Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: W.S. Glodzik

(Bucks County)

Default Re: W.S. Glodzik

Thanks for the info and I have a couple of questions.

Where was his shop in Reading? I was born and raised there and my Grandfather had a butcher shop at Pear & Buttonwood from the 20’s until 1971.

Did he make his stocks from scratch or just finish them? I have never seen stocks with better fit and finish. He sure was a craftsman, bless his soul. Both of the rifles I have still shoot under a 1/2 MOA after all these years.

ValGlo Guest

His shop was at 813 Chestnut St. which is south of Penn.
    My husband said some of the stocks were made from scratch, because he saw them being made. But he did not see them all being made, so does not know if all were made from scratch.

(Berks County)

Hi,

Haven't posted in quite awhile - busy!!!

My father, Walter S. Glodzik, had his first business (Southern Gun Shop) in his home at 1018 Chestnut Street in Reading, PA back in about 1948-49.

This was shortly after returning from serving in WWII from 1943-1946 as a Seabee in the US. Navy.

He sold the guns (mostly hunting rifles) from our house, but didn't have room for a shop in the small home, as the basement did not have enough room. At that time he would walk about 1/2 mile to his father Andrew's house, where there was a basement shop.

Shortly after, he bought a larger house across the street - 1015 Chestnut St. - which had a basement large enough for his shop to be located right at our house.

In the early 1960's, he relocated the business (along with his elevator business!) 2 blocks away to 813 Chestnut St.

I was born in 1959, and remember quite a few details about the business...will post again hopefully soon!!

Cathy Glodzik

PS. Thank you to all of the people on this site who have been so kind and effusive in there respect for my dad's work!!

(Berks County)

This post was emailed to me today. ( Hi Aunt Val and Cathy) Reading these posts gave me such a great sense of pride. My grandfather (Walter) was very dedicated to his gunshop and often worked 18 hour days between his 2 businesses. He took great pride in his work. I was told many stories about how precise and detail oriented his craftsmanship was. It's good to see that his craftmenship is still being admired and appreciated. Thanks so much for praising his work. Gone but never forgotten! I miss you POP!
    I would be very interested in purchasing one of his rifles, if someone has one and is considering selling it.

Misty Remp
    maicie610@yahoo.com

(Bucks County)

This is interesting.

+1 to all of you.

Hello, I know this post is quite old, however I wanted to add to it. I have a beautifully customized 1948 Winchester Model 70 with a very heavy target barrel that is signed “W.S. Glodzik”. There is also a logo stamp “W <S> G” within a circle on the barrel. The rifle is chambered in .222 Remington Magnum and mounted with a vintage steel Weaver T-16 (16x) scope. The rifle is unbelievably accurate and beautifully made. It remains in exactly the same configuration as when I purchased it in 2008 at Quinbey’s Sports Shop in Dunn, PA). The rifle is very heavy (~13.5 lbs). It is one of my absolute favorite rifles of all time. I can provide some photos if there is interest.
    Last edited by Lakota85; March 13th, 2019 at 08:45 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lakota85 View Post
    Hello, I know this post is quite old, however I wanted to add to it. I have a beautifully customized 1948 Winchester Model 70 with a very heavy target barrel that is signed “W.S. Grodzik”. There is also a logo stamp “W <S> G” within a circle on the barrel. The rifle is chambered in .222 Remington Magnum and mounted with a vintage steel Weaver T-16 (16x) scope. The rifle is unbelievably accurate and beautifully made. It remains in exactly the same configuration as when I purchased it in 2008 at Quinbey’s Sports Shop in Dunn, PA). The rifle is very heavy (~13.5 lbs). It is one of my absolute favorite rifles of all time. I can provide some photos if there is interest.
    Yes, please.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Hello, I know this post is quite old, however I wanted to add to it. I have a beautifully customized 1948 Winchester Model 70 with a very heavy target barrel that is signed “W.S. Grodzik”. There is also a logo stamp “W <S> G” within a circle on the barrel. The rifle is chambered in .222 Remington Magnum and mounted with a vintage steel Weaver T-16 (16x) scope. The rifle is unbelievably accurate and beautifully made. It remains in exactly the same configuration as when I purchased it in 2008 at Quinbey’s Sports Shop in Dunn, PA). The rifle is very heavy (~13.5 lbs). It is one of my absolute favorite rifles of all time. I can provide some photos if there is interest.
    Please do!
    Been waiting all these years to see some pictures!

Great! I am glad there is some interest. I am having some trouble uploading photos to this forum (I just joined). However, recently photos of this gun were posted to a customer gallery for a website store specializing in pre1964 Winchester Model 70 rifles. In the gallery, I am “Fred C from Newport, Va”. As you will note, I did give W.S. Glodzik credit for creating this beautiful custom rifle. This is the link to the gallery photos https://pre64win.com/pages/customer-gallery

(Montgomery County)

Great! I am glad there is some interest. I am having some trouble uploading photos to this forum (I just joined). However, recently photos of this gun were posted to a customer gallery for a website store specializing in pre1964 Winchester Model 70 rifles. In the gallery, I am “Fred C from Newport, Va”. As you will note, I did give W.S. Glodzik credit for creating this beautiful custom rifle. This is the link to the gallery photos https://pre64win.com/pages/customer-gallery
    You weren't kidding about that having a heavy barrel! Lol
    Looks like a very nice rifle!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast