Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: I have a question about DA/SA pistols w/o external safeties

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    If you carried a P-series Sig w/ a cocked hammer, if would take only a glancing touch of the trigger to drop the hammer, at which point the round will certainly fire, since the trigger to the rear would defeat the FP safety...

If you want to carry a gun in SA mode, a thumb safety is a must. Glock-style pistols are only partially cocked before the trigger is pulled (not true DA nor true SA, really), and there is also much more travel in a Glock-type trigger than in a Sig P-series trigger in single action mode...

I can't imagine why anyone would want to carry a Sig P-series cocked? Maybe I misunderstood the question, though...

Regards,

Bones
    I didn't bother reading the rest of the thread, because this one really hit the mark. I have been issued both and can't agree with this more.
    Jules

(Jefferson County)

"Testing" the safety features of a gun is not something you do with live ammunition. It is reckless and stupid. Would you pull the trigger as hard as you can on a gun with an external safety engaged and a live round in the chamber? I would not. While I trust the safety devices on all of my guns, they can and do fail on a very limited basis. But consider, very limited basis is what carrying a firearm is all about for a law-abiding citizen as it is--most go their entire lives without ever having to draw their weapon once. At least, sensible gun owners.

The difference between a DA/SA gun carried cocked and a Glock is that a Glock has a trigger safety (and a much longer travel as has been mentioned a number of times), so a glancing impact on the trigger will not set the gun off. At least, 999 times out of 1000. While I believe the most effective safety anyone has is between their ears, that doesn't mean safeties, automatic or manual, are to be written off entirely.
    Last edited by levib; June 5th, 2010 at 08:08 AM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i think i would have asked for a refund and left the class personally...but, to each his own.
    Being that we all footed the bill, your're going to have to talk to the IRS about htat refund

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123