Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Hunting Mice Inside The Home

Damnit! I've got a mouse in my house. I'm a renter and just moved in a week ago. When cleaning the house up I found a couple mouse droppings in one of the top cabinets. There was a mouse trap under the sink, but that was where the story ended. Well, a few days ago I woke up and found some droppings on the stove, then just a few minutes ago I almost ingested a healthy dose of them. My girlfriend was wonderful enough to set the crock pot while I was at work during a 12 hour shift. I got home, had some yummy food, then went to watch some zombie related material.

I had a large wooden spoon to stir the delightful contents up, and put them into my bowl. I left the spoon on a napkin, next to the crock pot. I went back just a few minutes ago to get some more, and as I was lifting the spoon up, low and behold, mouse droppings. How fucked would that have been?

So, question is, what the hell do I do now? Should I contact the land lord and have him take care of the problem? What tools can I use to rid myself of this pest. It appears as if it is only a single mouse from the amount of droppings and the sparsity with which I've found them.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Hunting Mice Inside The Home

We always use sticky boards...they're not too humane though

Rest assured the 9mm will be sufficient for this job save the .45 for the rats.

That said we use the mouse hotel style of traps, catch them and throw it away. Sticky boards work if you set them against the wall where they run.

The other thing is a 5 gallon bucket put about 6" of water in it and tape newspaper over the top. Put peanut butter in the center and let them get used to eating it after a couple of days take a razor blade and slit a cross in the paper. They will be used to running there and will fall in the bucket and drown.

Last resort is D-Con will kill them but they always seem to die in the wall or ceiling.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Butler County)

Spring trap with peanut butter on release lever.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Damnit! I've got a mouse in my house.
    There is no such thing as just one mouse. Buy some traps. There are some pretty good ones out there that have big teeth on them, and are easy to reset. We have used the same bait in the bait well over and over again (peanut butter) as they never make it that far.

PS Our cat is a very nice pet, but she is worthless for catching the little buggers.

Smile Re: Hunting Mice Inside The Home

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Damnit! I've got a mouse in my house. I'm a renter and just moved in a week ago. When cleaning the house up I found a couple mouse droppings in one of the top cabinets. There was a mouse trap under the sink, but that was where the story ended. Well, a few days ago I woke up and found some droppings on the stove, then just a few minutes ago I almost ingested a healthy dose of them. My girlfriend was wonderful enough to set the crock pot while I was at work during a 12 hour shift. I got home, had some yummy food, then went to watch some zombie related material.

I had a large wooden spoon to stir the delightful contents up, and put them into my bowl. I left the spoon on a napkin, next to the crock pot. I went back just a few minutes ago to get some more, and as I was lifting the spoon up, low and behold, mouse droppings. How fucked would that have been?

So, question is, what the hell do I do now? Should I contact the land lord and have him take care of the problem? What tools can I use to rid myself of this pest. It appears as if it is only a single mouse from the amount of droppings and the sparsity with which I've found them.
    well, Happy Home to yous. You'll get rid of the mice. The people who probably lived there before, probably had them as pets, try moth balls, a few in the cubbords gets rid of roaches, maybe it'll work for mice. Mice traps, there messy though, the head gets caught on the eyes, and then you feel sorry for the thing because he was just trying to get a meal. Sticky pads, then you have to kill them. Cats are good catchers. If you find the secret to getting rid of them, let us know, Don't know anything else, never had them. .....Waiting to hear more mice stories. Best Wishes on your new home.................................Hey......

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    There is no such thing as just one mouse. Buy some traps. There are some pretty good ones out there that have big teeth on them, and are easy to reset. We have used the same bait in the bait well over and over again (peanut butter) as they never make it that far.

PS Our cat is a very nice pet, but she is worthless for catching the little buggers.
    3.5" 12 ga. works, too.......

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Spring trap with peanut butter on release lever.
    ^^^this!!...peanut butter never fails!

We've found that a contract with a local pest control company (they come quarterly and whenever you need them) is well worth it. Old city houses will never be pest-less unless you are continually on top of things. [sigh]

(Somerset County)

Another vote for peanut butter on a spring trap.

When I see one mouse, I figure I have at least 3. Each time I catch a mouse, I reset the trap until I don't catch any for at least 3 days. Then I figure I'm clean...for a while. Fall seems to be the worst, they're looking for warmer digs for the winter.

Dale

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast