Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Simunition For Civilians?

This looks a lot more fun and realistic then paintball. My cousin got to train with this stuff in the Army. Is this stuff legal for civilians to buy and use? If so; how much, where can I get it, how much would conversion kits cost? If civilians can't, why the hell not?

http://www.simunition.com/cartridges/fx_training_en.php

Last edited by Kratos; June 3rd, 2010 at 09:33 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Simunition For Civilians?

USA
    Simunition Operations
    P.O. Box 576
    Avon, CT 06001-0576 USA
    Tel. USA only: 1-800-465-8255
    Tel.: 1-860-404-0162
    Fax: 1-860-404-0169

I was thinking about this for a while too, but everyone was too much of a pussy to train with me, plus its expensive.

http://www.simunition.com/upload/doc_12.pdf

(Allegheny County)

i'm pretty sure FX (the company that makes simunitions) will only sell them to law enforcement/military/etc. (you'll have to ask them why.)

airsoft works pretty well (and is much cheaper) as a substitute for simunitions for doing FoF training, imho.

the key, though, is to make sure you are training, and not just playing games.

(playing games is fun, but tends to ingrain bad tactical habits.)
    F*S=k

(York County)

You can, but they're quite expensive. I found some online a while back, but don't remember the site. The .223 simunitions that you show here require a modified bolt (more $$$) and the 9mm you show here require a modified upper receiver for an AR (even more $$$!)

I've used these multiple times, and they're a good training tool. They will pierce skin and some kinds of clothing, so if you ever do get your hands on some make sure you're all covered up.

(Montgomery County)

I would recommend against "casual" use of this simunition stuff. Instead, spend the money on realistic training at Thunder Ranch, The SigArms Academy, LFI, Gunsite or the Smith and Wesson Academy. Games are fun and all, but real training is far more valuable.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Northampton County)

Simunition's does not want to sell to or train civilians. (must be nice to have money)You also have a huge amount of equipment /conversions to purchase and gear. You are not going to use this stuff with paint ball masks. My sim's mask cost me $230.00

(Allegheny County)

The idea of bringing a bunch of untrained individuals in and they all have to have the conversion done properly and all the guns have to be checked and loaded with the proper Simunition ammo is just a ND of a live cartridge just waiting to happen.

Now if one of the training companies offered this as an option where you paid to use there training guns and Simunition ammo that might be a different story.

(York County)

Conversions are easy, I've done them many times. It's simply a drop in bolt change or a complete upper receiver change (no modifications need to be made to the lower receiver). You will also need special magazines if you are using the 9mm simunitions.

I have conducted training with the expensive sim masks, and in other gear as easy as buying ballistic goggles and a padded facemask. The last time I got sim stuff (or UTM, which is what we call it - Universal training munition), we just pulled ballistic goggles and padded face/neck guards. Be sure to protect your face and neck, and if you're not wearing a helmet, your head as well. You can train with less gear, but these things cause more than a hickey, so if you value your face I would cover your whole head.

For a training course, this would be a good option....for an individual it just doesn't make much sense, since you can buy airsoft guns for much cheaper and achieve the same desired effect. I have the feeling that a lot of people would buy these just so they could shoot someone with a "real" gun, and I'm pretty sure they don't sell them to individuals based on that.

Train with pros and get the equipment the pros use. "Train" in your backyard and you're limited to what you can buy on the civilian market. Train with pros and know that you're getting good instruction, "train" in your backyard and most likely you are just going to end up in what I like to call a "snowball fight". If you're looking for fun, it's getting hot out....water balloons are cheap and fun.

p.s. that first video is of the Air Force, and IMO is a terrible example of clearing and breaching. The second video is from the 10th MTN Division and is a little older, probably around 7 or 8 years old...I saw it a while back. The last video is from a National guard or reserve training unit...not bashing them, but it doesn't really display the "pro" I was talking about ^
    Last edited by Andrew17019; June 3rd, 2010 at 02:50 PM.

(Allegheny County)

i have trained using simulated munitions using just paintball/airsoft masks (full face with goggles) with some extra mesh under the chin area to keep any from sneaking up under the mask and a throat guard hanging down.

it seems to work fine to me...just make sure your entire face and ears are covered and your throat is protected.

personally, i think airsoft BBs actually sting a bit more than sims. (sims hit a bit harder, but the force is more spread out and the projectile deforms absorbing some of the energy.) i have had both draw a little blood on rare occasion, but no biggie.
    F*S=k

Piss poor technique in the first video. Everyone through the door had the "So this is what the girls bathroom looks like!" look of wonderment. I'd suggest real training over this gee-whiz stuff.

Join the armed forces if you want to clear buildings. Enroll in a training schoolif you want to hone your survival skills. That is what you are doing as a civilian when you are in armed conflicts on the street, fighting to survive.

Some of you oldtimers can back me up on this but back 15 years ago what were you supposed to do when you come home and see your door kicked in? You were to leave the area and call the cops. Now after watching a bazillion action flicks people want to pull their gun and go looking for trouble...

I ain't trained for it and I don't get paid for it so I ain't gonna do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast