Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: "Accidental" SBR?

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    That is sexy.

Do you have any info on that stock? Mostly, I’m interested in length and length of pull. Does it come with a special buffer tube?

After my last carbine class, I’m beginning to see the value in a fixed full stock. The A2's are too long and I can't find any A1's.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; June 6th, 2010 at 10:11 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post

This is correct. For example, let's say I own an AR-15 that meets the legal definition of a long arm (barrel length >16", overall length >26"). I then purchase an upper receiver with a 10" barrel, intending to build an SBR, without first owning an NFA-registered SBR lower receiver. Because that 10"-barreled upper receiver can easily be placed onto the AR-15 lower receiver that I already own by pulling two detented pins, it's considered "constructive intent" of an unregistered SBR.

To avoid the hassle, if you wanted to build an SBR, you would first buy and register your lower receiver as an SBR. You could then own short-barreled (<16") upper receivers legally.

I am not a lawyer, but I do know how to cover my ass.
    Couldn't you also have a stripped lower for that upper and be in the process of a pistol build?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    That is sexy.

Do you have any info on that stock? Mostly, I’m interested in length and length of pull. Does it come with a special buffer tube?

After my last carbine class, I’m beginning to see the value in a fixed full stock. The A2's are too long and I can't find any A1's.
    It looks like a short stock to me. Shorter than A1. I've never seen one on the range but they are a common product.

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    That is sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    It looks like a short stock to me. Shorter than A1. I've never seen one on the range but they are a common product.
    It appears to be a Rock River Arms Entry buttstock, or a similar stock:

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Couldn't you also have a stripped lower for that upper and be in the process of a pistol build?
    Yes, you could, but the stripped lower receiver would have to have been listed as a pistol receiver by the manufacturer on its books. Even then, the BATFE might still try to find a way to demonstrate constructive intent. It's not something I'd mess around with; I think AR-type pistols are a waste, anyway.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post

Yes, you could, but the stripped lower receiver would have to have been listed as a pistol receiver by the manufacturer on its books. Even then, the BATFE might still try to find a way to demonstrate constructive intent. It's not something I'd mess around with; I think AR-type pistols are a waste, anyway.
    It doesn't have to be listed as a "pistol". All it has to be is listed as being sold originally as a stripped lower from the manufacturer. Pistol marking is something that some manufacturers do to make their customers happy.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    It doesn't have to be listed as a "pistol". All it has to be is listed as being sold originally as a stripped lower from the manufacturer. Pistol marking is something that some manufacturers do to make their customers happy.
    And customers buy "pistol"-marked AR receivers for the same reason I'm suggesting - covering their asses.

(Centre County)

That is sexy.

It's shorter than an A1, it is the RRA entry stock. I'll have to measure the LOP when I get home. The other stock I was looking at was a Sully stock, seemed shorter than an A1 but longer than an Entry stock.
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

ok found some dimensions.

RRA Entry is the length of a CAR or M4 stock completely collapsed. - listed as 7"
    Defensive Edge Sully Stock is listed as 8"
    A1 listed as 10"
    A2 listed as 10.75-11 depending from what I've found.

Hope that helps...
    Buy a silencer.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

OH and to keep this on topic.

Greg, There is no combo that you can build up with a collapsible stock that will be less than 26inches unless you use a barrel less than 16. The M4 w/ a 14.5 barrel and collapsible stock is 29.8 inches I believe that is with an A2 flash hider on there too so even if you went with a 14.5 inch barrel w/ a pinned/welded FH the shortest you would go would be aprox 30-30.1 inches.

Hope that helps
    Buy a silencer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Monroe County)

I want to go back a few posts, the scanned ATF letter mentioned about having a FWD pistol grip and about the 16" bbl, What does the pistol grip have to do with it? Can SBR's not have them?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast