Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: C&R Question

(Lycoming County)

Default C&R Question

Have a deal set up with a guy (out of state) buying a carbine from me. He told me he'd be sending me a money order with a copy of his C&R. Well then he tells me it's actually his brother-in-laws C&R.

Wouldn't that be a big no no??? Sure, it could go in his bro-in-laws book and be his problem, but still.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Perry County)

Default Re: C&R Question

Quote Originally Posted by clarion44 View Post
    Have a deal set up with a guy (out of state) buying a carbine from me. He told me he'd be sending me a money order with a copy of his C&R. Well then he tells me it's actually his brother-in-laws C&R.

Wouldn't that be a big no no??? Sure, it could go in his bro-in-laws book and be his problem, but still.
    Sounds like a no-no to me. My understanding is that the C&R license is only for personal collections only. You can't use it to buy and sell gun and you can't use it as like an FFL transfer.

Now, if the brother was purchasing the gun for his brother as a gift, I believe that is ok, but not 100% sure. I'd have to look at my documentation again.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    Sounds like a no-no to me. My understanding is that the C&R license is only for personal collections only. You can't use it to buy and sell gun and you can't use it as like an FFL transfer.

Now, if the brother was purchasing the gun for his brother as a gift, I believe that is ok, but not 100% sure. I'd have to look at my documentation again.
    Yea, if his brother bought it and gifted it, that would be ok I believe.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Juniata County)

only sell to the person who has the C&R. If he then sells or gives it away afterwards, thats his problem, not yours.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeadHead View Post
    only sell to the person who has the C&R. If he then sells or gives it away afterwards, thats his problem, not yours.
    +1

Keep it clean.

(York County)

I'd refuse the sale after someone telling me that or offer to sell it to him still but ship it to an 01FFL in his state. Don't risk your C&R and more for games like that. That essentially a straw purchase being setup by the other guys. What if the buyer is a prohibited person and his brother with the C&R is in on 'helping' his bro get a gun?

(Lycoming County)

Yea, I emailed the guy back and told him if he still wanted it, it'd have to be done at an 01 FFL.

Otherwise, I'll be posting my carbine again. Not to mention try to remember who msged me about it, so I can ask them if they are still interested in it.

Damn people.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Centre County)

Unless the carbine was classed as a C&R gun it would have to go to an 01 FFL.

From the BATFE:

Is there a specific license that permits a collector to acquire firearms in interstate commerce?
    Yes. The person may obtain a collector’s license; however, this license applies only to transactions in curio or relic firearms. The principal advantage of a collector’s license is that a licensed collector can acquire curios or relics in interstate commerce.

[27 CFR 478.41(c), (d), 478.50(b) and 478.93]
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Unless the carbine was classed as a C&R gun it would have to go to an 01 FFL.

From the BATFE:

Is there a specific license that permits a collector to acquire firearms in interstate commerce?
    Yes. The person may obtain a collector’s license; however, this license applies only to transactions in curio or relic firearms. The principal advantage of a collector’s license is that a licensed collector can acquire curios or relics in interstate commerce.

[27 CFR 478.41(c), (d), 478.50(b) and 478.93]
    I'm assuming it's this M1 Carbine he has for sale in the classified section....
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/10...1-carbine.html