Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default KIMBER SELF REFINISHED

I carried this SIS for the last 2 years & it was scratched & banged up pretty well so I decided to refinish it. I'm happy for doing it with material's on hand. The pic doesn't do it justice it really look's like chrome,,,Much sanding & polishing. My finger's are sore...LOL
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 8th, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: KIMBER SELF REFINISHED

Do tell what you did and how. The sights are not up to my standards, as shiny sights are far harder to use then dull matte sights in my experience.

So... exactly what did you do?
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Do tell what you did and how. The sights are not up to my standards, as shiny sights are far harder to use then dull matte sights in my experience.

So... exactly what did you do?
    I started with 120 grit sand paper to remove the old finish. Done this several times till I got all the old finish out of the pores. Then several times with 400 grit & finished up with 1000 grit & polished with mother's with a dremmel. Just be sure to do your sanding all in the same direction. It's time consuming but it look's very nice when complete. Also scuffed & re-cleared the grip's. All far as the sight's I shoot with both eye's open like using a red dot so I don't concrentrate on visualizing the sights, they are just for a reference. This allways seem to come natural to me, I have taught other's to do so. Once to get use to it your sighting is a lot quicker, less eye strain & for quick sighting defense more accurate & more aware of other target's around you.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 8th, 2010 at 06:22 PM.

(Monroe County)

So you took off all the old finish and polished the metal but did you refinish the metal or is it stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningBoy View Post
    So you took off all the old finish and polished the metal but did you refinish the metal or is it stainless?
    Yes it was stainless so it was just a matter of sanding & polishing. A lot...LOL
    But it's really rather simple just time consuming.

When I first saw this thread I said to myself "there's nothing better than an original Kimber" but then I looked at the pics and I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    When I first saw this thread I said to myself "there's nothing better than an original Kimber" but then I looked at the pics and I like it!
    I'll second this. I am generally not a fan of the SIS slide serrations, I thought it looked too busy (for lack of a better word for it). But with this two-tone effect....wow. Simply beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by jokusfocus View Post
    I'll second this. I am generally not a fan of the SIS slide serrations, I thought it looked too busy (for lack of a better word for it). But with this two-tone effect....wow. Simply beautiful.
    Also..SigFourty & Dc Dalton..Thank you very much. I was very happy with the outcome but I had no idea how it would be accepted by other's. You three have made my day. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I worked very hard on it and now feel it was worth while, even though i liked it. It does give you satisfaction when other's do also.

(Clinton County)

I Just bought a SIS custom about a month ago. I showed my wife the picture of your SIS. She said " Now you are going to bang yours around so you can do that to" She said it with a smile. She really like it as did I.

I do not know if I would have the patience. Rep sent.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    I Just bought a SIS custom about a month ago. I showed my wife the picture of your SIS. She said " Now you are going to bang yours around so you can do that to" She said it with a smile. She really like it as did I.

I do not know if I would have the patience. Rep sent.
    It's doesn't take really that long, I did mine over a three day period for that reason ...lack of patience..big time. If you decide to I'll be glad to give you some pointers & any help I can. Mainly just sand it in the same direction, when you start with the course paper it looks scarey but each finer paper stroke it looks better & bettter. You really can't mess it up so you need not worry about that. I don't know if you've read the history on the SIS but it's very interesting. Being designed for & with the help of the LAPD it got a lot of special attention. I have a Wilson & Nighthawk each around $3000 eh. neither are a better pistol. Any weapon designed for the law or military has to be Top Notch & the SIS is no acception. Most rag on the serration's but that's part of the attraction for me cause it doesn't look like all the others. I prefer having something different looking & I think they are very attractive pistol's & worth more than they are priced. You can allway's spend more money but will not get a better pistol A1 is even an understatement & I've been a 1911 fan for 30 years & will bet & stack it against any in quality, dependability & accuracy. You'll never reegret purchasing it, you can't make it shoot bad or better!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast