yard line.

I shoot my handgun, a scoped Ruger Super Redhawk at the rifle ranges. But I am shooting from the firing points, not walking down range.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    There is nothing that I have ever read that says you can't, so can shoot pistols, but the regs say you have to shoot from the firing points, which in this case means from the 50 yard line.

I shoot my handgun, a scoped Ruger Super Redhawk at the rifle ranges. But I am shooting from the firing points, not walking down range.
    Thats because you have common sense. When I use to go to those ranges, I have had idiots actually shot at the handgun ranges yot still want to be 2 ft from the target. They thing they own the ranges and you have to wait for them to finish. Many times I wanted to lay a few rounds above their heads.