Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: "Accidental" SBR?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    I want to go back a few posts, the scanned ATF letter mentioned about having a FWD pistol grip and about the 16" bbl, What does the pistol grip have to do with it? Can SBR's not have them?
    SBR's and rifles can have a fwd pistol grip. A pistol can not. If you put a fwd pistol grip on a pistol it becomes an AOW (any / all other weapon/s) and requires a stamp.

I'm not sure why they added that to the letter - but then again, i don't know what the exact question the person asked of the ATF was.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    SBR's and rifles can have a fwd pistol grip. A pistol can not. If you put a fwd pistol grip on a pistol it becomes an AOW (any / all other weapon/s) and requires a stamp.

I'm not sure why they added that to the letter - but then again, i don't know what the exact question the person asked of the ATF was.
    The letter posted listed the approved configurations. The question sent was relative to a folding stock replacing the original. Although we do not see the original letter, it must have been asked if adding a handguard was permissible and as you saw, it was under the "rifle" category. As others have said, adding it to a non-rifle gets you a AOW and that requires a stamp.

Will keep this in mind. It may be an option that I'll have to think about. A suppressor is in the long range plans as well, though I don't plan for it to be a permanent attachment. Perhaps by that point, I'll simply SBR it too....we'll see.
    The suppressor is seperate and has a stamp of its own. You can move it and use it on any gun you want. I have several that I purchased boosters or collets with different threads to use on different hosts.

If you want it small, pick up a new stripped lower and have it transferred as a "other" then complete the lower yourself.
    It is very easy to do. Just remember...once you add a stock, it is a rifle and the BAFTE considers having extra stocks that are not currently installed on other rifles to be available for mounting on your new lower so that can equal constructive intent. That means if you get caught and the agent wants to, he has all of the requirements to proscute you as you would be in possession of the parts needed to have an unregistered SBR.

What I did was order a pistol buffer tube and built it myself.
    I now have a 7" .223 AR pistol that is a hoot to shoot.

The plan is to send the papers on it and create a SBR but until then, I have a neat new toy.
    Last edited by EchoAngel17; June 23rd, 2010 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Understanding the limited protection afforded by a letter drafted to someone else, this information is helpful.

Will keep this in mind. It may be an option that I'll have to think about. A suppressor is in the long range plans as well, though I don't plan for it to be a permanent attachment. Perhaps by that point, I'll simply SBR it too....we'll see.

Thanks for the input guys!
    Me thinks if you see it as a SBR in the future with a can attached, you can get a 11.5" barrel with a 5" flash hinderer that either gets pinned or very gently welded to keep the overall length legal until you decide if you want to do a SBR.

saw a couple different style flash hinderers at the last gun show in Lebanon for $20
    Last edited by tdyoung58; June 27th, 2010 at 06:08 PM.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123