Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Does anyone brew their own beer?

If you do or have done it, what were your experiences so far like? Approximately what are the startup costs? How stinky does it get? too stinky for the living room? My apartment has very little space but I love beer passionately and would love to try to make my own IPA.

Default Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

Quote Originally Posted by righteousbarbarian View Post
    If you do or have done it, what were your experiences so far like? Approximately what are the startup costs? How stinky does it get? too stinky for the living room? My apartment has very little space but I love beer passionately and would love to try to make my own IPA.
    good thread, I too am thinking of trying my own brew. doesnt seem to to hard as long as you get the right equipment

(Lawrence County)

I wanted to.... until Wasz's brother shamed me with his brew and now I need an apprenticeship.

Lycanfearofsuckybeerthrope

But......if anyone does it, a detailed description and recommendation of a starter kit would be MUCH appreciated.
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; October 8th, 2007 at 11:17 PM.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

Hold on I'm going to get my brother.

(Westmoreland County)

Hello, I'm Wasz's brother. Starting brewing is fun easy and pretty cheap. Rough start up cost is about $100-$150. You need a bucket that holds a little over 5 gallons, a stock pot that can boil 4 gallons, some siphon hose, an airlock,usually a hydrometer (to figure out the amount of booze in the beer), and a carboy (5 gallon glass jug). Thats for an extract brew which is best for beginners and most kits you find are extract. You just boil the ingredients for an hour, cool them down, put in the yeast let it ferment, clear, age, then bottle it. It does tend to stink when you're boiling it but not really after that.
    To get the stuff you can find it all online. The sites I've used, and like are: Morebeer.com and Midwestsupplies.com. Any other questions feel free to pm me. Also I am willing to trade beer and apprenticeship for gun knowledge and various shooting supplies.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    Hello, I'm Wasz's brother. Starting brewing is fun easy and pretty cheap. Rough start up cost is about $100-$150. You need a bucket that holds a little over 5 gallons, a stock pot that can boil 4 gallons, some siphon hose, an airlock,usually a hydrometer (to figure out the amount of booze in the beer), and a carboy (5 gallon glass jug). Thats for an extract brew which is best for beginners and most kits you find are extract. You just boil the ingredients for an hour, cool them down, put in the yeast let it ferment, clear, age, then bottle it. It does tend to stink when you're boiling it but not really after that.
    To get the stuff you can find it all online. The sites I've used, and like are: Morebeer.com and Midwestsupplies.com. Any other questions feel free to pm me. Also I am willing to trade beer and apprenticeship for gun knowledge and various shooting supplies.
    thanks for your input! its much appreciated.

+Juan

I am just a beginner when it comes to guns so I don't know how much I could teach you but I have a few guns so perhaps we can go shooting sometime. Do you have any guns yet?
    Last edited by righteousbarbarian; October 8th, 2007 at 11:51 PM.

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: Does anyone brew their own beer?

I saw on tv once that there is a home-brewing contest for samuel adams or by samuel adams, anyways i checked on their site and found this link, it should help:
    http://www.beer-wine.com/category_pa...=1&sectionID=1

tell us how you like your brew if you decide on venturing

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by righteousbarbarian View Post
    thanks for your input! its much appreciated.

+Juan

I am just a beginner when it comes to guns so I don't know how much I could teach you but I have a few guns so perhaps we can go shooting sometime. Do you have any guns yet?
    I actually only own one gun... for now. Its a S&W 686

(Cumberland County)

hey guys, I brew my own beer and it turns out fantastic.

If any of you are in my area there is a brew club in Lemoyne, one in York also which would be worth checking out.

You can start out for very, very little money. Depending what you have at home for pots and stuff you might only spend $30-$40 for the first batch (5 gallons) and get a product that is good.

I'm brewing all grain now, the same as the brewereys, and I've spent around $200, of coarse I built most of my equipment myself.

If you like micro brew I'd say give it a try. If you like Bud light, don't waste you time.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    I agree with beerbaron but I feel you can do it even cheaper. I don't think you need the carboy or a big pot. Something that will hold 3 gallons is probably enough. I also would not bother with a hydrometer since you will be using extract and the sugars are known.

I would buy a ingredient kit from morebeer.com to start, then get a basic brewing kit from midwest if you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast