Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default susquehanna county

I just moved to thompson in susquehanna county.Does anyone know if I can discharge firearms on my property for target practice and hunting.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: susquehanna county

Quote Originally Posted by jesterking View Post
    I just moved to thompson in susquehanna county.Does anyone know if I can discharge firearms on my property for target practice and hunting.
    Welcome to both Susquehanna County and PAFOA!

I am not entirely sure where Thompson is but, check with your township supervisors, they should be able to answer your questions.

(Susquehanna County)

Talking Re: susquehanna county

That is a big NO. Two and a half years late on the answer, but hey. My mother lives in Thompson and we had a visit from the state police after a little 22 target practice. Cop said it was a safe range but local ordinance says no. You can still live in Thompson and shoot, just not if your property is in the boro. God knows I have thrown a lot of lead on the outskirts of town.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mahteen View Post
    That is a big NO. Two and a half years late on the answer, but hey. My mother lives in Thompson and we had a visit from the state police after a little 22 target practice. Cop said it was a safe range but local ordinance says no. You can still live in Thompson and shoot, just not if your property is in the boro. God knows I have thrown a lot of lead on the outskirts of town.

How long ago was did this happen and how big is the Boro?

The reason I ask is a friend of mine owns 240 acres in Thompson and we used to shot there quite often. His property is on the East side of rt171 (South) a few miles out of town. Plus I have a friend in Susquehanna and we has gone shooting in a number of areas with out any problems.

(Susquehanna County)

This lust happened last year. As far as the law, I don't know how long it has been in place, but it is only for within the boro limits. Pretty much anywhere south on 171 from the old gas station and garage out is open to shoot.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mahteen View Post
    This just happened last year. As far as the law, I don't know how long it has been in place, but it is only for within the boro limits. Pretty much anywhere south on 171 from the old gas station and garage out is open to shoot.

The old gas station, is that the old Curtis Sunoco station?

My buddys place is a few miles south down RT171, you make the first left onto a dirt road I think it had a sign SR162 or something like that, and that road cuts through his land.

(Susquehanna County)

OK, first dirt road, if you made a right instead of a left, my brother lives a half mile out from there. It is pretty safe to shoot out there, it's almost Ararat Twp.

(Susquehanna County)

Hey kramer my house is right by that dirt road,i hear them all the time.

(Monroe County)

I just checked on mapquest and its RT663. It has been a bit since I was on the property and if I had the time I would have come up for turkey hunting.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    The old gas station, is that the old Curtis Sunoco station?

My buddys place is a few miles south down RT171, you make the first left onto a dirt road I think it had a sign SR162 or something like that, and that road cuts through his land.
    I wouldn't worry so much about shooting in that area. I have shot thousands of rounds off in that area. Not in town of course but close to it. Never any issues.

I now live in Kingsley which is Harford Township. When I say in Kingsley I mean dead center Kingsley. I shoot here in the middle of town all the time. Black Powder and 9mm. A buddy comes over and shoots his 410 and 22LR.
    Its kinda funny really. We go out shooting and then you hear gun shots all over the area. Its like we start a wave of gun fire. Never had any problems. Guessing it depends alot on who you have living around you. If they complain or not. Here everyone seems to be gun friendly. We have no local police besides the slow to respond state police. And believe it or not there are quite a few things that happen in Kingsley that go un-noticed. Small drug deals in the local parking lots, full donuts in the streets, slow moving cars with light turned off. Yes witnessed this last night. Theft happen alot. Lost a few tow chains and a chain saw to it. Seems to me more and more people are becomming armed here. And I am sure most that live in Susquehanna County know where kingsley is.

Another reason I like to carry here in the area is the recent citings of mountain lions. Yes mountain lions. Not bob cat. My dad caught then on game cam in Brackney miles away so the game commission can no longer state there are non here. I seen tracks during winter time that were 8 or so inches across. Plus people have seen the cats about 1/10th of a mile from where I live. The woods I have out back of my house have no animals besides porky-pine. No small game have been seen in almost 3 years. Tells me something is killing them. Plus there are a few caves I have yet to explorer up on the hill from me. Taking a hunting party up there here in a month or so to try to locate the cats. We have kids that play outside daily and what happens when these cats run out of food? Large cliff area above us. So we want to know where these cats are living. Gotta get some game cams up there and try to trap or bait them.

But that is a big reason I carry. Never know where they are gonna be.

Firing in town. Not a problem here. As of yet anyways. Do not think there ever will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast