Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dear Abby today

(Schuylkill County)

Default Dear Abby today

This "Dear Abby" letter caught my eye in the newspaper today.
    http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/

PISTOL-PACKING PARISHIONER CAUSES UNEASE IN THE FLOCK

DEAR ABBY: My parents told me that a member of their congregation carries a licensed gun when he's in church. He is not a law enforcement officer or a private security guard, but keeps the gun on him "for protection." When I asked what the pastor has to say about this, I was told, "He doesn't know or can't do anything about it."

I suggested that Mom and Dad speak to the congregation board of directors because they are legally and financially responsible for the church. They refused even though they are not happy about this gun issue.

My parents have a long history of complaining about things but doing nothing to resolve them. I feel that if someone needs to carry a gun at all times, I don't want to be in his presence. If he's the target of an assassination, the killer might shoot the wrong person. I will not set foot in the church as long as that man is there.

I'm not sure what bothers me more -- that this man is packing heat or that my parents have valid concerns and won't speak out. What do you think? -- GUN-SHY IN N.Y.C.

DEAR GUN-SHY: If the man has a license to carry the gun, then he is breaking no laws. You are certainly within your rights to refrain from being in his presence. If your parents were really concerned about their safety, they would either talk to the pastor or go somewhere else to worship. Because they have done neither, I think you should let it go.
    Looks like Abby is a gun rights supporter.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Dear Abby today

I'd say she at least has common sense, which isn't so common anymore
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Monroe County)

Seems more like Dear Abby has a handle on reality than necessarily being a gun rights supporter, although the two are not mutually exclusive. Kudos.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Strange that the writer of the letter signed that they are from N.Y.C.

If the church also is there, it doesn't seem likely the guy is legally carrying...unless he is a cop and the writer does not know that.

Also strange that the writer used the term "packing heat".

Maybe it's not a legitimate letter???

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    PISTOL-PACKING PARISHIONER CAUSES UNEASE IN THE FLOCK

DEAR ABBY: My parents told me that a member of their congregation carries a licensed gun when he's in church. He is not a law enforcement officer or a private security guard, but keeps the gun on him "for protection." When I asked what the pastor has to say about this, I was told, "He doesn't know or can't do anything about it."

I suggested that Mom and Dad speak to the congregation board of directors because they are legally and financially responsible for the church. They refused even though they are not happy about this gun issue.

My parents have a long history of complaining about things but doing nothing to resolve them. I feel that if someone needs to carry a gun at all times, I don't want to be in his presence. If he's the target of an assassination, the killer might shoot the wrong person. I will not set foot in the church as long as that man is there.

I'm not sure what bothers me more -- that this man is packing heat or that my parents have valid concerns and won't speak out. What do you think? -- GUN-SHY IN N.Y.C.

DEAR GUN-SHY: If the man has a license to carry the gun, then he is breaking no laws. You are certainly within your rights to refrain from being in his presence. If your parents were really concerned about their safety, they would either talk to the pastor or go somewhere else to worship. Because they have done neither, I think you should let it go.

Looks like Abby is a gun rights supporter.
    Bold is mine. I wonder who that guy that carries is. must be special to carry in NYC!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthor View Post
    Bold is mine. I wonder who that guy that carries is. must be special to carry in NYC!

Or it could be that she sees it when she visits her parents in PA...just a thought.

But a pretty good response overall.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

Nothing like some good old fashioned common sense from a good old fashioned lady (is she really still alive?)

Kudos to her, or whomever wrote the response

(Bucks County)

Common sense....she didn't want to get flamed !!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Common sense....she didn't want to get flamed !!
    maybe she was afraid that if she started debating CC vs OC the AP would close her column

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    maybe she was afraid that if she started debating CC vs OC the AP would close her column
    Shocked AP didn't "edit" it.....or maybe they did.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast