Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default I'm in "Most Pistol for the Money" Mode: Bought a Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP

I have a couple SIG-Sauer pistols, a Glock 19, and a CZ-75B. Certainly, IMO, the Glock and CZ fall into that category. But, I thought, "It's easy to find a good pistol that goes for near $1,000 (or far more), but it's a more interesting challenge to get something great for as little cash as possible". So, with that in mind, I picked up a Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP, this past weekend. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow night, to see if it's as good as most reviews seem to indicate. For now, there's only these pics. More info to follow after I shoot it.

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Bucks County)

Default Re: I'm in "Most Pistol for the Money" Mode: Bought a Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP

Didn't know they came in .45.

I got one in 9mm as my first semiauto handgun. I wanted something with a full manual of arms (thumb safety, decocker, exposed hammer, SA/DA) for my first pistol.

I like it. It's not super accurate, as far as I can tell, and not a joy to carry, but it's a nice nightstand weapon. The biggest letdown is that it doesn't have an accessory rail.

I like it, but I kind of wish I had saved myself about $80 and gotten a Ruger P95, which includes a rail and comes with a mag loader (no big deal).
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: I'm in "Most Pistol for the Money" Mode: Bought a Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP

I've considered one for a long time. Never thought about .45 though. What's the capacity? I just find something about them visually pleasing. If I may ask, how much did you pay for it? I'm a big fan of anything that get me lots of bang for my buck.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the .45. I've got the Cougar in 9mm and couldn't be happier so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I've considered one for a long time. Never thought about .45 though. What's the capacity? I just find something about them visually pleasing. If I may ask, how much did you pay for it? I'm a big fan of anything that get me lots of bang for my buck.
    Single stack 8 round mag. I picked mine up for $449, though I've heard that some folks have found them for as low as $419. And yes, like you, I also find it visually appealing, and it feels good in the hand. Not sure why they chose to put the accessory rail only on the .45 version, but, it's a nice feature.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

I have seen Sig P220's in the area used go for 500-550 USD in good condition. When it comes to bang for the buck, used is always the way to go, if you know how to inspect a pistol/revolver.

The Cougar is not a bad piece. However, for those out there that are also shopping check the used items as well you can find real gems.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Delaware County)

don't forget to check out STI

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/guns.php
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I have seen Sig P220's in the area used go for 500-550 USD in good condition. When it comes to bang for the buck, used is always the way to go, if you know how to inspect a pistol/revolver.

The Cougar is not a bad piece. However, for those out there that are also shopping check the used items as well you can find real gems.
    Agreed. In fact, I will probably never buy another new firearm. I was in a "hurry" to get my first one, but now that my appetite is temporarily sated, I have the luxury of waiting around to capitalize on other people's misfortune by buying their used firearms that they no longer want/need/can afford to keep.

Case in point: I got a XD9sc used, in perfect condition, for less than I paid for my brand new Stoeger, and there's no doubt in my mind that it's a better gun.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    don't forget to check out STI

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/guns.php
    Expensive.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    Expensive.
    not all of their guns are expensive...they're damn excellent pistols, too.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast