Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default 2 Questions: 1. Holster 2. Trigger

My first question Is it bad to leave a gun in a leather holster all the time. Only time I remove it is when I have been wearing all day and sweat If the holster seems damp other wise it stays in.

Second question which may seem stupid is I have a Kel Tec PF9 and (dont know if this the wright term but) the trigger is always loaded after shooting the trigger is ready to fire even if there is no load in it. I for the most part do not carry hot only do when I feel I may need to. So when I draw I practice racking the slide to chamber a round. When done at the range should i dry fire to release pressure of the trigger and springs.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 2 Questions: 1. Holster 2. Trigger

Weapons made of steel and other corrosion prone materials should not be stored in leather holsters. Leather is great for a holster, bad for storage. Leather can trap in moisture and dirt that can erode the finish and help the oxidation (rusting) process.

As to your question about carrying with the chamber empty and the springs "cocked" we have to back up a bit. Carrying with an empty chamber is a great way to get dead. Go take some classes, it is clear that you have no formal training. If you think you are going to need a weapon you should not go to wherever that is and if you must go, taking a Kel-Tec pistol is a bad choice. My point being, no one knows when they will have to use their sidearm for defense. Why not keep yours ready all of the time. You may only have one hand to use in such an extreme circumstance (see: dog bite crushing the radius and ulna in your left arm, knife armed attacked turning your arms into lunch meat, laying on the ground on top of your left arm etcetera.) Your pistol, when it has an empty chamber is a fine paper weight or prop for myspace pictures. When the chamber is loaded, as it was designed to be carried, it is an effective weapon for defense.

Read the manual, it will most likely say that it is fine to keep the springs in the "cocked" position. If the manual does not state a position on it, I would guess that it is fine to do. These pistols were designed to be carried with a round in the chamber and the springs "cocked" for indefinite periods of time. Us it for what it was designed for and it will work fine.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    If you think you are going to need a weapon you should not go to wherever that is and if you must go, taking a Kel-Tec pistol is a bad choice.
    I do agree that carrying a gun with an empty chamber is not a good idea but I would disagree that a Kel Tec is a bad choice of weapon.

I have fired thousands of rounds through my Kel Tec P-11 and have NEVER had a failure. I have done the same with my Ruger P89, Ruger SP-101 and my EAA Witness-P Compact and have had more failures with the P-89 and the Witness then with my Kel Tec. The Witness being the worst of the group.

For the OP, take some courses and become so familiar with your firearm of choice that you can operate, disassemble and reassemble blindfolded. Shooting it accurately needs to be accomplished from muscle training and hand eye automatic coordination. There will be no time to think when you need your firearm. Focus on the center of mass of your target and the rest should become reflex.

(Northampton County)

I love my Kel Tec and never had any Issues fires every time and never had an issue I trust 100%. As for training never took classes but go to the range and practice atleast once a week and I know my gun very well.

(Venango County)

If you are worried about dry firing your pistol, you should invest in a snap cap. It is just a dummy round, with a soft primer supported by a spring. That way you can load up the snap, pull the trigger, and release tension.

At that rate, I don't know what would happen if I tossed one of my spares in an envelope and sent it to you. Shouldn't have any trouble, let me know if you want it.

PF9 is 9mm, right?

(Northampton County)

I thought of the snap caps but the I would have to rack the slide back to remove the cap and would be back to where I started. Where did you get your caps could not find the at any of the local shops. And i have thought about carrying hot and maybe i will start all the time.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by cj11 View Post
    I thought of the snap caps but the I would have to rack the slide back to remove the cap and would be back to where I started. Where did you get your caps could not find the at any of the local shops. And i have thought about carrying hot and maybe i will start all the time.
    I got them at a local store "Mauers". Just leave the snap in until you want to load it. I used them in my nine up until I started carrying it. Then I started just using a live round, and leaving tension on it. Now, I do the same thing with my .40. I unload and cycle out ammo after every months group shoot.

(Cumberland County)

What Steve said about leather is correct, especially with the finish on your PF9. I'm not knocking it, I had one at one point, and the blued steel was very prone to rust. Shit happens to carry guns. The XD I'm carrying most of the time is getting beat the hell up. It bothered me for a minute, but I'm over it.

A good solution if you're not carrying the gun or don't need it close at hand is a BoreStore or similar product. Have you seen the silicone gun rags? Basically the same idea, but it's a sock you put your pistol in. I got the Bass Pro Shop version for like 7 bucks. A good investment, especially for a PF9 with a blued slide. Also, if you store the gun in a safe or where ever for longer than a day you should look into a dessicant of some sort. It will absorb moisture and keep it away from your gun.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lehigh County)

I second Steve in NE's post.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the PF9 to be DAO - there isno way to relax the springs. It's like a revolver in that respect.

Cheers!
    govmule84

(Monroe County)

you're right...It's DAO, which means that pulling the trigger cocks and fires it, (for lack of a better term). No reason to do anything.

Dry firing wont hurt it anyway, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast