Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Question Would I "qualify" to get a CCW?

Technically, I'm still a California state resident because I still have a California driver's license. However, my husband is an Active Duty Marine stationed here in Johnstown and the Marine Corps "ordered" me to move as well...When I say that, I mean that I'm on his Active Orders while he's stationed here; but due to Federal Law, I'm not required to change my driver's license to Pennsylvania because I have a Gov't ID Card....So because of that technicallity...Do you know if I'd be able to get my Concealed Carry license?
    Semper Gumby,
    Kimberly

Shoot Like A Girl.....If You Can!

Default Re: Would I "qualify" to get a CCW?

to get a non resident PA permit you need a ltcf in your home state, unlss your state denies your right.. but i believe cali does have ccw just next to impossible to get so if you dont have one in cali then no...

but, if you get say a fl, or utah non resident permit you could carry in PA because we have reciprocity with them

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    to get a non resident PA permit you need a ltcf in your home state, unlss your state denies your right.. but i believe cali does have ccw just next to impossible to get so if you dont have one in cali then no...

but, if you get say a fl, or utah non resident permit you could carry in PA because we have reciprocity with them
    since your living in Pa. you have address and have been living in the state more than a few months your well within your rights to get a Pennsylvania ID card. You could then use it to apply for your CCW permit since it will show you a resident.

the best awnser would come from the sheriff that issues for your county. have you called there office yet you may just be able to use your military ID

(Cambria County)

I have asked my local PD (Richland) and they looked at me like I just asked them how to solve a quadratic equation.

I've lived here since 2005, I know I have every right to get a PA license, however, I really don't want to turn in my CA license.

You think if I showed them proof of "residency" since 2005, my drivers license (for background check) with my military ID card and my husband's orders I might be able to get one?
    Semper Gumby,
    Kimberly

Shoot Like A Girl.....If You Can!

(Lebanon County)

Stop over and find out. I am sure they will provide you with any information needed. When I got my LTCF at the Lebanon county sheriff's office they were very friendly and efficient. Was in and out in 10 minutes.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by FubijamsWife View Post
    I have asked my local PD (Richland) and they looked at me like I just asked them how to solve a quadratic equation.

I've lived here since 2005, I know I have every right to get a PA license, however, I really don't want to turn in my CA license.

You think if I showed them proof of "residency" since 2005, my drivers license (for background check) with my military ID card and my husband's orders I might be able to get one?
    the local PD has nothing to do with them

call your sheriff

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by FubijamsWife View Post
    Technically, I'm still a California state resident because I still have a California driver's license.
    From the Cambria County Web Site:

NON-RESIDENTS - A thorough and complete background investigation for a non-resident can only be completed if the non-resident currently possess a License To Carry Firearms in his/her state of residency, and meet one of the following requirements:
    A former resident of Cambria County (actual dates required).
    A recipient of a current non-resident hunting licensed issued by Cambria County(photocopy of current hunting license is required).
    A regular visitor of Cambria County (name, address, and visitation dates required).
    If you met one of the above listed requirements,an application for a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms will be sent to you. Your application will then be processed , and the proper investigation will be conducted.

If you do not meet any of the above listed requirements, it would not be feasible for the Sheriff's office to conduct a complete and thorough investigation as required by law; therefore we can not furnish you with an Application for a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms from Cambria County.
    I'd change the wording of your statement on your residence status. I'd say that you are PA resident but you are not required to get a PA drivers license due to federal law. Are you receiving mail here? Are you paying bills/utilities here? Are you paying rent here? If you answered yes to those questions, I'd say you are a resident.

But perhaps someone else has better clarification regarding what it takes to obtain "resident status" here in PA?

If a friend of mine who is a legal alien from Germany can get a PA LTCF, you damn well should be able to.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Penguini66 View Post
    From the Cambria County Web Site:

I'd change the wording of your statement on your residence status. I'd say that you are PA resident but you are not required to get a PA drivers license due to federal law. Are you receiving mail here? Are you paying bills/utilities here? Are you paying rent here? If you answered yes to those questions, I'd say you are a resident.

But perhaps someone else has better clarification regarding what it takes to obtain "resident status" here in PA?

If a friend of mine who is a legal alien from Germany can get a PA LTCF, you damn well should be able to.
    § 95.2. Residence requirements.
    (a) Resident defined. A resident is a person who resides, and who has manifested the intent to continue to reside in this Commonwealth or a former resident of this Commonwealth who meets the criteria in paragraph (2)(i) or (ii).

(1) Evidence of intent to continue to reside in this Commonwealth includes the following:

(i) Rent, lease or purchase of a property which the applicant has made a primary residence in this Commonwealth.

(ii) Payment of State and local taxes.

(iii) Registration of personal property, such as bank accounts, stocks, and bonds and automobiles within this Commonwealth.

(iv) Possession of a current Pennsylvania driver’s license.

(v) Current registration to vote in this Commonwealth.

(2) Former residents of this Commonwealth who relocated out-of-State for academic or employment purposes, shall establish Pennsylvania residency within 6 months of beginning employment in the classified service and shall have done one of the following:

(i) Graduated from a public, private or nonpublic secondary school in this Commonwealth within 5 years of applying for a position in the classified service.

(ii) Attended a public, private or nonpublic school in this Commonwealth at least 80% of the time while enrolled in grades one through twelve and attended the school within 5 years of applying for a position in the classified service.

(b) Application. Application requirements are as follows:

(1) Persons appointed, promoted or reinstated to positions in the classified service shall be legal residents of this Commonwealth, unless residency has been waived. The provisions in this paragraph do not apply to persons who previously held regular civil service status and are returned to employment from an approved leave of absence without pay or through mandatory reemployment or contractual recall or placement rights.

(2) The Director, upon submission by an appointing authority of satisfactory justification, may limit certification for appointment or promotion to eligibles who are residents of a county or other administrative district. The limitations will not be imposed for a class for which residence in this Commonwealth has been waived.

(3) In the absence of, or upon exhaustion of, a county or other administrative district list, the Director may certify residents of contiguous counties or districts or of the entire Commonwealth as deemed appropriate by the Director.

(4) If an eligible changes residence from one district or county to another district or county of this Commonwealth, the Director may, upon request, transfer the person’s eligibility to the other existing promotion or employment list.

(c) Waiver. When it appears that there is an inadequate supply of well qualified residents of this Commonwealth available for a particular occupation, the Director, upon request by one or more appointing authorities, may waive the residency requirement for a position, a class or a group of classes.

Source

The provisions of this § 95.2 adopted October 18, 1961; amended October 15, 1964 and April 16, 1970; amended March 29, 1985, effective March 30, 1985, 15 Pa.B. 1151; amended November 15, 1991, effective November 16, 1991, 21 Pa.B. 5334; amended March 12, 2004, effective March 13, 2004, 34 Pa.B. 1442. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (229022) and (287671).

Notes of Decisions

A Commission decision, that an employe had not violated the provisions of subsection (a), while not binding on unemployment compensation authorities, supports a court holding, contrary to that of the Unemployment Compensation Board of Review, that the record does not support a conclusion that the employe was guilty of willful misconduct. Chew v. State Correctional Institution, 412 A.2d 206 (Pa. Cmwlth. 1980).

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/00...r95/s95.2.html

(Snyder County)

Can you get a PA ID card? Not a driver's license, but just an ID card? If you can get this, I would say apply for the PA resident LTCF.

you can only have residency in one state though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast