Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default amd65 by century arms. a buy for 370?

As some of you may know I have been looking for a rifle and I may have found it. I have one reserved until tuesday and I can buy it out the door for 370 dollars, all inclusive.

It is an AMD65 ak47 type rifle. Looks exactly like this gun http://www.ak-47.us/45lover/index.php except the rear and front grips are wood. I am really excited about this one but I had to control myself so I could do some research and ask here as well.

The compensator is welded on in two places....can i dremel off this weld so I can screw on and off various compensators if I wanted? Not a big deal if I cant.

The action is smooth but it gets stuck in the rear position with manual charging of the bolt. I was told in my other thread "battle rifle" that this happens only during manual charging and not during the bolt's normal action when it is pushed backwards by the force of the bullet.

It has a mojo rear sight. I love this. You basically line up the mojo sight's circle with the basic AK front 'U,' I hate the regular AK sights. Pic here: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

The magazines fit nice and snug, there is minimal play left and right and virtually none front to back. The trigger says Tapco on it, feels new but I did not dry fire it.

The receiver says Century Arms on it. And the shop owner said it was a "kit gun."

Here is the only thing I would think would be bad about this gun. It is used.... The owner said he didn't think it was used much though. I took it apart and put my finger inside the piston chamber, minimal carbon deposit. Spring looked fine, everything looked fine to my untrained non gun smith's eyes. Except....one thing. If I am correct the bolt fits into the bolt carrier? Well then, the bolt carrier looks like someone dremeled a part of the bottom right of it.

In this picture, http://www.notpurfect.com/main/akds5.JPG, where it says 11527...below that and to the left a little was the damage in question. It looks like dremeling and not wear and tear. I can see places of wear and tear throughout the gun, but nothing to concern me but this. The store owner, did not know what it was either. Would a new bolt be very expensive?

So for 2 30 round mags, 1 amd65, and all expenses included, is 370 a good deal for this gun?

I forgot to ask the store owner if the gun barrel is chrome lined and if the bolt was chrome. Damn.
    Last edited by Jackal; October 6th, 2007 at 07:01 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: amd65 by century arms. a buy for 370?

It's made by century. Their kits are put togeather by trained monkeys. The bolt was probably ground down a bit because the clearances were not correct. This is not abnormal for century. That being said, it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by jh664322 View Post
    As some of you may know I have been looking for a rifle and I may have found it. I have one reserved until tuesday and I can buy it out the door for 370 dollars, all inclusive.

It is an AMD65 ak47 type rifle. Looks exactly like this gun http://www.ak-47.us/45lover/index.php except the rear and front grips are wood. I am really excited about this one but I had to control myself so I could do some research and ask here as well.

The compensator is welded on in two places....can i dremel off this weld so I can screw on and off various compensators if I wanted? Not a big deal if I cant.

The action is smooth but it gets stuck in the rear position with manual charging of the bolt. I was told in my other thread "battle rifle" that this happens only during manual charging and not during the bolt's normal action when it is pushed backwards by the force of the bullet.

It has a mojo rear sight. I love this. You basically line up the mojo sight's circle with the basic AK front 'U,' I hate the regular AK sights. Pic here: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

The magazines fit nice and snug, there is minimal play left and right and virtually none front to back. The trigger says Tapco on it, feels new but I did not dry fire it.

The receiver says Century Arms on it. And the shop owner said it was a "kit gun."

Here is the only thing I would think would be bad about this gun. It is used.... The owner said he didn't think it was used much though. I took it apart and put my finger inside the piston chamber, minimal carbon deposit. Spring looked fine, everything looked fine to my untrained non gun smith's eyes. Except....one thing. If I am correct the bolt fits into the bolt carrier? Well then, the bolt carrier looks like someone dremeled a part of the bottom right of it.

In this picture, http://www.notpurfect.com/main/akds5.JPG, where it says 11527...below that and to the left a little was the damage in question. It looks like dremeling and not wear and tear. I can see places of wear and tear throughout the gun, but nothing to concern me but this. The store owner, did not know what it was either. Would a new bolt be very expensive?

So for 2 30 round mags, 1 amd65, and all expenses included, is 370 a good deal for this gun?

I forgot to ask the store owner if the gun barrel is chrome lined and if the bolt was chrome. Damn.
    It is a damn good deal in my opinion. I have seen some CIA AMD-65 at Surplus City for almost 500 bucks! Look like it is a folding stock version and that should make it more valuable, he he hehh..

I don't think the barrel is chrome lined according to this http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetai...rod=RI1298%2DX (if this is the similar gun that you saw)
    But what the heck, it is an AK.....shoot it and forget it, he hehe

1FingrCHan

(Chester County)

I thought it was a good deal too. Trained monkeys is a good or bad thing?

Is the chrome lining even an issue? This is not a machine gun and will not deal with that heat, I will use non-corrosive rounds, why would it need to be chrome lined? What is the big deal with chrome lining to begin with?

Bottom line. I want it to shoot every time and I want to beat the hell out of it, accuracy doesn't matter anyhow. Is this the rifle?

I thought it was a good deal too. Trained monkeys is a good or bad thing?

Is the chrome lining even an issue? This is not a machine gun and will not deal with that heat, I will use non-corrosive rounds, why would it need to be chrome lined? What is the big deal with chrome lining to begin with?

Bottom line. I want it to shoot every time and I want to beat the hell out of it, accuracy doesn't matter anyhow. Is this the rifle?
    For home defense "weapon", it got way more power than a 357 mag. In my opinion, an AK is a 100 yard rifle. It can go throught BG kevlar vest (if they wear them)...and it makes sound like big dogs, he he heh. Dude, just buy them...370 for a folding stock AMD, even monkey-built, is a good choice.

1FingrCHan

(Erie County)

I have an AMD65 that I built from an A+ parts kit and an Ewbanks receiver.

That price is rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrealy good.

Try and find another AK and compare them.

If there really are grind marks, that is a no go. When they slap them together it should be fairly crisp. If there are parts grinded down, thats because it didn't work originally. If you want some pictures to compare to the one your looking at lemme know I can snap a couple.

(Philadelphia County)

Century has received more than its fair share of negative feedback concerning their assembly reputation. You will see this if you do some google searches and visit some other forums, especially surplus rifle dot com. But in the end, it is an AK, and it will more than likely go bang every time.

I think it is a good price for a lightly used gun and because that particular model isn't really offered by anyone else other than Century. Your only other options are to DIY or send it off to a builder, which will cost you more time and or money. New ones are about $500 now from what I've seen.

There is nothing wrong with corrosive ammo as long as you clean it promptly and properly after firing it. I've seen pictures from the aforementioned forum where it shows that chrome lining doesn't really matter concerning corrosive ammo. Given the right conditions, it will rust. I'm not saying to take it as gospel, I don't, but I clean all my guns after firing regardless.

(Montgomery County)

just a note, the front handguard is mis fitted on EVERY AMD that Century makes, because they used a diferent trunnion that does not have the handguard support grooves in it.
    the rear of the handguard needs to be supported, it will not fit right the way they make them.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

If this picture is your gun, the bore is chromed. If not, compare the chamber appearance to this one. It's out of focus, but the chrome plating in the chamber is plainly visible.

As others have posted, not a deal breaker if not chromed. It's mostly for throat wear resistance when fired full auto for extended periods, corrosion resistance is a plus. If you take care of your gun, it won't make a difference other than perhaps collector interest years from now.

If I were in your shoes, my next move would be a range where I'd test it out. I've been surprised more than once this way...some odd ducks that could *really* shoot, and some real lookers that couldn't.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    If this picture is your gun, the bore is chromed. If not, compare the chamber appearance to this one. It's out of focus, but the chrome plating in the chamber is plainly visible.

As others have posted, not a deal breaker if not chromed. It's mostly for throat wear resistance when fired full auto for extended periods, corrosion resistance is a plus. If you take care of your gun, it won't make a difference other than perhaps collector interest years from now.

If I were in your shoes, my next move would be a range where I'd test it out. I've been surprised more than once this way...some odd ducks that could *really* shoot, and some real lookers that couldn't.
    I didnt mention this was from Seneca Arms out in Green Lane. As said earlier, bolts are no more than 100 dollars i've seen. Turns out I'm not as worried about the grinding as I thought, it will still shoot I'm sure. I just wish I knew why it was there and there really is no way I can get this information.

I don't know If I can range test this from Seneca....I have a feeling I'd be laughed at if I tried. That AK pictured is not my gun, that was just to illustrate where the grinding was at. The one i'm looking at is the amd65. If I don't find any damning evidence I will go back and get it on tuesday when Seneca opens again. I will search google some more first about these claims.

Maybe I will ask the guy at Seneca if I can snap a picture of the wear and run it by you guys here.
    Last edited by Jackal; October 7th, 2007 at 02:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast